Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
(03-20-2024, 03:10 PM)Stewy Wrote: And everyone of my point still stands while you quote statistics.  Everything i said, about his longevity vs normal, his contract and age vs. normal and how our FO handled it is still 100% true.  There were no signs that Whit could would should defy the odds and play at a probowl level to nearly 40.  

And the Rams completely over paid based upon the market for his age and ability.  It worked out for them.  They and Whit beat the odds, but that does not mean our FO did wrong or behaved in a poor manner. 

And how easily we forget, or is it omission to help your argument, that Whit rarely played in pre-season, always getting veteran time off during the year because he was always nursing a knee or back or something.  Let's not pretend he was friggin superman.  The FO and the league had evidence for obvious concern to give him a 3 year contract at that price.

There were plenty of signs that Whit could defy the odds, he was 1st Team All-Pro as a 36-year-old. He clearly was going to be able to play at least 2 more years as the 3 year deal had an fully unguaranteed year 3. When he was at such a high peak at the time that even if he took a step back he would have still been massively above average.

Also your whole "hindsight" false argument (there were a lot who thought it was dumb to let him go at the time) forgot that their replacement plan for Whit at LT was CEDRIC OGBUEHI who was probably the worst intended starting OL I think I had ever seen the previous two years.

Overpaid for ability? Age you could MAYBE get a bit of an edge in because he was indeed old, but the second you mention ability, you are just objectively wrong. He was an All-Pro and playing at an incredibly high level of ability.

Who cares if he got Wednesdays off practice for being a vet if he suited up and played at a high level every game? That's very common around the league for great vets. Every player is nursing something or another throughout the season. He didn't miss games and he performed at a high level.

- - - - - -

It's just funny that you started this by saying people forgot history, but you're outright changing history by framing Whit as a guy with extensive injury and and ability questions? Dude was an All-Pro who had missed 2 games in his last 8 years as a Bengal.

The Bengals just drafted Ogbuehi who was clearly a bust but they refused to accept it and felt compelled to start him in order to try to justify the picks they made instead of drafting other players to push to get a SB when they already had Whit.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - TheLeonardLeap - 03-20-2024, 03:23 PM