Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
(03-23-2024, 11:29 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you don't think a major reason they took Jones in 4th round was not to anticipate not signing Boyd..  Because he did not play alot last year (part was injury) does not cancel him out from taking on the role this year.. I am not saying he will even out with production of Boyd and as much as I like Boyd, he did have a disappointing year and his production has decreased

just because a player does not play alot their 1st year (especially when they are stuck behind 3 veterans and missed games with injuries) does not mean they are unable to contribute the next year...  it sure looks like that was the plan when they drafted Jones.. regardless they have other avenues also if they want to pursue them at WR  ie giving Irwin more reps or signing a veteran in preseason etc.

Perhaps. Personally, I think we took Jones & Yoshi to do two things: upgrade the depth at WR (Stanley Morgan & Mike Thomas) and be a possible hedge vs Boyd & Higgins leaving. 

They aleady accomplished #1. #2 is possible, but neither guy is anywhere near convincing me they are ready to be WR2/WR3 on a contender. 

The Bengals don't seem convinced either, with our WR coach at the Texas pro-day (Mitchell, Worthy). 

Really, guys like Turner & Hill & Murphy have shown more than Yoshi & Jones. Turner & Hill played 2,000 snaps last year between them. Jones played under 100 (on offense) and most of those were vs Cleveland's backups. Yoshi was around 200-300, IIRC.

We have 4 top 100 picks. I'd say CB, WR, OT, and DT/NT are the top priorities for them ATM. Though what happens in FA & before us in the draft could change that. TE, IOL, and RB could be in play, too. 

We are scouting WRs and offering FA CBs contracts. I think it is safe to say both positions are gonna be addressed somehow. 

I think our biggest "holes" atm are a NT type to replace Reader and a WR3 to replace Boyd. Maybe there isn't a true TE1, but Gesicki/Sample/Hudson is already better than what we had last year.

With Brown & Brown, OT is not a hole, per se. But given Trent's injury history and 1 year contract and exceptionally deep OT class, a chance to draft a franchise level OT may not come around again.

CB is depth for the moment. Even if you buy Turner as CB2 and Hill moving to CB, Dax is likely a slot guy. Davis is. Ivey is inexperienced and had a major injury. Hilton in his last year, and we still need another boundary corner.

I guess I coukd be talked into IOL or TE if the right name is there. Or RB day 2. But I am hoping to see OT, NT, WR, CB be the next additions.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-23-2024, 11:50 AM