Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Democrats losing all credibility in denial of overwhelming evidence..
(03-23-2024, 11:41 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I wasn't at the Capitol, I was at several BLM protests, and no, they were not all because of the George Floyd murder.  Several of them were protests over completely lawful, and necessary, shootings involving law enforcement.  Fanatical is absolutely a word I'd use for those people.

That might be understandable enough, call them fanatical, but the issue I have with it is that they are not fanatical about Democrats specifically. You, imho, can not count them as firmly in their side's camp as you have to put the Capitol stormers into Trump's camp. The BLM protesters, fanatic and violent or not, would not listen to any democrat as devoutly as all the Capitol folks would have listened to Trump. I'd even argue most of them merely see democrats as the lesser evil of the two alternatives around, that this is the whole basis of any real party affiliation. Which imho is why a BLM protest does not look like a democrat party event, unlike the Capitol storm that quite visibly was 100% in Trump's name.

(03-23-2024, 11:41 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Also, the comparison is that both sides have engaged in political violence and no, it is not, as asserted by our resident word twisters, a discussion about which side is worse.  The answer is both sides suck.  Also, it is 100% a fact that Dem politicians excused, and in some cases encouraged the political violence.   So no, there is no moral high ground to be claimed here.

I can't go with "both sides suck", not that I want to disagree in principle, as the only viable answer, for one because in any comparison like that, it sure inherently matters to me if the equivalency is fair or who is actually worse. And when it comes to that, imho it's not that black and white, there's still different variations of grey. I most certainly don't call all democrats blameless, but the most influential liberal politicians did not endorse violence, most certainly the presidential candidate did not. While the other candidate, the one that dominates his party, "loves" the capitol rioters, calls them incredible patriots and whatnot. And as long as there's no important democrat (not just some isolated backbencher) calling a stone-throwing, car-burning BLM rioter something akin to that, I feel the comparison falls flat already. And that's not even considering the whole coup aspect.

(03-23-2024, 11:41 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Lastly, it is completely acceptable, and rational to find all of these incidents awful and unacceptable.  But, you'll notice several people here are not doing that.

Oh sure, and I would agree that there's a lot of downplaying around that seems uncalled for, indeed on both sides. But that can not be the basis to declare democrats equally at fault for BLM riots as Trump is for the Capitol storm. That, to me, is just as much of an unreasonable simplification as claiming one side is totally spotless would be.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Democrats losing all credibility in denial of overwhelming evidence.. - hollodero - 03-23-2024, 12:45 PM