Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals
(04-07-2024, 06:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Probably because you have routinely referred to Israel as an "ethnic state".  Is that ethnicity not Jewish?  I'm sure they'd be surprised to hear otherwise.  Thanks for playing, as always.

That's some bad and very motivated reasoning. It's been addressed by others, but I'd like to spell out why it is bad.

Israel refers to itself as an ethnic state, a "Jewish state," and in 2007 even required the PA recognize it as a Jewish state. So I do too.

But there are 7 million self-identified Jews in the world who are not Israeli citizens and whom I do not hold responsible for what Israel does.  

So I've made clear criticism of Israel =/= criticism of "the Jews" as you sometimes call them, even if Israel is a Jewish ethnic state. 

Changing my words to conflate criticism of Israel with criticism of all Jewish people, then intimating some dark and sinister dislike of "the Jews" must  be behind it all, is just one more bad faith misconstruction of my position in a long series of such.

You take it yet a step further when you free-associate critique of Palestinian dispossession to White Nationalist Replacement Theory, however unclearly. 

(04-07-2024, 06:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I wonder if you have such qualifiers for other issues?  Having to have skin in the game to care about its outcome is a rather pathetic position.  I'm not gay, but I care how gay people are treated.  I'm not black or Hispanic, but I care how they are treated.  You're not Jewish, and you damned sure care a lot about what they do.  Seems a rather inconsistent position on your part.

Er, OtherMike is the one who brought up the daughter issue. I wasn't arguing that I cared only because I had a daughter. 

So there was no "pathetic position" articulated there, such that one has to have skin in the game to care. 

So really no occasion to channel your inner "Progressive." 

This is like changing my criticisms of Israel to criticism of "the Jews"--imputing to me a position I have not taken, then finding it "inconsistent." 

Changing my statements on Israel was deliberate misconstruction. This time I think you sincerely misunderstood d the argument, who said what and why. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bond slashed to 175 million while Trump appeals - Dill - 04-08-2024, 10:35 AM