Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Bengals draft best center or best OG with #1 pick?
The Bengals have generally devalued interior OL in the draft in round 1. I believe Zeitler was the last good #1 pick on the interior and latest bust was Price.

The Ravens and the Steelers need IOL. The Ravens need 2 guard and Steelers need a center. Our center is a FA in 2025. Should they target a future replacement for Karras? The number 1 ranked center/Guard is Jackson Powers- Johnson from Oregon. He is mocked to the Steelers at pick 20 in a few mock drafts.

He is clearly the #1 center in the2024 draft according to the experts. I keep hearing a lot about the AFCN running games, if Steelers can't get their center of the future, it could hurt them and help us at a minimum in 2025, or he could compete with Volson at LG as well.

I am assuming the versatile OL Troy Fautanu is gone, but if he available, he may a no brainer as he can play all of the OL positions including RT. 

I know we have a lot of options, but unless we extend Karras, we could have a huge hole in the middle protecting our franchise QB in 2025.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I would really like to see Graham Barton in stripes but I don't think he will go top 20 or slide to #49.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 04:42 PM)Synric Wrote: I would really like to see Graham Barton in stripes but I don't think he will go top 20 or slide to #49.

I see him ranked as high as 24 an as low as 43 in the various rankings.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Would love for us to Draft Powers-Johnson or Graham Barton. I just don't think either will be available at 49 so we would have
to get one of them in a trade down or trade up or just take Powers-Johnson at 18. Would be fine with it by the way especially
since the stealers might target him at 20. Would love to take the guy they want he he Hehe
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 02:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The Bengals have generally devalued interior OL in the draft in round 1. I believe Zeitler was the last good #1 pick on the interior and latest bust was Price.

The Ravens and the Steelers need IOL. The Ravens need 2 guard and Steelers need a center. Our center is a FA in 2025. Should they target a future replacement for Karras? The number 1 ranked center/Guard is Jackson Powers- Johnson from Oregon. He is mocked to the Steelers at pick 20 in a few mock drafts.

He is clearly the #1 center in the2024 draft according to the experts. I keep hearing a lot about the AFCN running games, if Steelers can't get their center of the future, it could hurt them and help us at a minimum in 2025, or he could compete with Volson at LG as well.

I am assuming the versatile OL Troy Fautanu is gone, but if he available, he may a no brainer as he can play all of the OL positions including RT. 

I know we have a lot of options, but unless we extend Karras, we could have a huge hole in the middle protecting our franchise QB in 2025.

I like it.

RT and the interior o-line needs addressed in the draft due to potential holes next year. Even if Karras is extended, he could replace Volson, who has his shortcomings, to be generous...

Count me on board, unless a tackle they love is available.
Reply/Quote
One thing the Bengals are known to do is draft a year in advance. Right now we will be somewhat thin next offseason with IOL. I could easily see them taking a C in round 1.

Quite honestly - I could see them going any of the following: C, OT, DT, CB, WR
Reply/Quote
Yes they could
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I could see JPJ as a guard/center or any number of tackles getting moved inside this year and never moving back outside. I don't see a pure guard going in round 1, and certainly not to the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
He sure fits the theme of giant OL. How many 330lbs C are there starting in the NFL?

I would love it.

It's a big man's game. Somebody said that. I forget who.

I'd let him compete for a starting spot across the interior. I'm a Karras fan and I'm wondering if he has a few years left and if he wants to do it here. Volson would be the most in danger of losing his starting job this year. But Cappa shouldn't be comfortable either. Plugging JPJ in at C and moving Karras to G could be nice.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 03:38 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He sure fits the theme of giant OL. How many 330lbs C are there starting in the NFL?

I would love it.

I'd let him compete for a starting spot across the interior. I'm a Karras fan and I'm wondering if he has a few years left and if he wants to do it here. Volson would be the most in danger of losing his starting job this year. But Cappa shouldn't be comfortable either. Plugging JPJ in at C and moving Karras to G could be nice.

I would hope the blueprint would be him stepping in for Volsen this year and learning next to Karras, then the two flipping after the bye, so Karras could continue to help him.

That would free the Bengals to move on from Karras next season, or re-sign him for insurance for the IOL (my preference).
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 02:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The Bengals have generally devalued interior OL in the draft in round 1. I believe Zeitler was the last good #1 pick on the interior and latest bust was Price.

Zeitler was the last player drafted in the first (not top 5) that contributed year one. Crazy
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 03:38 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He sure fits the theme of giant OL. How many 330lbs C are there starting in the NFL?

I would love it.

He would be a valuable commodity to have in a division where we face mammoth interior DLs 6x per season, plus possible playoff matchups.

Edit: On another note, how nice would it be to watch Joe B. just sneak it behind Center on 3rd and 2, and gain the yardage most tries?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Trade back with someone who needs a center.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 10:07 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Zeitler was the last player drafted in the first (not top 5) that contributed year one. Crazy

And we let him walk to two division rivals. The one olineman we’ve really hit on in recent years we let walk. Lol
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 10:07 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Zeitler was the last player drafted in the first (not top 5) that contributed year one.  Crazy

And even then we passed on David DeCasto
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'd be good with a top corner, top DT, top OT, or top C/G prospect.

I prefer not to draft a WR in the 1st as they are pretty much a 50/50 on whether they will be any good or not (and I don't expect the top 3 to fall to us at 18).

I'd be good with selecting one of the top edge players if they fell to us too, but I don't think that will happen.
Reply/Quote
FWIW, recently saw an article saying that NFL scouts were not as high on JPJ as the internet scouting community and it would be unlikely that he goes Top 25. Some even indicate mid-2nd round. Pulling up lame at both the Senior Bowl and Combine have hurt him a bit, as well as his short arms.

Barton, on the other hand, don't be shocked if he goes Top 15.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 04:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And even then we passed on David DeCasto

I'm still pissed about that.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 04:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And even then we passed on David DeCasto

(03-30-2024, 03:44 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm still pissed about that.

Would it have really made a difference if the Bengals took DeCastro rather than Zeitler?  I mean, they likely would have allowed DeCastro to walk at the same moment they let Zeitler walk..  And THAT is one Bengal personnel philosophy that I do not agree with.  Interior OL, DL, LB and Safety are the fundamental building blocks of a good team.  If you're strong in those areas, you don't need to pay for superstar talent on the perimeters.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think shoring up the interior is just as important as RT, if not more so. I feel like interior pressure effects our offense more than off the edges (unless of course it's a premier pass rusher like Watt and Garrett). Joe has proven he can escape the edge guys with roll outs and off script scrambles, but those plays where the interior gets immediately blown up just absolutely wreck the play. Getting a massive, versatile, highly rated prospect to push a current starter to a back up role or to have as year 1 depth with the intent to take over in year 2 would be a good thing.

If Trent Brown didn't have his injury history I would run the JPJ pick to the podium. Can a quality OT be had in rounds 2-4 in this supposed deep class, that can spot start if TBrown gets hurt? Take over in year 2? If so, what does that do for our NT need?
Reply/Quote