Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If we're this close
Shouldn't we move up in the 1st round and pickup someone like Marvin Harrison Jr., Odunze or Nabers?

Give up next year's first and this year's first.

Then trade our multiple draft picks for another 2nd rounder?

Are we all in this year or aren't we?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 05:48 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Shouldn't we move up in the 1st round and pickup someone like Marvin Harrison Jr., Odunze or Nabers?

We need to be all in on the trenches, this is what should get us right back in the Super Bowl IMO.

I love those 3 WR's, but it will cost us the trenches if we trade up for one of them most likely. We need RT for the future an IOL and we 
need a run stopping NT. Granted if we don't get all this in the draft we could certainly pick up a Guard like Connor Williams, Dalton Risner
or Andrus Peat after the draft. If we can protect Burrow look out.

Now in the 2nd round if someone we really like is falling I am definitely not against trading up for him. Adonai Mitchell, Malachi Corley, 
Ladd McConkey, Ricky Pearsall, Legette etc.

There should be a lot of weapons in the 2nd round to take our Offense to another level. I am just not for trading up in the first.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 06:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We need to be all in on the trenches, this is what should get us right back in the Super Bowl IMO.

I love those 3 WR's, but it will cost us the trenches if we trade up for one of them most likely. We need RT for the future an IOL and we 
need a run stopping NT. Granted if we don't get all this in the draft we could certainly pick up a Guard like Connor Williams, Dalton Risner
or Andrus Peat after the draft. If we can protect Burrow look out.

Now in the 2nd round if someone we really like is falling I am definitely not against trading up for him. Adonai Mitchell, Malachi Corley, 
Ladd McConkey, Ricky Pearsall, Legette etc.

There should be a lot of weapons in the 2nd round to take our Offense to another level. I am just not for trading up in the first.

That's why I said to trade back up to the high 2nd round or even late 1st round to get an OT.  I think DT is decently deep that we can get a solid one in the 3rd/4th round.

I just haven't heard much discussion of us trading UP.  Shouldn't this be an option?  If we get a stud WR and solid DT and OT.  Is that enough?
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 05:48 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Shouldn't we move up in the 1st round and pickup someone like Marvin Harrison Jr., Odunze or Nabers?

Kinda with Nate on this one. I'd love to see what Indy would take to swap 15 for 18, move in front of Seattle and take Tony Fautanu. Other than that stand pat and get what falls to us. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We are all in every year. I would hate to see us mortgage the future.

I think it was comments from the ravens GM I saw the other day. Where he says they are all in every year. The goal is to field a good team capable of winning it all every year. The fans expect it, everybody in the organization expects it. Making some type of move that very well could hurt you in the future isn’t ideal.

We have a ton of free agents next year and will need to reload again. Giving away our early picks next year would hurt that effort, And as Burrow says the window is open as long as he is playing.

I don’t ever remember feeling this good about the roster depth before the draft and still having 10 draft picks to look forward to. If we actually do go best player available and just draft excellent football players and greatly improve our already good roster… I expect big things.
Reply/Quote
Actually I'm in the same boat. I just don't see much discussion of trading up and in a lot of ways, you could argue that we should. Even a Joe Alt could be a target.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 06:08 PM)EatonFan Wrote: That's why I said to trade back up to the high 2nd round or even late 1st round to get an OT.  I think DT is decently deep that we can get a solid one in the 3rd/4th round.

I just haven't heard much discussion of us trading UP.  Shouldn't this be an option?  If we get a stud WR and solid DT and OT.  Is that enough?

Maybe...

Not against that as long as we stay and get our RT in the first. Lots of potentially stud WR's should be available in the early 2nd round and NT's
should be available to help us as late as the 5th round honestly. At 18 we should have one of the top Tackles available. What Bfine said about Troy
Fautanu is about the only way I would trade up, he is as solid an OL as there is and can play Guard instantly.

Seattle is most likely going to take Fautanu, so trading up right in front of them for him could be a solid move. Fautanu is a little older, but he is so
solid that he could start immediately at LG and fill in at RT once Trent Brown eventually gets hurt.

Trading up for MHJ, Odunze or Nabers will cost a lot, especially for MHJ. Trading up a couple picks for Fautanu shouldn't cost us a motherload tho.
Reply/Quote
I guess that begs the question, is there a player in your mind that fell to say 15th that you would trade up for without much thought about it? If XXX player falls to 15th boom, you'd make the trade to snag that guy.
Reply/Quote
But we're not this close as others have pointed out, we need hard nosed players in the trenches. Trading up for a weapon would be a nice thing, but it would require sacrificing draft capital that can and needs to be used in other areas.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Our front office doesn't do business this way. They learn from other people's mistakes, like New Orleans and Ricky Williams. How I wish we would've taken what the Saints were offering to us in that draft but somebody was Hell bent on drafting Akili Smith. I think it's better if we just stay at 18 and take the best RT or DL available at that pick.IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 09:23 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Our front office doesn't do business this way. They learn from other people's mistakes, like New Orleans and Ricky Williams. How I wish we would've taken what the Saints were offering to us in that draft but somebody was Hell bent on drafting Akili Smith. I think it's better if we just stay at 18 and take the best RT or DL available at that pick.IMHO.

IDK.  I think there is a real argument to be made to draft three (1 in the 1st and 2 in the 2nd) 'studs' (but we can't miss) to push us over the hump and reach the SB.  Let's be honest.  The teams that usually go deep in the playoffs are those that are fortunate to not have a ton of injuries.
Reply/Quote
I’ve got to see a couple different mock draft shows and it seems like damn near everybody is a trade back candidate. Almost every team they mention they would trade back.

So who knows. If everybody thinks it’s a deep draft, and there is a glut of teams looking to move back, maybe it could be cheap for us to move up a few spots.
Reply/Quote
If I'm making a big trade it would be for a proven young vet DT like Baramore, Odighizuwa, or Mcniell. We have the best WR in Football; we don't need a high rd rookie Wr or Justin Jefferson.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Duke Tobin hates mortgaging any future assets. I don't see him wanting to trade up. If anything, he loves trading down in the 2nd to pick up an extra mid round pick.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Assuming Tee is playing for the Bengals, are we going to trade up in round 1 for a slot WR, backup OL, rotational DL? I hope not. OTOH, if you can get a player to compete with Trent Brown you do it. It's also a reason I'm looking at CB, because I'm not sold on DJ Turner. Where i would like to see movement is in rounds 2-4 because I think moving up can get us to a higher tier of player available. And the Bengals never seem interested in future picks.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 06:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Kinda with Nate on this one. I'd love to see what Indy would take to swap 15 for 18, move in front of Seattle and take Tony Fautanu. Other than that stand pat and get what falls to us. 

I originally had this move in my Mock but just took Fautanu at #18 instead. The whole will be 29 in the 5th year of his rookie deal is tough. Love the player though.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 06:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Kinda with Nate on this one. I'd love to see what Indy would take to swap 15 for 18, move in front of Seattle and take Tony Fautanu. Other than that stand pat and get what falls to us. 

I’m in favor of moving up a few spots and swapping firsts and throwing in our best 3rd rounder as I’ve said elsewhere a lot of our targets predicted to go right before us.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 01:59 AM)puddycat Wrote: Assuming Tee is playing for the Bengals, are we going to trade up in round 1 for a slot WR, backup OL, rotational DL? I hope not. OTOH, if you can get a player to compete with Trent Brown you do it. It's also a reason I'm looking at CB, because I'm not sold on DJ Turner. Where i would like to see movement is in rounds 2-4 because I think moving up can get us to a higher tier of player available. And the Bengals never seem interested in future picks.

Pretty much this. Our 2 biggest worry positions are CB and RT. Brown staying healthy? Plus we need to fill it long term. CB is important. Need competition.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 07:46 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I guess that begs the question, is there a player in your mind that fell to say 15th that you would trade up for without much thought about it?  If XXX player falls to 15th boom, you'd make the trade to snag that guy.

I have been saying this on some other Threads. The Bengals 4th round pick may be enough to do what you say.

In 2023 the Steelers & Patriots made this Trade. The Steelers went up for Broderick Jones OT.

New England traded a first-round selection (14th) to Pittsburgh in exchange for first- and fourth-round selections (17th and 120th overall)

Compare to Bengals give #18 & #115  to go up to #15.

Players like JC Latham, Fuaga, Byron Murphy II etc may still be there at pick #15 but may not be at pick #18.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 08:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But we're not this close as others have pointed out, we need hard nosed players in the trenches. Trading up for a weapon would be a nice thing, but it would require sacrificing draft capital that can and needs to be used in other areas.

I don't know.  I think the counter argument to that is that despite only having a healthy Joe Burrow for a handful of games, the top two WR's dealing with various injuries, three first year starters in the secondary ,and losing Reader for the year, the club was still only a game away from making the playoffs.  I don't think the outlook is as doom and gloom as some would think.

However, I'm against trading up in the 1st simply because this class is so top heavy, most experts have it as the top 25 players or so being worth a Top 10 pick in another class.  I just see the point in moving up for a Top 10 talent when you can just stay put and get a Top 10 talent.  

Roster wise, yes, we need an immediate starter at WR more than we need any other spot, at least to compete this year.  However, there's a number of great prospects who should be available in the 2nd if you go a different direction in the 1st.

Ultimately, where the true benefit would be, is moving back into the 1st from the 2nd and trying to double dip on that extremely strong 1st round class.
Reply/Quote