THOMAS
10.81%
4 10.81%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 RD1 PK 18 FINAL (Board Pick)
After some of the draftniks picked 1-17 and we opened up the Top 10 to the masses the time has come for us to pick #18.
I’ll do nothing but list the candidate; if you wanna pimp any, feel free.

Vote for one of the following:

JC LATHAM/OT/BAMA
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNpuyqwl2U8UTmbTUN_rD...lj4Rd5hQ&s]

BYRON MURPHY/DT/UT
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmrJfiKrgt06j1fo82h1l...tvKV4JxQ&s]

AMARIUS MIMS/OT/UGA
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz017Fu4fHl2yYmslhN8S...Y7XF5IRA&s]

BRIAN THOMAS/WR/LSU
[Image: usatsi_21715468_168402043_lowres.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Couldn’t help myself.

What would be more impactful for our team? An All World RT like Lane Johnson? Or an All World DT like Aaron Donald? If both turn out to be 100% home run picks who live up to their expectations…

Then give me the guy who has the best chance to be Aaron Donald. Potential defensive player of the year.

Or better yet.

Would you rather?

Willie Anderson or Geno Atkins?
Reply/Quote
The closer to Draft Day we get the more skeptical I am an Offensive Tackle will be available at #18. Everyone in the NFL knows the Bengals really want a RT at 18 so they are a prime candidate to get jumped.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 08:59 AM)Synric Wrote: The closer to Draft Day we get the more skeptical I am an Offensive Tackle will be available at #18. Everyone in the NFL knows the Bengals really want a RT at 18 so they are a prime candidate to get jumped.

I think there is a much greater chance one of the OTs are available than Murphy. 

There are 6 OTs who could go before our pick: Alt (LT), Fashanu (LT), Fuaga (RT), Latham (RT), Fautanu (LT/G), amd Mims (RT). Three LTs and three RTs.

3 QBs and 3 WRs are a given. I think a 4th QB (McCarthy) is nearly one. That is 7. For an OT to fall, only 5 can go, that is 12. We need 5 "other" spots to go before #18.

Turner (DE), Arnold (CB), Mitchell (CB), Murphy (DT), and Bowers (TE) are the 5 I'd bet on. Though each is EXTREMELY tempting to take if there at #18.

Furthermore, I don't think it likely anyone jumps up to take an OT. The 2nd tier of guys: Guyton, Barton, Morris, Suamatia, Paul; is pretty strong, too. 

In real life, I think Latham/Mims are more likely to be there than Murphy. 

Given the board presented, I might take Murphy, but the fact we already have Hill/Rankins at DT, and the fact I think all the 2nd tier OTs are long gone buly #49, and the fact that I think we can circle back to DT on Day 2 (Fiske, Hall, Ohorhoro, Smith, etc), I go ahead and take my OT at #18. 

Mims. 

Those first 5 picks, I have to get: RT, WR3, CB4, & NT. The 5th could go 3T, IOL, or TE. RT is the confluence of biggest need, positional value, and most likely to be available.

Of course, if we plan to take another dip into the FA pool, that could alter things (Gilmore, Nelson, or a vet CB takes CB4 off the board, a discount IOL also looks tempting).
Reply/Quote
Personally, I really want a T at 18. Sadly, Mims and Latham are two pretty high risk prospects, in my opinion.

Between those four, I had to go with Thomas. He's an immediate starter this year at a premium position, plus will really help fill the void left by Higgins next year. As a prospect, his route running is raw, but the kid is a true three level threat and pairing a WR like that with another three level threat in Chase makes a supremely unpredictable offense in terms of route combinations.

I'm predicting Murphy will win the poll, though, simply because this board hates spending premium picks on WR's and Mims and Latham will divide the votes amongst those wanting an OT.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 08:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Couldn’t help myself.

What would be more impactful for our team? An All World RT like Lane Johnson? Or an All World DT like Aaron Donald? If both turn out to be 100% home run picks who live up to their expectations…

Then give me the guy who has the best chance to be Aaron Donald. Potential defensive player of the year.

Or better yet.

Would you rather?

Agree it's a tough call, but to me it boils down to drafting OT5-6 or DT1.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 08:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Couldn’t help myself.

Or better yet.

Would you rather?

Murphy is nowhere close to Donald.  Donald was and still is in a class of his own, athletically.

Geno is a better comparison (although he's a better athlete than Murphy, as well).  If we're talking Geno vs Willie,if Andy Dalton is my QB, I'm taking Geno.  If Joe Burrow is my QB, I'm taking Big Willie all day, every day.  

Keep in mind(and I love Geno and think he's a HoF'er), that Atkins averaged less than 7 sacks a season for his career and only had three seasons with double digit sacks.  DT's don't put up the pass rush numbers you think they would because the good ones face constant double teams.  
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 12:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: Personally, I really want a T at 18.  Sadly, Mims and Latham are two pretty high risk prospects, in my opinion.

Between those four, I had to go with Thomas.  He's an immediate starter this year at a premium position, plus will really help fill the void left by Higgins next year.  As a prospect, his route running is raw, but the kid is a true three level threat and pairing a WR like that with another three level threat in Chase makes a supremely unpredictable offense in terms of route combinations.

I'm predicting Murphy will win the poll, though, simply because this board hates spending premium picks on WR's and Mims and Latham will divide the votes amongst those wanting an OT.

Just looking at the draft it might be Terrion Arnold sitting as BPA #18. That would be a crazy ugly world.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm one of the few who liked Newton over Murphy, if we were to go DT. If we're going to be chasing Lamar and Mahomes, etc in playoff type games, gimme Newton imo.

Overall..I chose Latham over Mims. Typical protect Joe type pick.

Thomas could be a top ten grade/rank in other years on the big board. If the Bengals traded Tee I'd consider it more.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 01:07 PM)Synric Wrote: Just looking at the draft it might be Terrion Arnold sitting as BPA #18. That would be a crazy ugly world.

Tell me about it.

Crazy to me that we have Joe Burrow and we haven't spent a Day 1 or 2 pick on offense since Jackson Carman, and folks still want defense in the first, lol.
Reply/Quote
For the final pick I went with Amarius Mims. I keep teetering between him and Murphy, but in the end I think we can get a run
stopping NT later and we might never be looking at a talent like Mims this late in the first again. Mims balance cannot be taught,
nor can his size and athleticism, he would instantly start at LG over Volson and be our emergency RT if Trent Brown went down
like he seems to every year.

Some might think Mims is raw, but watching the film I don't see it at all. If we are going OT I think Mims is more of a sure thing
in the end than Latham who I think will get beat by Garrett and Twatt more than Mims would because of Latham's heavy feet.

Trent Brown would also help out Mims with his experience and him being a swing Tackle and one of the top ones in the NFL at
that. I want a player at 18 that will instantly start, Latham wouldn't as he cannot play all over the line like Mims can.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 01:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For the final pick I went with Amarius Mims. I keep teetering between him and Murphy, but in the end I think we can get a run
stopping NT later and we might never be looking at a talent like Mims this late in the first again. Mims balance cannot be taught,
nor can his size and athleticism, he would instantly start at LG over Volson and be our emergency RT if Trent Brown went down
like he seems to every year.

Some might think Mims is raw, but watching the film I don't see it at all. If we are going OT I think Mims is more of a sure thing
in the end than Latham who I think will get beat by Garrett and Twatt more than Mims would because of Latham's heavy feet.

Trent Brown would also help out Mims with his experience and him being a swing Tackle and one of the top ones in the NFL at
that. I want a player at 18 that will instantly start, Latham wouldn't as he cannot play all over the line like Mims can.

I'm repping this every time I see it
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 01:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: Tell me about it.

Crazy to me that we have Joe Burrow and we haven't spent a Day 1 or 2 pick on offense since Jackson Carman, and folks still want defense in the first, lol.

I  just don't have a lot of trust of the present-day Bengals with developing OT picks. 1st round Billy Price, 1st round Cedric Ogbuehi, 2nd Round Jake Fisher, 2nd round Jackson Carman. Jonah Williams, 11th overall pick, was just ok (Did he ever make a pro bowl?) 

I like the Bengals' new model of using free-agency to sign already proven OT starters. Right now, the only OT draft pick starting is Volson, despite those names selected above in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

I would love if Mims were selected and reached his potential with the Bengals. I trust he would with another team, but I'm a little gun shy right now on this happening with the Bengals. 

Thus, I selected Murphy, a proven run-stopper, which the Bengals desperately need this year, and hope the Bengals address their obvious OL needs through free agency.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2024, 08:18 PM)Nepa Wrote: I  just don't have a lot of trust of the present-day Bengals with developing OT picks. 1st round Billy Price, 1st round Cedric Ogbuehi, 2nd Round Jake Fisher, 2nd round Jackson Carman. Jonah Williams, 11th overall pick, was just ok (Did he ever make a pro bowl?) 

I like the Bengals' new model of using free-agency to sign already proven OT starters. Right now, the only OT draft pick starting is Volson, despite those names selected above in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

I would love if Mims were selected and reached his potential with the Bengals. I trust he would with another team, but I'm a little gun shy right now on this happening with the Bengals. 

Thus, I selected Murphy, a proven run-stopper, which the Bengals desperately need this year, and hope the Bengals address their obvious OL needs through free agency.

Well, Og and Fisher can't really be put on the current staff.  Price has serious issues coming out of college, including question marks about him not being coachable, and was a stupid desperation pick after they went into the draft without a starting C and Ragnow got picked.  Jonah was well polished coming out of college, but athletically limited and injuries also hampered his development and effectiveness.  Plus, that was a bad T draft.  Risner had to move to G, Ford and Dillard are career backups, and Taylor is trash.  Carman, sure.  

Beyond that, there's other holes on offense besides OT.  Burrow is an elite QB.  You're never going to regret putting talent around an elite QB.  If you're not going to draft OL, then you need to draft him weapons.  

Murphy has one year of starting experience and is pretty much maxed out and sub 300 pounds.  I find it strange how people started pitching him more as a NT right about the time Sweat got his DUI and started falling down the boards.  His NFL comp is Ed Oliver.  NT against college offenses and college talent is miles different than the pros.  
Reply/Quote
I didn't vote for who I want, but rather voted for who I predict the organization favors. I went with Thomas. They'll draft him with the intent to keep a core WR trio (Chase/Higgins/Thomas) with understanding it will likely just be Chase/Thomas in subsequent seasons.

I wouldn't be shocked if Thomas is drafted to replace Tyler Boyd (not where he lines up, but as a talented WR) and in the '25 draft they go WR a gain to replace Higgins. They'll aim to always have Burrow throwing to 3 stud WRs.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 12:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: Personally, I really want a T at 18.  Sadly, Mims and Latham are two pretty high risk prospects, in my opinion.

Between those four, I had to go with Thomas.  He's an immediate starter this year at a premium position, plus will really help fill the void left by Higgins next year.  As a prospect, his route running is raw, but the kid is a true three level threat and pairing a WR like that with another three level threat in Chase makes a supremely unpredictable offense in terms of route combinations.

Murphy will be gone
Rams will use some their vast draft capital to move up and replace Aaron Donald.
Reply/Quote
For those voting for something other than OT, I don't want to hear anyone complaining down the road the team didn't invest more into the OL to protect Joe Burrow if Brown goes down and/or the OL underperforms this season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2024, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: For those voting for something other than OT, I don't want to hear anyone complaining down the road the team didn't invest more into the OL to protect Joe Burrow if Brown goes down and/or the OL underperforms this season.

As what we do here has absolutely no influence on what the Bengals do, all I can say is......Thanks for the laugh.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2024, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: For those voting for something other than OT, I don't want to hear anyone complaining down the road the team didn't invest more into the OL to protect Joe Burrow if Brown goes down and/or the OL underperforms this season.

I really would like a T in the 1st.  Problem is, I don't trust Mims due to his inability to stay on the field and I don't trust Latham due to his refusal to do basically anything during the draft process and the lengthy list of highly touted 'bama OL that have been total busts.  If Tyler Guyton was am option, I would happily take him, but he's not.  So, out of the four options, I went with the safest guy who also has elite upside in Thomas.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 01:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: Tell me about it.

It has been two drafts in a row the Bengals have used the 1st and 2nd round picks on defense. The 3 previous drafts before that, the 1st and 2nd picks were used on offense.  They didnt use the 1st and 2nd round draft picks on offense the previous two drafts because they signed guys like Karras, Cappa and Orlando Brown Jr. in free agency while on defense they let Ogunjobi, Bell, Bates and Apple leave.  That meant they had to spend some early picks on defense to help balance the talent loss.  Would you rather had the Bengals take the opposite approach and spent the money to keep Ogunjobi, Bell, Bates and Apple while using the 1st and 2nd round draft picks on the offensive line? because that is the other approach that could have been taken.
Reply/Quote