Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dane Brugler 7 Round Mock Draft
https://theathletic.com/5418352/2024/04/17/nfl-mock-draft-2024-full-seven-rounds-dane-brugler/

For the Bengals:
1 (18). Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas
2 (49). Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State
3 (80). Theo Johnson, TE, Penn State
3 (97). D.J. James, CB, Auburn
4 (115). T’Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
5 (149). Anthony Gould, WR, Oregon State
6 (194). Erick All, TE, Iowa
6 (214). Giovanni Manu, OT, British Columbia (Can.)
7 (224). Sam Hartman, QB, Wake Forest
7 (237). Ryan Rehkow, P, BYU

I wouldn't hate this draft, but there were a few selections that I definitely would have made over the ones he did.

For example, Theo Johnson in the 3rd feels rich. Blake Fisher was available at that pick, and I have a hard time justifying not taking Fisher in that position. Yes, he already selected a guard, but we need a back up RT badly and Fisher fulfills that role perfectly.

DJ James is also not an ideal pick for me. He's undersized and more a fit for Nickel cornerback than outside cornerback, even by Dane's own admission. The problem is Dax Hill has been removed from safety and seems to be the NCB after this year when Hilton is a free agent and NCB is the position that Hill played the most in college and where he has shown his best play in the NFL. Drafting James in the 3rd could mean he wouldn't see any snaps until 2026 or, at worst, mid 2025 if Hill fails at NCB. That isn't an ideal use of a 3rd rounder, imo.

Brendan Rice is there at 97 and I think he would make a really good 3rd receiver who could potentially take over WR2 if Higgins leaves after this season. He's got all the things the Bengals look for. Early breakout age, 4.50 40, size (6'2" 208 lb), production (21 TD in 35 starts) and he has NFL lineage (Jerry Rice's son).

Or, if you wanted to stick with CB, Renardo Green and Nehemiah Pritchett, both of whom project as outside cornerbacks, were both available.

I like the idea of pairing Sweat and Murphy in the NFL and the 4th round feels like the point at which it's worth the risk drafting Sweat, but I wonder if the Bengals are willing to do that. They got burned by a big man with weight issues just 3 years ago in Tyler Shelvin. Would they take another problem player who also has behavioral issues in the same round? I have my doubts.

Anthony Gould is an interesting choice in the 5th. He is small (5'8" 174 lb), but very fast (4.39 40). I could see him being an Andrew Hawkins level threat in the slot. He also has punt return experience, which will be valuable with the new KO rules. He played most of his time outside in college, but I don't think his size will allow for that in the NFL though, so we'd still need to replace Tee if and when he moves on.

I like All as buying low on a talented player due to injury concerns. I wouldn't mind drafting another punter either. Manu seems like a low risk, high reward pick that late in the draft. Maybe they can stash him on the PS and let him learn how to play offensive line for a few years (He played primarily basketball, but has rare size/athleticism). I don't understand the QB pick, but it doesn't really matter that late in the draft.

What do you all think of Dane's mock draft?
Reply/Quote
I agree that it's not a terrible draft, just could have been better. For example, if he wasn't going Tackle early, he could have likely had Goncalves in the 4th or even 5th round.

Also, I see he has the Bengals double dipping on TE. This is not the first published mock having the Bengals selecting multiple TEs. Do they know something that we don't?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 10:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree that it's not a terrible draft, just could have been better. For example, if he wasn't going Tackle early, he could have likely had Goncalves in the 4th or even 5th round.

Also, I see he has the Bengals double dipping on TE. This is not the first published mock having the Bengals selecting multiple TEs. Do they know something that we don't?

Yep! He had Goncalves going 165 in the 5th round, so he would have been available at our 5th round pick. 

I wouldn't be shocked if they double dip at TE, but it feels like one would need to be a PS player, as I doubt we carry 5 TEs on the roster and I would prefer not to cut any of the 3 we have right now.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 10:53 AM)CJD Wrote: https://theathletic.com/5418352/2024/04/17/nfl-mock-draft-2024-full-seven-rounds-dane-brugler/

For the Bengals:

I wouldn't hate this draft, but there were a few selections that I definitely would have made over the ones he did.

For example, Theo Johnson in the 3rd feels rich. Blake Fisher was available at that pick, and I have a hard time justifying not taking Fisher in that position. Yes, he already selected a guard, but we need a back up RT badly and Fisher fulfills that role perfectly.

DJ James is also not an ideal pick for me. He's undersized and more a fit for Nickel cornerback than outside cornerback, even by Dane's own admission. The problem is Dax Hill has been removed from safety and seems to be the NCB after this year when Hilton is a free agent and NCB is the position that Hill played the most in college and where he has shown his best play in the NFL. Drafting James in the 3rd could mean he wouldn't see any snaps until 2026 or, at worst, mid 2025 if Hill fails at NCB. That isn't an ideal use of a 3rd rounder, imo.

Brendan Rice is there at 97 and I think he would make a really good 3rd receiver who could potentially take over WR2 if Higgins leaves after this season. He's got all the things the Bengals look for. Early breakout age, 4.50 40, size (6'2" 208 lb), production (21 TD in 35 starts) and he has NFL lineage (Jerry Rice's son).

Or, if you wanted to stick with CB, Renardo Green and Nehemiah Pritchett, both of whom project as outside cornerbacks, were both available.

I like the idea of pairing Sweat and Murphy in the NFL and the 4th round feels like the point at which it's worth the risk drafting Sweat, but I wonder if the Bengals are willing to do that. They got burned by a big man with weight issues just 3 years ago in Tyler Shelvin. Would they take another problem player who also has behavioral issues in the same round? I have my doubts.

Anthony Gould is an interesting choice in the 5th. He is small (5'8" 174 lb), but very fast (4.39 40). I could see him being an Andrew Hawkins level threat in the slot. He also has punt return experience, which will be valuable with the new KO rules. He played most of his time outside in college, but I don't think his size will allow for that in the NFL though, so we'd still need to replace Tee if and when he moves on.

I like All as buying low on a talented player due to injury concerns. I wouldn't mind drafting another punter either. Manu seems like a low risk, high reward pick that late in the draft. Maybe they can stash him on the PS and let him learn how to play offensive line for a few years (He played primarily basketball, but has rare size/athleticism). I don't understand the QB pick, but it doesn't really matter that late in the draft.

Love the first two picks. But I feel like they go wr at 49 to replace T.

I agree with a lot of your analysis, nice write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Dane has Buffalo trading up to 17 with the Jaguars for Brian Thomas Jr. which lets the 6th OT Amarius Mims to slide a little but you can see how a team looking a Cincy and Mims say like the Steelers at #20 might move up using pick #98.

Nightmare happens second round too... The majority of the top WR Class is off the board by #49 with only Roman Wilson and Xavier Legette later than that in the 2nd round.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 11:33 AM)Synric Wrote: Dane has Buffalo trading up to 17 with the Jaguars for Brian Thomas Jr. which lets the 6th OT Amarius Mims to slide a little but you can see how a team looking a Cincy and Mims say like the Steelers at #20 might move up using pick #98.

Nightmare happens second round too... The majority of the top WR Class is off the board by #49 with only Roman Wilson and Xavier Legette later than that in the 2nd round.

Yea, AD Mitchell at 32, Ladd at 33, Keon at 37, Worthy at 45, Pearsall at 46 and Franklin at 48 is BRUTAL for us. If there's a chance of this happening, I'd hope the Bengals would move up 3 or 4 spots (maybe costing a 6th?) to ensure they get one of these guys. Because I agree, I don't want Wilson, Corley or Legette in the 2nd. Then, Polk and Walker are off the board before our 3rd rounder, so the choices definitely start to thin if we miss in the 2nd round.

I like Rice for a lot of reasons and I'd happily take him in the 3rd, but he requires a bit more projection than those 2nd round WRs, who are the ones I really want haha.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 10:53 AM)CJD Wrote: https://theathletic.com/5418352/2024/04/17/nfl-mock-draft-2024-full-seven-rounds-dane-brugler/

For the Bengals:

I like All as buying low on a talented player due to injury concerns. I wouldn't mind drafting another punter either. Manu seems like a low risk, high reward pick that late in the draft. Maybe they can stash him on the PS and let him learn  how to play offensive line for a few years (He played primarily basketball, but has rare size/athleticism). I don't understand the QB pick, but it doesn't really matter that late in the draft.

That's a B-/C draft for me. More of a C.

There is no playable RT or boundary corner. We waited until #149 to take WR3. Two TEs? 

Three of the top 4 picks are IOL, TE, and nickel corner. 

The deepest positions this draft are OT, WR, & CB. All positions of need. All preimium positions. And aside from a nickel corner (the one spot we don't need with Hilton, Hill, and Davis on the roster), it does not address any of them early.

For me, winning this draft is all about stacking the deepest spots (OT, WR, CB) with our positions of need (RT, WR3, CB4, NT). 

Due to the depth, maybe you can land CB4/WR3 at #112. Landing Sweat at #112 is a great pick. But waiting until #112 to hit our primary needs and #149 to hit any of the deepest spots in the draft is poor. 

I don't hate Murphy ar #18, but if you do that, you likely cannot take OT until Rd3 (Fischer, etc). Whiffing on the upper tier of OTs by choice for an undersized DT is something I would not do.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 12:00 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: That's a B-/C draft for me. More of a C.

There is no playable RT or boundary corner. We waited until #149 to take WR3. Two TEs? 

Three of the top 4 picks are IOL, TE, and nickel corner. 

The deepest positions this draft are OT, WR, & CB. All positions of need. All preimium positions. And aside from a nickel corner (the one spot we don't need with Hilton, Hill, and Davis on the roster), it does not address any of them early.

For me, winning this draft is all about stacking the deepest spots (OT, WR, CB) with our positions of need (RT, WR3, CB4, NT). 

Due to the depth, maybe you can land CB4/WR3 at #112. Landing Sweat at #112 is a great pick. But waiting until #112 to hit our primary needs and #149 to hit any of the deepest spots in the draft is poor. 

I don't hate Murphy ar #18, but if you do that, you likely cannot take OT until Rd3 (Fischer, etc). Whiffing on the upper tier of OTs by choice for an undersized DT is something I would not do.

I agree with your assessments with the exception of the diminishment (heh) of undersized DTs. Geno Atkins and Aaron Donald both got the undersized DT label, and ended up being the best DTs of their generation. Leverage is a big deal in the trenches and shorter guys have tons of it. Javon Hargrave, Calijah Kancey, Grady Jarrett and Ed Oliver are other examples of shorter/smaller DTs who can make a massive impact in the NFL.

If the Bengals were confident that Murphy could have a Geno Atkins-esque impact on the pass rush this year (remember the "Fisher Price package?"), I think that's worth the #18 pick easy.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals will come away with either Roman Wilson or Ricky Pearsall in the 2nd even if they have to move up a few spots.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2024, 11:58 AM)CJD Wrote: Yea, AD Mitchell at 32, Ladd at 33, Keon at 37, Worthy at 45, Pearsall at 46 and Franklin at 48 is BRUTAL for us. If there's a chance of this happening, I'd hope the Bengals would move up 3 or 4 spots (maybe costing a 6th?) to ensure they get one of these guys. Because I agree, I don't want Wilson, Corley or Legette in the 2nd. Then, Polk and Walker are off the board before our 3rd rounder, so the choices definitely start to thin if we miss in the 2nd round.

I like Rice for a lot of reasons and I'd happily take him in the 3rd, but he requires a bit more projection than those 2nd round WRs, who are the ones I really want haha.

I would have liked to see Rice with a different QB than Caleb Williams just so I could see Rice catch balls within the system lol. A day 3 boundary receiver I like is Michigan's Cornelius Johnson competition for Trenton Irwin as a rotational blocking receiver with some upside.

Also I wanted to say I agree that 80 is a little rich for Theo Johnson but I have been a fan of his and love his fit in Cincy as a heavy 11 personnel TE. He reminds me of a more NFL ready CJ Uzomah.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I like the first 3 picks, but no way we should wait till the 6th round to draft a RT.
Reply/Quote

For the Bengals:

I like All as buying low on a talented player due to injury concerns. I wouldn't mind drafting another punter either. Manu seems like a low risk, high reward pick that late in the draft. Maybe they can stash him on the PS and let him learn  how to play offensive line for a few years (He played primarily basketball, but has rare size/athleticism). I don't understand the QB pick, but it doesn't really matter that late in the draft.

I've always loved Brugler's (and Rank's) takes since being with CBS Sports.

I think this is a fine mock, as much as I'd want an OT early.
Bengals retool their DT and TE room with good prospects.
I get Sweat potentially dropping down to 4th round after what happened.
As much as I like Beebe as a player, I don't know if I'd prioritize an OG over a C or OT with Karras and Trent Brown in contract years.
But if Beebe could replace Volson this season or switch positions to get into the lineup sooner than 2026, I'd be cool with it. Otherwise, seems too early to take a guy who could feasibly ride the bench for 2 seasons.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Mostly like it, as he has three of the players from my mock in his,

Murphy
Beebe
Matu
Reply/Quote