Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two trade scenarios to consider for the draft
The gifted comp 3rd opens a lot of trade options, one could be proactive and the other as a fallback.

1. On paper, there is a higher probability that one of the many quality OT prospects will be BPA and justify the pick. There is also an overall depth at OT and not as thick of depth (per round) at another priority position of DT. They're really in need of a true NT and OT long term and if they play this right talent and need may align (I hate reaching for need).

So, you could trade back up into the 1st to secure the 2nd need, but also to lock in a 5th year option which is critical years from now when we are strapped for cash. They can deal a 3rd to move from the 2nd back intonthe 1st. If you take Murphy at DT, maybe you leap the Ravens and still end up with a solid OT. The OT can be a project as you should at least get half a year from Brown. The other scenario is taking the OT in the 1st and getting a quality DT with the trade up pick, or a great CB or WR for example that slides.

2. That leads to the 2nd trade scenario. With the limited talent at DT, specifically true NT I hope they consider trading a mid round pick for a true NT. Not many teams have true depth, but Seattle could be a trade spot. I'd rather have the luxury of taking BPA than the temptation of taking a guy like Jackson a round early.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2024, 12:28 PM)phil413 Wrote: The gifted comp 3rd opens a lot of trade options, one could be proactive and the other as a fallback.

1. On paper, there is a higher probability that one of the many quality OT prospects will be BPA and justify the pick.  There is also an overall depth at OT and not as thick of depth (per round) at another priority position of DT.  They're really in need of a true NT and OT long term and if they play this right talent and need may align (I hate reaching for need).  

So, you could trade back up into the 1st to secure the 2nd need, but also to lock in a 5th year option which is critical years from now when we are strapped for cash.  They can deal a 3rd to move from the 2nd back intonthe 1st.  If you take Murphy at DT, maybe you leap the Ravens and still end up with a solid OT.  The OT can be a project as you should at least get half a year from Brown.  The other scenario is taking the OT in the 1st and getting a quality DT with the trade up pick, or a great CB or WR for example that slides.  

2.  That leads to the 2nd trade scenario.  With the limited talent at DT, specifically true NT I hope they consider trading a mid round pick for a true NT.  Not many teams have true depth, but Seattle could be a trade spot. I'd rather have the luxury of taking BPA than the temptation of taking a guy like Jackson a round early.

Nice thread Phil, that is what is nice about getting that extra 3rd round pick. We could use it and more to move up into the late first after 
we get our initial pick at 18 where we should get a quality player that will instantly help the team. I am for this much more than the thoughts
of trading up from 18. I think we can stay at 18 and be fine. The math adds up to their being a player that we need here.

Trading up afterwards into the late first like you say, gets us the 5th year option on the other player we take.

NT should be available in the mid rounds. Our need is not every other team's need.
Reply/Quote