Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nate's 2nd Mock of 2024...
Here is my 2nd one and this one I used ProFootballNetwork and it seemed more realistic than MDD...

1st round - JC Latham OT Alabama: Mims and Fautanu were gone in this instance so I took the next best thing, very good pass protector
and once he gets his hands on you in the running game you are done. Trench King helps out the right side of the Bengals OL for the next
half a decade if not longer.

2nd round - Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky: Speedster with strength at WR, a playmaker and looked like the best player on the field
against OSU last year when I watched him for the first time. Corley is great in yards after catch, has good hands, runs good routes and is
really hard to tackle as he played RB before. Offers Returner ability as well.

3rd round - Ben Sinnott TE Kansas State: Best overall TE in the Draft IMO, Sinnott can play TE, H-Back, Fullback and WR. Sinnott has a
diverse route tree, is hard to tackle, has great hands and is a very good blocker.

3rd round - Tanor Bortolini G/C Wisconsin: Our future Center after Ted, but instantly steps in at LG as a rookie and makes Volson good
depth. Can also play at RG in case Cappa goes down.

4th round - Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin: Big, mean, athletic, battering ram RB that takes our physicality to another level in the AFC North.

5th round - T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas: This is where I think Sweat will be available after the DWI and could give him a shot here. Instantly
helps us stop the run if he can stay clean.

6th round - Gabe Hall DT Baylor: Major steal here as another run stopper and insurance in case Sweat goes goofy.

6th round - George Holani RB/Returner Boise State: Another returner who can take it to the house, good receiver too.

7th round - Tory Taylor P Iowa: We need a Punter, about as good of one as there is in this Draft.

7th round - Xavier Thomas EDGE Clemson
Reply/Quote
Good job, Nate. Really like doubling up on later round DT's. Sweat makes me sweat.

Kinda surprised you didn't take CB. I believe that will be addressed by the end of day 2.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 01:12 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Good job, Nate.  Really like doubling up on later round DT's.  Sweat makes me sweat.

Kinda surprised you didn't take CB.  I believe that will be addressed by the end of day 2.

Wink

Thanks Speedy, I think we add a Corner like Stephon Gilmore after the Draft if the Corners don't fall like we want them to.

Same with a Guard like Dalton Risner, Connor Williams or Andrus Peat. But I really like Tanor Bortolini who I think could instantly start.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 01:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wink

Thanks Speedy, I think we add a Corner like Stephon Gilmore after the Draft if the Corners don't fall like we want them to.

Same with a Guard like Dalton Risner, Connor Williams or Andrus Peat. But I really like Tanor Bortolini who I think could instantly start.

An experience corner would fit very nicely with our youngsters.  Terence Newman, where are you?

PS, Thanks for the punter.
Reply/Quote
Great draft. I find starting with OT opens up the rest of our draft, whereas any other position puts us on our back foot. I really like Latham too. He seems like someone who's been discussed for so long that we think we see holes in his game, but the reality may just be that we've gotten bored. Kinda reminds me of Andre Smith in that regard, tbh- he's been mocked to us all year that we're non-plussed with the pick when we get there. But I'll tell you this, if we get another Dre or Levi Jones I'll be happy. We don't need a Trent Williams. We just need guy to plug in there and not have to worry about for the foreseeable future (notwithstanding injury, of course).

Allen's another one of my fave picks. Gabe Hall's a coup in the sixth. I'm curious to see what Sinnott will offer at the next level. He doesn't clearly fit our system imo but we do need another body in the TE room. He might be a versatile piece that could evolve with the team. Well done.

Cheers
Reply/Quote
Nice !

I think Gabe Hall and George Holani provide great value in the 6th.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 02:14 PM)tms Wrote: Great draft. I find starting with OT opens up the rest of our draft, whereas any other position puts us on our back foot. I really like Latham too. He seems like someone who's been discussed for so long that we think we see holes in his game, but the reality may just be that we've gotten bored. Kinda reminds me of Andre Smith in that regard, tbh- he's been mocked to us all year that we're non-plussed with the pick when we get there. But I'll tell you this, if we get another Dre or Levi Jones I'll be happy. We don't need a Trent Williams. We just need guy to plug in there and not have to worry about for the foreseeable future (notwithstanding injury, of course).

Allen's another one of my fave picks. Gabe Hall's a coup in the sixth. I'm curious to see what Sinnott will offer at the next level. He doesn't clearly fit our system imo but we do need another body in the TE room. He might be a versatile piece that could evolve with the team. Well done.  

Cheers

Thanks TMS. Yeah, sometimes we get a little too critical of a player if we have been talking about them long enough. I think JC Latham 
will be more than adequate for our RT spot for the future. Braelon Allen is just what our RB room is missing, we need that dude in the 
room that just makes Defenses not like playing against us. Was really surprised Gabe Hall fell as far as he did but this happens with NT's
every year in the Draft.

Ben Sinnott is special, you are right, he doesn't fit as he is way talented in every way lol

Our TE's are Gesicki who is a talented pass catcher, but not a blocker, Sample who is a great blocker but not a pass catcher and Hudson 
who is a pass catcher but not a blocker. Would be nice to finally have a TE/H-Back that can do everything well.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 01:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Here is my 2nd one and this one I used ProFootballNetwork and it seemed more realistic than MDD...

1st round - JC Latham OT Alabama: Mims and Fautanu were gone in this instance so I took the next best thing, very good pass protector
and once he gets his hands on you in the running game you are done. Trench King helps out the right side of the Bengals OL for the next

2nd round - Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky: Speedster with strength at WR, a playmaker and looked like the best player on the field
against OSU last year when I watched him for the first time. Corley is great in yards after catch, has good hands, runs good routes and is

3rd round - Ben Sinnott TE Kansas State: Best overall TE in the Draft IMO, Sinnott can play TE, H-Back, Fullback and WR. Sinnott has a
diverse route tree, is hard to tackle, has great hands and is a very good blocker.

3rd round - Tanor Bortolini G/C Wisconsin: Our future Center after Ted, but instantly steps in at LG as a rookie and makes Volson good

4th round - Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin: Big, mean, athletic, battering ram RB that takes our physicality to another level in the AFC North.

5th round - T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas: This is where I think Sweat will be available after the DWI and could give him a shot here. Instantly

6th round - Gabe Hall DT Baylor: Major steal here as another run stopper and insurance in case Sweat goes goofy.

6th round - George Holani RB/Returner Boise State: Another returner who can take it to the house, good receiver too.

7th round - Tory Taylor P Iowa: We need a Punter, about as good of one as there is in this Draft.

This draft is amazing. 

I think a lot of Bengals fans have written off Latham as slow, but I think he has what it takes to be a day 1 starting RT if needed and he has the added possibility of playing LG if need be in his rookie year. Sinnott in the 3rd is a huge steal and I would be unable to resist Sweat or Hall in the 5th and 6th round, respectively. Bortolini is one of my favorite prospects on the inside in that late day 2, early day 3 range and Allen, while not my preferred big man RB, would complement our current running back room well.

I just have one itsy bitsy teeny objection...

I really don't like Corley in the 2nd.

It's not that I don't think he's a good player. But he requires a fair amount of projection to get to a productive player in the NFL, and I wouldn't be willing to spend a top 50 pick on him.

60% of his routes were hitches, slants, crossing, flats or screens and his route running, in general, leaves a lot to be desired. He had an average depth of target of just 6.1 yards past the LOS. His Yards after catch average was a ridiculous (and likely unsustainable) 8.5. His contested catch rate was just 22.2% and his tracking is not great on deep balls. 

He has decent bulk at 207 lbs and 5'11", but his speed, while acceptable, was nothing special at 4.56. He had an RAS of 7.76.

He is elite at breaking tackles and he seems to have great acceleration (although his 40 yard splits are also just good, not elite), but I wonder if he is more of a gadget player who excelled at abusing Conference USA players with no future in the NFL at Western Kentucky to get that extra 8.5 yards after the reception.

I think his ideal role in the NFL is as a slot receiver and gadget player who you manufacture catches for and I don't think he is likely to replace Higgins' production or role, which is what I'm looking for in a 2nd round WR prospect.

My favorite round 2 WR options are Keon Coleman, Troy Franklin, Ricky Pearsall and then any player that may fall like Adonai Mitchell or Ladd McConkey.

But that's just my preference. Dane Brugler has Corley as the 54th overall prospect, so you're right on the money according to his evaluation.
Reply/Quote
I do really like this mock better than your first one!!
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 03:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Braelon Allen is just what our RB room is missing, we need that dude in the 
room that just makes Defenses not like playing against us. Was really surprised Gabe Hall fell as far as he did but this happens with NT's
every year in the Draft.

I love Allen, but Steele is a solid thumper as a consolation prize if we do not get him.

Hall has played DE, as well. He's not a huge pass rusher, but he does have to be accounted for. I like his versatility.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 01:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Here is my 2nd one and this one I used ProFootballNetwork and it seemed more realistic than MDD...

You hit a lot of good areas with the draft, even if the first is not one of my favorites, it is hard to hate on Latham, especially given Alabama's pedigree with o-linemen. 

Big fan of Sinnott,  Bortolini, and Sweat, as I've had them at similar points as well. Sweat would be the major joker, as if he panned out, this mock would be incredible!

I am curious, you took two potential returners. Are you moving on from Chuck Sizzle?  Thinking he's (for a year one guy) older and not as much juice left to squeeze out?

Love the Allen pick, as the Bengals need a banger, not a dancer, in the backfield. He doesn't need to hit the homerun, just needs to not fall down at first contact and to fall forward and wear down defenses.  Allen fits the bill. It has been forever since the Bengals had a punishing back, like Icky Woods or Larry Kinnebrew (yes I had a man crush). Be nice to see those days return to compliment Joe's game.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 03:40 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Nice !

I think Gabe Hall and George Holani provide great value in the 6th.

Think so as well Rotobeast. Gabe Hall I was surprised was around as late as he was, but it happens.

Holani would be my main Returner in this instance. With Chuck Sizzle being used more as the Punt Returner, Holani as the KR.

(04-21-2024, 05:02 PM)CJD Wrote: This draft is amazing. 

I think a lot of Bengals fans have written off Latham as slow, but I think he has what it takes to be a day 1 starting RT if needed and he has the added possibility of playing LG if need be in his rookie year. Sinnott in the 3rd is a huge steal and I would be unable to resist Sweat or Hall in the 5th and 6th round, respectively. Bortolini is one of my favorite prospects on the inside in that late day 2, early day 3 range and Allen, while not my preferred big man RB, would complement our current running back room well.

I just have one itsy bitsy teeny objection...

I really don't like Corley in the 2nd.

It's not that I don't think he's a good player. But he requires a fair amount of projection to get to a productive player in the NFL, and I wouldn't be willing to spend a top 50 pick on him.

60% of his routes were hitches, slants, crossing, flats or screens and his route running, in general, leaves a lot to be desired. He had an average depth of target of just 6.1 yards past the LOS. His Yards after catch average was a ridiculous (and likely unsustainable) 8.5. His contested catch rate was just 22.2% and his tracking is not great on deep balls. 

He has decent bulk at 207 lbs and 5'11", but his speed, while acceptable, was nothing special at 4.56. He had an RAS of 7.76.

He is elite at breaking tackles and he seems to have great acceleration (although his 40 yard splits are also just good, not elite), but I wonder if he is more of a gadget player who excelled at abusing Conference USA players with no future in the NFL at Western Kentucky to get that extra 8.5 yards after the reception.

I think his ideal role in the NFL is as a slot receiver and gadget player who you manufacture catches for and I don't think he is likely to replace Higgins' production or role, which is what I'm looking for in a 2nd round WR prospect.

My favorite round 2 WR options are Keon Coleman, Troy Franklin, Ricky Pearsall and then any player that may fall like Adonai Mitchell or Ladd McConkey.

But that's just my preference. Dane Brugler has Corley as the 54th overall prospect, so you're right on the money according to his evaluation.

Thanks CJD and understand the concern with Corley, but I stand by it and think he will be one of the best WR's in this class when it is 
all said and done. Ricky Pearsall I like more because of his more extensive route tree and better hands but he was taken. All of Adonai 
Mitchell, Keon Coleman, Troy Franklin have their questions, Ladd should go early in the 2nd round if not in the late 1st IMO.

(04-21-2024, 06:55 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I do really like this mock better than your first one!!

Yeah, Bowers wasn't available, had to go with the more likely OT in the Trench King. This just seems much more realistic.

I like ProFootballNetwork's simulator the best because of this right now.

(04-21-2024, 07:00 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I love Allen, but Steele is a solid thumper as a consolation prize if we do not get him.

Hall has played DE, as well. He's not a huge pass rusher, but he does have to be accounted for. I like his versatility.

Definitely like Steele later if we don't get a thumper early. 
Reply/Quote

I'd take that all day long. 

Only nit is no CB. But a smart DA signing could fix that.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 08:32 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: You hit a lot of good areas with the draft, even if the first is not one of my favorites, it is hard to hate on Latham, especially given Alabama's pedigree with o-linemen. 

Big fan of Sinnott,  Bortolini, and Sweat, as I've had them at similar points as well. Sweat would be the major joker, as if he panned out, this mock would be incredible!

I am curious, you took two potential returners. Are you moving on from Chuck Sizzle?  Thinking he's (for a year one guy) older and not as much juice left to squeeze out?

Love the Allen pick, as the Bengals need a banger, not a dancer, in the backfield. He doesn't need to hit the homerun, just needs to not fall down at first contact and to fall forward and wear down defenses.  Allen fits the bill. It has been forever since the Bengals had a punishing back, like Icky Woods or Larry Kinnebrew (yes I had a man crush). Be nice to see those days return to compliment Joe's game.

Thanks Rugby. On Chuck Sizzle, he will still have his uses, but you can never have enough dude's that are great in open space. The new rules
make having good Returners a big deal. With Chase, Holani, Chuck and Corley we would have a lot of dangerous weapons not even mentioning
Chase Brown who is incredibly fast.

True on Braelon Allen, been awhile since we had a punishing RB, since Cedric Benson that I can remember. Mixon would punish defenders on 
the edge as he was going out of bounds but I wouldn't call him a punishing back. Samaje had one mean stiff arm, but he only had one year of 
being that punishing Back for us, with Braelon we could have him for awhile. I want to do the same thing to our Division rivals what they try and
do to us every year. Make them dread having to play the physicality of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Reply/Quote

A+ draft, Ive cooled a bit on Allen, but I can see the value of his style of play.  Sweat is worth a late 3rd or later pick, I think you risk it for the upside and hope your culture can fix him.  Force him to blow start his car and get him some counseling lol

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like this draft it’s necessary and with good players who are big for a big man’s game. This a good draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 10:07 AM)Okeana Wrote: A+ draft, Ive cooled a bit on Allen, but I can see the value of his style of play.  Sweat is worth a late 3rd or later pick, I think you risk it for the upside and hope your culture can fix him.  Force him to blow start his car and get him some counseling lol

Thanks Okeana. We have the smaller RB's, I do like Kimani Vidal in this Draft, but if we are going to add a RB I would prefer a thumper
and Braelon is the thumper of all thumpers. I guess I would be down with Sweat in the late 3rd, just no earlier with his risk. Even if we 
draft him, probably have to watch the guy like you say, blow start his car ha ha
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2024, 01:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Here is my 2nd one and this one I used ProFootballNetwork and it seemed more realistic than MDD...

Nice job Nate! I’d love to have a physical WR like Corley in the slot. Love Holani, he’s flown under the radar but he could be a steal. I’m all in on Tory Taylor too. For me, Latham is my least favorite pick, totally understand the need for a RT with Trent’s injury history, but to me Latham has a lot of red flags.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 02:01 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Nice job Nate! I’d love to have a physical WR like Corley in the slot. Love Holani, he’s flown under the radar but he could be a steal. I’m all in on Tory Taylor too. For me, Latham is my least favorite pick, totally understand the need for a RT with Trent’s injury history, but to me Latham has a lot of red flags.

Thanks brother. Agree and can understand not in love with the Latham pick. I think he will be solid in the NFL but he doesn't excite me 
like Mims would. Going to do my final Mock here in a bit and we will see if Mims is the pick at 18... Ninja

Definitely agree also that Holani has flown under the radar, dude is a gamechanger like the other guy I really like mid to late in Ainias Smith.
Reply/Quote

Very nice!!!!!!!!! Homerun really
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote