Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow doesn't get much help
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/joe-burrow-hasn-t-had-much-help-with-bengals/ar-BB1m1APN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=ASTS&cvid=c960a1f76eeb4403895bdb191f33d504&ei=15

Very interesting
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 02:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/joe-burrow-hasn-t-had-much-help-with-bengals/ar-BB1m1APN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=ASTS&cvid=c960a1f76eeb4403895bdb191f33d504&ei=15

Very interesting

I think most fans on this board would agree. The OL has been an issue. I will add this, Joe B. hurt the OL grades the first 3 to 4 weeks being injured and a statue in the pocket. He needs to shoulder some of the blame last year for almost 25% of the grades of the OL (statue 4 of 17 games).
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 02:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think most fans on this board would agree. The OL has been an issue. I will add this, Joe B. hurt the OL grades the first 3 to 4 weeks being injured and a statue in the pocket. He needs to shoulder some of the blame last year for almost 25% of the grades of the OL (statue 4 of 17 games).

Well then the coaching staff didn't help Burrow in that instance. Players wanna play. There needs to be an adult in the room.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The line sucking kills 3 of the metrics (run block, pass block, and run) and limits the other (pass).

T. Brown & Mims should help. But we need a stud inside. Karras & Cappa are OK at best, Volson is poor, and there is no depth.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 02:51 PM)jason Wrote: Well then the coaching staff didn't help Burrow in that instance. Players wanna play. There needs to be an adult in the room.

Bingo Joe

He had no business playing those first 3 or 4 games. NONE !
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 03:03 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The line sucking kills 3 of the metrics (run block, pass block, and run) and limits the other (pass).

T. Brown & Mims should help. But we need a stud inside. Karras & Cappa are OK at best, Volson is poor, and there is no depth.

Again, Bingo

We need more and better depth inside. We have to do a much better job of protecting Burrow. And here I go on my Dead Horse again. But I'd love to see us get a vet RB, just in case. I have little faith in Evans and Williams if the two starters get dinged up.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 03:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Again, Bingo

We need more and better depth inside. We have to do a much better job of protecting Burrow. And here I go on my Dead Horse again. But I'd love to see us get a vet RB, just in case. I have little faith in Evans and Williams if the two starters get dinged up.

The Bengals may have to end up dipping into the during the season Free Agent running back market if one of their current top 2 guys gets hurt.

Cleveland signed Kareem Hunt in season last year after Nick Chubb got hurt and Hunt may remain unsigned as the 2024 season progresses.

A few of the below may have signed somewhere (it's a May 3 list) but many may remain unsigned to later get signed in season.
  • Dalvin Cook
  • Rashaad Penny
  • Cam Akers
  • Joshua Kelley
  • Latavius Murray
  • Kareem Hunt
  • Matt Breida
  • Jerick McKinnon
  • Jakob Johnson
  • Kevin Smith
  • Melvin Gordon
  • Alex Armah
  • Brandon Bolden
  • Eno Benjamin
Reply/Quote
Things are so bad that they had to bring in Zack Moss just to help block.  
The sad thing is that they're spending the money but it's just not doing any good.  

6th in positional spending for 2023.  Can't blame the FO.
https://overthecap.com/positional-spending

I think we all know what the common denominator is here.  Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you can still suck at your job.  
It's almost as if they're being coached incorrectly.....Maybe Zac doesn't have Google on his phone otherwise he would probably stumble across this data?  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
There is an interestingly fine line between people reading this stuff and saying "Wow, look how good Burrow is to succeed despite this" and people reading it and saying "Stupid media badmouthing the Bengals because they're pissed Burrow isn't on the Steelers or Cowboys."

(05-08-2024, 02:51 PM)jason Wrote: Well then the coaching staff didn't help Burrow in that instance. Players wanna play. There needs to be an adult in the room.

I think Browning looking good later in the season should help things like this going forward.  I can see why ZT would never ever ever want to not play Burrow given his W/L record without him, but ZT is going to be here for 20 years anyways....I don't know what anyone was thinking. 
Reply/Quote
This will definitely change this season with all the trades and maneuvers they have made in making sure this offense is loaded to the max for a Super Bowl run.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

I agree and stated it in the post.

He needs to shoulder some of the blame last year for almost 25% of the grades of the OL (statue 4 of 17 games).
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The dead horse is Pollack being the issue. Drafts picks wasted on the line with no development or anything to show for it. Free agents play regressed under him. I get it the FO probably knows he was right about Carman and probably think they owe him but enough is enough.

I do agree the line play with Browning shouldn’t be overlooked. So there is something to some of this being on Burrow.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2024, 09:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: The dead horse is Pollack being the issue. Drafts picks wasted on the line with no development or anything to show for it. Free agents play regressed under him. I get it the FO probably knows he was right about Carman and probably think they owe him but enough  is enough.

I do agree the line play with Browning shouldn’t be overlooked. So there is something to some of this being on Burrow.
I agree, but that just places the blame on Zac, not Burrow.

I've said this before and i'll say it again. FOr the offense to reach its potential, Zac needs to give Burrow what he NEEDS, not what he WANTS.

Great leaders know the difference between the two and give their subordinates what they NEED.
Reply/Quote
This article is stupid. To say Burrow gets no help when he had Chase and Higgins as receivers, he had Mixon at RB (yeah, I know he struggled at times) and outside of last year, he has had a defense that consistently came up big. If it were all Burrow and he has no help, how did Browning win?
Reply/Quote
Who's at the top of those ranks........would it be the overrated Pat & Lamar's teams? Put those guys on the Bengals the last 5 years & there's no Super Bowl wins or MVPs & no discussions of GOAT. Lamar would've done been out of the league from injuries & Pat would maybe be ok. They both went to the perfect teams for them. Also put Burrow on either of those teams & would he have a Super Bowl win?
Reply/Quote
the defense usually takes a big step up in the playoffs. And we all know the running game and o-line have been a giant skid mark on this team since burrow has been here

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2024, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This article is stupid. To say Burrow gets no help when he had Chase and Higgins as receivers, he had Mixon at RB (yeah, I know he struggled at times) and outside of last year, he has had a defense that consistently came up big. If it were all Burrow and he has no help, how did Browning win?

I was thinking the same thing, the Defense was just as big a part of our success in the Playoffs as Burrow has been.

Nothing against Burrow who has been hindered by poor OL play, but this is the truth. The FO and coaches have tried to get the OL
fixed, problem is the OL hasn't had much help from Pollack evidently. Our team has fight in them late in the year under Zac Taylor 
and Lou Anarumo and it shown once again late last year with Browning at QB and us nearly making the playoffs again.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2024, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This article is stupid. To say Burrow gets no help when he had Chase and Higgins as receivers, he had Mixon at RB (yeah, I know he struggled at times) and outside of last year, he has had a defense that consistently came up big. If it were all Burrow and he has no help, how did Browning win?

Browning didn't need no stinking help. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Such a thin weak article with little substance... we have helped Burrow with a supporting cast in his 5 years we drafted Chase and Higgins , a great duo , signed 3 veterans now at TE in Burrow time, signed 5 starting Oline via Free Agency (unheard of for Bengals), now just drafted a OT in 1st round, drafted Carman 2nd round in 2021. We decided to move on from Mixon and did replace him with a younger FA. So that is 12 players we have attempted to add that were either drafted high or taken in Free Agency. To say we have not attempted to support Burrow is wrong, maybe we have not done as well with some of the players we supported him with yes and maybe Burrow and his injuries have also hurt the performance of some of the supporting cast also...
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2024, 02:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Such a thin weak article with little substance... we have helped Burrow with a supporting cast in his 5 years we drafted Chase and Higgins , a great duo , signed 3 veterans now at TE in Burrow time, signed 5 starting Oline via Free Agency (unheard of for Bengals), now just drafted a OT in 1st round, drafted Carman 2nd round in 2021. We decided to move on from Mixon and did replace him with a younger FA. So that is 12 players we have attempted to add that were either drafted high or taken in Free Agency. To say we have not attempted to support Burrow is wrong, maybe we have not done as well with some of the players we supported him with yes and maybe Burrow and his injuries have also hurt the performance of some of the supporting cast also...

Where does playcalling come into any of this? Many posters continuing here have talked how the slow developing plays, running from shotgun with bad personnel, etc. I have to agree with you that the talent is here, but the coaching and playcalling hasn’t helped here as well.
Reply/Quote