Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why has the Super Bowl hype come and gone?
(05-29-2015, 12:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ok I'll bite.  First off, why is everyone so insistent on putting experts in quotations marks?  Is it because they don't always predict NFL-related  happenings with enough accuracy?  Is it because opinions are all worthless?  I don't get it.  The experts were going on about how talented the Bengals are/were and some people still want to act like they're all a bunch of ill-informed dopes.

Ok, general rant over, but I guess you sort of answer your own question in a sense.  The "experts" picked the Bengals to stop flopping in round 1 and make a run and the Bengals responded by flopping in round 1 2 years in a row.  Experts don't want to be wrong and therefore be considered hacks, so they're going to stop hyping up a team that continues to make them look like dopes whenever they give it their seal of approval.

Also, are we sure this team is that much better than the 2013 squad?  I get it, Jeremy Hill is going to run for 250 yards per game but our defense may not recover, Dalton may actually miss some games eventually, and we have yet to see if our great 2013 numbers can be reached by our new "promote-from-within-and-hope-for-the-best" coordinators.

I suppose my point is that I'm a Bengals fan who isn't paid to have an even slightly-informed opinion on football and I can't even put my name on the line to say the Bengals are going to the Super Bowl...can you?  Honestly, can you?

I put "experts" in quotations because the entire concept behind a sports "expert" is laughable. I don't think anyone is an expert when it comes to sports analysis. Sports are based off of parity and intangibles. Sure, people can make educated guesses based off of some sort of analytical data, but can't we all do that? What makes a former NFL football player sitting on ESPN's stage that has watched the EXACT same games that I have and has analyzed the EXACT same data that I have opinion better than mine? It comes down to an educated guess. I don't call anyone that makes educated guesses an "expert" by any means. 

I guess I should have used the term "analyst" in my original post. We would have avoided this entire conversation.  Tongue

But I agree with one of the above posters. I think its about lack of playoff wins. Once we finally win one (which I think we do this year), I think people will realize that this team is just as good, if not better, than people thought it was a couple years ago.  
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why has the Super Bowl hype come and gone? - WeezyBengal - 05-29-2015, 12:37 PM