Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/6/2/8715341/most-passing-yards-first-four-seasons

For a guy who everyone says "can't throw," Andy sure has thrown for a lot of yards. I am rooting for him. I think he has the talent to put it together and win a playoff game and more I really want him to succeed. I'll admit some of my reasons are not football related. He's a fabulous face for the Bengals, a guy who gives to others and doesn't get in trouble. A guy who has supported Cincinnati Children's Hospital, which is near and dear to my heart, along with other charities. So do I want him to succeed? Absolutely. I am really rooting for him this year because I think it's his last chance to win a playoff game before the Bengals move on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am with you, Bonnie. I think Andy Dalton has been a stellar performer since he got here.
Coming in his rookie year with no OTA's or help from the coaching staff.
Heading up a new team with not a lot of veterans on offense.
Wins 40 games in four years.
Hell yes!

Is Andy the perfect QB? No.
Can he play the position? Absolutely!
Not every team can have the best QB, There is only one of those.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 05:13 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/6/2/8715341/most-passing-yards-first-four-seasons

For a guy who everyone says "can't throw," Andy sure has thrown for a lot of yards.   I am rooting for him.  I think he has the talent to put it together and win a playoff game and more  I really want him to succeed.  I'll admit some of my reasons are not football related.  He's a fabulous face for the Bengals, a guy who gives to others and doesn't get in trouble.  A guy who has supported Cincinnati Children's Hospital, which is near and dear to my heart, along with other charities.  So do I want him to succeed?  Absolutely.  I am really rooting for him this year because I think it's his last chance to win a playoff game before the Bengals move on.

I really hope he does as well Bonnie. Dalton's problems have never been that he can't throw, and a lot of the blah, blah the press writes and you hear on here.

I really hope Hue and Marvin can pull their heads out of their asses and quit trying to mold Andy into this or that. I hope they can learn to game-plan to his strengths and quit trying to make "their plan" work !

I believe this has been a very large part of Andy's problem, how much is unknown but I'd like to find out !

Here's to Andy
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 09:31 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I really hope he does as well Bonnie. Dalton's problems have never been that he can't throw, and a lot of the blah, blah the press writes and you hear on here.

I really hope Hue and Marvin can pull their heads out of their asses and quit trying to mold Andy into this or that. I hope they can learn to game-plan to his strengths and quit trying to make "their plan" work !

I believe this has been a very large part of Andy's problem, how much is unknown but I'd like to find out !

Here's to Andy

He was really starting to grow in grudens system as we saw in 2013... Not sure how grudens system would have helped vs the injuries last year though... but it will be interesting to finally see Dalton in Hues System with all the Players he was suppose to have last year.

Heres hoping they find the right balance for success. Dalton should be able to air it out a bit more this season now that he wont be working with 1 main option a game.. (well hopefully that doesnt happen again.)
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton has played on teams that in my opinion are better than those of Marino, early 2000s Manning, Cam, or Carson.  I think that has contributed to his success.  That same team has also contributed to "his" failures, so go figure.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 09:56 AM)jason Wrote: Andy Dalton has played on teams that in my opinion are better than those of Marino, early 2000s Manning, Cam, or Carson.  I think that has contributed to his success.  That same team has also contributed to "his" failures, so go figure.

Thats really every team... No one guy can do it alone....

Even guys like AP need his defense to stop the other team lol.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 09:56 AM)jason Wrote: Andy Dalton has played on teams that in my opinion are better than those of Marino, early 2000s Manning, Cam, or Carson.  I think that has contributed to his success.  That same team has also contributed to "his" failures, so go figure.

They were 4-12 when he took over.  As the QB, he has to get some credit for the turn around.  With Gresham gone, Dalton and Green are basically the oldest skill players on the offense.  It's not like he inherited a good team.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 05:13 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/6/2/8715341/most-passing-yards-first-four-seasons

For a guy who everyone says "can't throw," Andy sure has thrown for a lot of yards.   I am rooting for him.  I think he has the talent to put it together and win a playoff game and more  I really want him to succeed.  I'll admit some of my reasons are not football related.  He's a fabulous face for the Bengals, a guy who gives to others and doesn't get in trouble.  A guy who has supported Cincinnati Children's Hospital, which is near and dear to my heart, along with other charities.  So do I want him to succeed?  Absolutely.  I am really rooting for him this year because I think it's his last chance to win a playoff game before the Bengals move on.

Just goes to show that the start of his career isn't all that "average" after all.  
Reply/Quote
With all the stats, injuries, and coaching factors involved, I don't think he'll ever get the monkey off his back until this team (with him at QB) wins at least one playoff game. And at this point, that might not even be enough. Fair or not. Just my two cents.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 10:24 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Just goes to show that the start of his career isn't all that "average" after all.  

But after a few more years and tape...............
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 10:22 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: They were 4-12 when he took over.  As the QB, he has to get some credit for the turn around.  With Gresham gone, Dalton and Green are basically the oldest skill players on the offense.  It's not like he inherited a good team.

4 of the 6 guys on that list were 1st overall picks that inherited the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel teams (Palmer had Kitna ease him in, admittedly) so Dalton getting a 4-12 team isn't too absurd. 

Manning drafted after the Colts went 3-13
Marino drafted after the Dolphins went 12-4
Palmer drafted after the Bengals went 2-14
Dalton drafted after the Bengals went 4-12
Bledsoe drafted after the Patriots went 2-14
Newton drafted after the Panthers went 2-14
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 10:24 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Just goes to show that the start of his career isn't all that "average" after all.  

He is average compared to his peers though. We could go back and forth all day about whether QBs in 2011-2014 were better than 5 years ago, 10 years, 15 years ago, etc. etc. but at the end of the day, he's an average QB at this point in time compared to the rest of the guys in the league.

Just because he had high volume yardage totals doesn't disprove the theory that he's average. If that were the case, I could show his INT totals and "prove" that he's a below average QB if we're only going to pick and choose 1 metric to decide his worth by.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 10:42 AM)djs7685 Wrote: He is average compared to his peers though. We could go back and forth all day about whether QBs in 2011-2014 were better than 5 years ago, 10 years, 15 years ago, etc. etc. but at the end of the day, he's an average QB at this point in time compared to the rest of the guys in the league.

Just because he had high volume yardage totals doesn't disprove the theory that he's average. If that were the case, I could show his INT totals and "prove" that he's a below average QB if we're only going to pick and choose 1 metric to decide his worth by.

True...I'd wager if you average out the overall QB ranking of those 6 guys compared to the field during their 1st 4 seasons Dalton would end up in 6th place.  Just an assumption, though.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 10:22 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: They were 4-12 when he took over.  As the QB, he has to get some credit for the turn around.  With Gresham gone, Dalton and Green are basically the oldest skill players on the offense.  It's not like he inherited a good team.

Yes the 2010 Bengals were 4-12, but the team that Dalton started with in '11 was quite a bit different.  I do give Dalton a lot of credit for that turnaround, but there were many factors.  I also don't point the blame squarely at Dalton for this team's failures as some others love to do.  It's silly to do that in a team sport with lots of moving pieces, and 3 phases of the game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 10:47 AM)jason Wrote: Yes the 2010 Bengals were 4-12, but the team that Dalton started with in '11 was quite a bit different.  I do give Dalton a lot of credit for that turnaround, but there were many factors.  I also don't point the blame squarely at Dalton for this team's failures as some others love to do.  It's silly to do that in a team sport with lots of moving pieces, and 3 phases of the game.

They were a "different" team.  They had a rookie QB and a rookie WR.  
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 10:58 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: They were a "different" team.  They had a rookie QB and a rookie WR.  

I don't understand this.

Jason made a very reasonable point and even said that he gives Andy credit for turning the team around, he just refuses to give any 1 player 100% of it for wins OR losses.

Why did you feel compelled to be condescending/combative after that post?
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 11:00 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I don't understand this.

Jason made a very reasonable point and even said that he gives Andy credit for turning the team around, he just refuses to give any 1 player 100% of it for wins OR losses.

Why did you feel compelled to be condescending/combative after that post?

What is hard to understand?  Indeed they were "different" most notably at two of the most important positions on the team.  Gone were Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson, and Terrell Owens.  In were Andy Dalton and AJ Green.  
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 11:02 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: What is hard to understand?  Indeed they were "different" most notably at two of the most important positions on the team.  Gone were Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson, and Terrell Owens.  In were Andy Dalton and AJ Green.  

You get very combative and unnecessarily condescending unless someone has an extremist-positive view about Andy Dalton.

That's what I don't understand.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 10:58 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: They were a "different" team.  They had a rookie QB and a rookie WR.  

Exactly... To be fair the rookie WR is a stud.  My point was the vets who had been Bengalized (TO, Carson, Chad...) were kicked to the curb.  That 2010 team should have been better than 4-12, and we all know it.  2010 was sandwiched between  10-6 and 9-7 teams.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote