Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons.
(06-07-2015, 01:06 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And Alex Smith was taken before Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf was "a close debate" as well at one time. The draft hype means absolutely nothing. 

My statement was he was never the most talented guy in the league. For his Bengals' career, he is one game over .500 62 wins to 61 losses. His career numbers if you add in the Jets and the one year in Arizona, 80-93. Compare him to Steve Young and tell me who ended up as the more natural talent.

Boomer was good, but his best quality wasn't his arm, it was his mind, which you actually agreed with. You called him a natural leader, and that was exactly what I said. He has that "it" factor the smarts and leadership and that is exactly what Andy is missing.

Dalton has the raw physical ability you don't have those great games he has had because you got lucky. He just has to find the way to tap into the other side of things, and be that field general that the great QB's are, like Peyton, like Brady, like Brees and Rodgers. Those guys command respect, and their team gives everything on every play. That is what Andy needs to find, that fire, that confidence, that drive.

A couple points...
1. What do you think Steve Young's record would have been if he had decided to enter into the NFL draft rather than AVOID the BENGALS (who presented him with their contact offer as they were going to draft him)? Boomer would have gone to the Giants and history would be a lot different. Do you think Steve Young's record would have been better than Boomer's had he finished his career with the team that drafted him once the USFL folded? That team was Tampa Bay and  Young's record as starter was 3–16. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes. Boomer was as good athletically as he was mentally and as a leader. He record is an indication of being drafted by a terribly ran organization...like many top talents the Bengals have wasted away under SOP's watch.

2. Point one makes point two...won loss records do not tell the whole story most of the time. Dalton has none of the skill set of the other QB's you mentioned. You will find no scouting report that says he has a strong NFL arm, that he can make all the throws, that he has great mobility, that he is fast, or has an uncanny knack for shedding off D-linemen. What Dalton was supposed to have was good NFL intelligence, and strong leadership ability. As you pointed out he does not have those either. Look at the air yards Dalton has...not very impressive. His receivers get a lot of YAC's for him. Now I do not discount his ability to find those open receivers and get them the ball. However I have come to realize he does it out of necessity due to his lack of being able to throw to the entire field. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons. - Rhinocero23 - 06-07-2015, 02:20 AM