Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons.
(06-07-2015, 04:41 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Rhino, we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. You have this blind belief that Dalton is garbage, and I choose to believe that he has the physical tools, just lacks in the mental side of things. You don't put up the numbers he has without being physically talented. Does he have room to improve in his physical game, absolutely. I just see a guy who can shred a team's defense and make all the throws, then the very next week, he looks lost, and confused and can't get out of his own way. That's not a physical issue, that is confidence and that "it" factor the great ones have.

Murdock I appreciate the dialog and I respect that you have an opinion. I realize that I am not going to change your view on Dalton’s skill-set nor do I want to. I do not think Dalton is “garbage”…I do think he has the athletic talent (skill-set) of a back-up NFL QB.  

I only present the facts so that others who are reading our banter are not misinformed by your passion to defend Dalton’s skills. Not only you, but several on here make statement about Dalton “shredding” teams, often mentioned are the Saints and how he looked like a hall-of-famer that can make any throw.

The Saints were a sub 500 team with a record of 4-5 when the Bengals played them. They had lost to the Falcons, Browns, Cowboys, Lions and 49er’s prior to losing to the Bengals. They finished the year 7-9…not very good. It’s par for the course for Dalton…like any NFL back-up he looks good against bad teams and every once in a great while (when all the stars align) he looks OK against a good team.

Unfortunately he does not fare well against good team very often. Most of the time, against good teams the Bengal's loose to the Dalton defenders can only say “Dalton didn’t lose this one”…the fact is he is not good enough in those games to win them.

Let’s look at the misnomer that Dalton “shredded” the saints. He threw the ball 22 times and completed 16…a great completion percentage on a low number of passes. He only had 220 yards of passing. Is that shredding a team? BTW the Bengals rushed for 186…yes Dalton had 12 of those on two carries. The game plan was to run the ball…only 37% of the plays were pass plays. One may think that the Bengals were playing a time of possession strategy to seal the game…well the Saints had the edge in TOP!

Of Dalton’s 16 completions, 6 or 38% were to #18. Those catches by #18 made up 58% of all the passing yards. The tight end caught 2 passes for 13 yards and 2 TD’s. Not “lights out” or “OMG” types of plays. One was a fumble short of the end zone that #84 recovered his self  for a TD…not sure how that is a passing TD but I digress.  The longest pass play was only 38 yards (to number #18) 6 YAC’s (32 in air…shredding?).  

Yes Dalton did take care of the ball; he had no INT’s and 3 TD’s…from that perspective ONLY it was a good game. He threw a beautiful 24yd TD to #18 with only 1 YAC…great touch on the ball. This is Dalton’s range…0-35 yds in the middle of the field or to the short sideline. That is not the range of a QB that can make all the throws.

BTW…the 10 pts scored by the Saints were the fewest of the season and 330 totals net yards was the 2nd fewest of the season for the Saints. The Defense won that game, period. Dalton was a participant of a win, not a reason the Bengals won.

Dalton had 220 yds 3 TD’s 0 Int’s against a defense that was terrible.
QB’s with three TD’s against the 2014 Satins: Ryan, Romo, and Newton. 
QB’s with 0 Int’s against the 2014 Saints: Rayn (2x’s), Hoyer, Bridegwater,  Romo, Kaepernick, Flacco, and Newton
QB’s with more than 220 yds against the 2014 Saints: Ryan (448), Romo, Glennon, Stafford (no #81), Rodgers (418), Flacco, Roethlisberger (435), Newton, Ryan.

Still think Dalton “shredded” the Saints?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons. - Rhinocero23 - 06-07-2015, 12:21 PM