Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons.
(06-11-2015, 10:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It's not an excuse...Palmer throws too many INTs.  I was pointing out that Fred (a guy I tend to like a lot) did the very lawyerly thing of presenting the statistics in a manner that made it seem like there was far more difference between the two than there really is.

What is interesting is that they have almost identical INT % as I think it's quite interesting that if/when Dalton throws as many passes as Palmer the stats would place him at throwing 1 less INT (actually, 1.44 less if we consistently extend data to the tenth's column).  Also interesting is that they both had 20 INT seasons and they had the EXACT number of attempts that season (both their highest number of attempts in their careers).

I’m not trying to make excuses, in fact the more I look at the stats the more I see Marvin Lewis and/or Mike Brown being somewhat blessed with two overall decent QBs and not making the most of the stability.  And I'm not sure how many people give Palmer a pass for his INT issues, but I'm not one of them.  Again, I just think it is amusing that we are comparing a metric where Dalton and Palmer are inconceivably similar.  It doesn't get much closer than the .03% separation in INT percentage and the fact that they both had career high season attempts of EXACTLY 586 and both tossed EXACTLY 20 INTs is implausible and humorous.

Where am I saying one is "better" than the other?

EDIT:  The closest thing I say to indicate Palmer is better than Dalton is that Palmer was (ever so briefly) performing in the top echelons of NFL QBs.  The question is can Dalton return to, or exceed his 2013 performance and what can Palmer do in Arizona before the curtain falls.

The excuse I was talking about was when you mentioned Palmer playing against Polamalu and Ed Reed. I'm aware that there is a very minute difference in Palmer and Dalton's INT%. I totally agree that it's interesting how similar they are in that regard. I've always wondered if Zampese is part of the problem.

(06-11-2015, 11:26 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I know, but the OP title is:
List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons.

So I wanted to stay on topic and show the OP and everyone else that he's not as good as everyone seems to believe. Can he be good? Yes, the ability appears to be there, but we've only seen it once out of 4 years so far. Now, for last year, I'll give him a bit of a pass, hard to put up numbers when your top targets are down. So as long as everyone is healthy this year, then I expect that he better have another top 10 year. If not, then we need to think about a replacement.

Honestly, I just disagree with yardage being used to judge QB's. So I disagree with the premise of the OP as well. 

I don't think we need to search for a replacement if Dalton isn't a top 10 QB, but he definitely needs to improve on last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons. - Shake n Blake - 06-11-2015, 03:18 PM