Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons.
(06-13-2015, 11:02 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The Bengals were 3rd in (least) sacks given up in 2014, with only 23, and 2nd in (least) QB hits, with only 48.  In 2013 they were also 3rd, in (least) sacks, with 29, and 1st in (least) QB hits with 47.  In 2011 they were 4th and 4th respectively.  The only year of Dalton's career they ranked poorly in these stats was 2012, when they were 26th in sacks, but they were still 7th in QB hits.

This idea that Dalton sees an unordinary amount of pressure is simply not true.  It's just not.  In fact, he's one of the better protected QB's in the league.  It doesn't take a genius to look at that line and realize that they're above average.  Some of you find more excuses and bs surround Dalton then I ever thought possible.

And to answer your question about Brady, he doesn't get a "free pass".  He's won 4 Superbowls. He's been league MVP three times.  He's never thrown even 15 Int's in a single season.  Not once.  In 15 years.  He has a ridiculous winning percentage.  etc, etc, etc...  He's not given a free pass for anything.  He just plays better than most and has earned the benefit of the doubt on the rare occassion he doesn't.  To insinuate he doesn't anything poorly at a similar rate to Dalton is ridiculous.  And the simple answer to your question is, he's Tom ***** Brady!

All the stats and rankings you compile to defend the amount of time that Dalton is provided while in a passing set misses the mark.  You completely neglect the game plan and the fact that the offense, under Hue, has been one of getting the ball out very quickly.  There are a lot of screens, slants, and check downs. 

Instead of using rankings on sacks and hits, look at the actual game.  Another example of this is how putzburg is continually ranked near the bottom of the NFL in offensive line performance.  But their offense for some time (although Haley is wisely trying to change that) has been predicated on Big Jen holding the ball for an eternity, sliding around the pocket, and waiting for something to emerge downfield.  Their offensive line may give up a lot of sacks, but every time I watch them, no one is NEAR Benderella after three seconds.  That is an eternity in the NFL. 

At no point did I say that Dalton is under an inordinate amount of pressure.  I said that when he is kept clean, he picks teams apart.  Look at the New Orleans game.  They had absolutely zero defensive pressures.  Ditto Atlanta. 

As far as your defense of Brady, I just find it interesting that no one seems to give any credit to the protection afforded to him by his offensive line.  I have seen games where Brady was not even hit.  Not once.  He wasn't even shoved to the ground after a pass.  But the fact is, he hates pressure in his face.  That is why against Seattle it was all quick little hitches and screens and almost nothing down the field.  In the Giants match-ups, he struggle with the pressure right in his face. 

Yes, he is the QB of a team that won four Super Bowls, and he is a heck of a player, but people make him out to be an immortal and it just isn't true.  Heck, our own beloved Bengals broke his precious consecutive TD streak....with pressure in his face.  The fact that he plays in such a notoriously weak AFC East has helped him quite a bit in the past.  I will be VERY interested to see how he fares this season against a stout Buffalo defense, and a Dolphins defense that now has Suh. 

Dalton came in to the league with two perennial Super Bowl contenders in his division.  Look at his numbers against the rest of the league.  They are pretty damn good.  And even on the road.  He has started to turn the corner against them as well, sweeping Baltimore last year.  And although most folks will immediately point to his postseason failures, Dalton did not play poorly against the Chargers or the Colts.  He did struggle against the Texans in his first two seasons, but the entire team struggled, as they have seemingly for every playoff game under Marvin. 

The offensive line lost the starting RG and RT a year ago.  They lost the starting LG the year before that.  They had a rookie center last year.  I think the offensive line is poised to be the deepest and most talented they have had in a long time for 2015.  That is why I am so optimistic about Dalton and the entire offensive heading in to 2015.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: List of QBs with most passing yards in first four seasons. - SHRacerX - 06-13-2015, 11:33 AM