Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History. Most underrated Bengal....among Bengal fans
This wouldn't be my first choice, but just to add a name to the discussion....

Peter Warrick.

Hear me out, here. I know he's often regarded as one of our bigger busts. And it's certainly true that he didn't live up to his draft position. But I do think he's somewhat underrated by Bengals fan, or at least criticized more than he needs to be.

He's what I consider to be a "square peg", who joined a dreadful offense, who got severely hurt when he finally was coming into his own.

Peter Warrick was never going to be a #1 receiver. Ever. He's what, 5'10 and a 180 pounds? His best role would have been as an X factor, working a lot underneath, and being a special teams weapon. Think Percy Harvin in Minnesota. That would have been an ideal situation for him to join. Except he didn't have that role early on here. He was used a #1 and hardly every saw a punt return. (He didn't see significant special teams work until 2003)

His first year he was catching balls from mostly Akili Smith and some Scott Mitchell. Not much else needs to be said about the QB situation. The number 2 wide receiver that year was Craig Yeast, followed by Danny Farmer, and then fellow rookie Ron Dugans. Tony McGee was 2nd in receiving yards at 309. (Read that stat line again) Needless to say, he had very little help.

His 2nd year the offense was lead by Jon Kitna. He threw for 12 TD's and 22 picks, good for 61.1 rating. (I honestly forgot just how bad we were) Much of the same as far as QB play. Darnay Scott returned to the number 1 role, yet Warrick improved a tad statistically.

His 3rd year the offense was lead by three different QB's. First it was Gus Ferrotte (Scream if you love left handed shovel passes) Then Jon Kitna took over, who played average at best. Sprinkle in a dash of Akili and you've got yourself a helluva turd sandwich. These guys combined for 17 passing TD's. This was the year (year 2) Chad broke out. Warrick only started 10 games but managed a respectable 600 yards.

And here we are in year 4. For the first time the team sees decent QB play. First time over an 80 rating. Warrick has plenty of outside help and the team is actually decent. What does he do? In 15 games, with 14 starts, he has 79 catches for 819 yards and 7 TD's. He does very good in the punt return department and actually wins us a game by taking it to the house. (KC = Still maybe my favorite Bengals game of all time)

Then he gets hurts and that's that.

The point of all this is simple. He joined and played on some truly awful teams. Historic even. He was misused. And as soon as he situations started to improve he was hurt. I think, given the right circumstances, he could have had a much, much better career. I can only imagine the damage he could do running underneath routes in an offense like we have now, or on the Pats, or Packers, etc. And for these reason I think Warrick is underrated by Bengals fans. He was more than just another bust.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: History. Most underrated Bengal....among Bengal fans - Wes Mantooth - 01-29-2016, 02:32 PM