Poll: Do you want more posts like this?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bodine: Where he needs to improve in year 2
(06-08-2015, 01:27 AM)phil413 Wrote: First off great post, very to the point with proper examples.  I won't debate if he will get to where he needs to be this year, that's his job.  They'll give him every opportunity, but they're covering themselves if he isn't.  They didn't look to a vet backup and TJ Johnson still has to battle just to make the roster.

I think that means Boling is an option at center if need be, especially if Fisher and less likely Ogbuedi is ready at some point to play LG.  So say 5 games in Bodine regresses, it's an option to get the best talent on the field and still have Bodine as solid depth.  This isn't a slam on Bodine, he has the job now it's his job to keep it.

The goal every year should be to get your five best players in on the OL. Whether it means working Z or Boling at center and the rookies at guard (don't forget we have Hopkins too) or starting a rookie over a vet. Get your five best on the field. 

(06-08-2015, 01:30 AM)bonesaw Wrote: I think Bodine will be OK.  He seemed to have the mean streak.  I noticed him drive to the end of the whistle alot.  Being competitive will mask some of his shortcomings.  When he got beat it was right away, like you said mostly hand position or over extending his weight from trying to hard to be aggressive.  To me that is all rookie mistakes.  He could definitely use some more strength/size but he can be pretty good.  Nice thread

Rookie mistakes are things like missing a snap count, false starts or general brain farts.  Bodine's problems extend beyond rookie mistakes. Players rarely change with their hands, you can fix things like bad footwork, false steps, base too wide etc...but the problem with hands is that they are more connected to the attitude. The big punch off the snap, quick inside hands. Bodine's short arms and lack of punch make it very difficult for him to win positioning. 

(06-08-2015, 02:42 AM)Stormborn Wrote: See this thread? This is what a thread should aspire to become.

Bodine is probably the easiest guy to get a read on. He lacks proper functional strength to anchor  and has shorter than average arms to win at first contact. It's hard to maintain and drive through blocks when you lack these two qualities without refined and excellent technique, which you hit on repeatedly and immensely.

Solid 2 thumbs up.

Thanks. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bodine: Where he needs to improve in year 2 - RoyleRedlegs - 06-08-2015, 11:19 AM