Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking ahead to 2017 draft
Here's my thinking (assumed 1 3rd and 1 4th comp pick):

1 DE -- Dunlap may not be old but it takes a few years to get good at the position and why not have depth and players ready for the future. At the very least I don't anticipate us re-signing Hunt (hope he proves us all wrong this year), so you're going to need a player and it is a premium position worth spending (hopefully) a late 1st round pick on.

2 WR -- A month ago I would have agreed with the person above who said we need a speed WR. Now Core looks to be a nice surprise but we could still use more talent at this position. Boyd will also be a part of our future, but Brandon Lafell is actually 29 so he's probably not a long term solution. Building for a few years out, you get another quality starter here, possibly another speed guy who can return kicks or punts.

3a Linebacker -- Hopefully we're turning this position around. Burfict is obviously a pro-bowler and still pretty young to boot. If Dawson and Vigil really become strong starters and we keep Flowers around, we'll still eventually need replacements for V. Rey and Rey M. (28 and 29) and in the shorter run, Karlos Dansby (probably plays for two years with us). I think we'll probably reshuffle things so that Vigil or Burfict are in the middle so you're more likely looking at us picking an OLB -- hopefully one who can pass rush. That said, we've gotten burned picking LBs in the 3rd before. Donte Moch and ILB Rod Muckleroy didn't pan out (though the latter was due to injury) so we may shy away from picking this way. OTOH Guenther probably has a lot of sway now and he used to be an LB coach so maybe he can find a gem who's fallen here.

3b Interior OLine -- Even with the Christian Westerman pick we know Winston isn't here for too much longer and Zeitler might not get re-signed. Trey Hopkins will be on the roster but I see him as another depth player. And yes, picking someone who could play C/G might give us a possible B plan if we decide we haven't seen enough from Bodine by the end of his contract. If we do re-sign Zeitler, TJ Johnson's contract will be expiring and maybe a draftee can take that spot.  

4a Running Back -- I love Cedric Peerman and technically he's an RB in name only at this point (and as a backup), but 29 means he may start to lose a step on special teams soon too. Of course Tasker was still making pro-bowls at 35 and he was a gunner instead of just a coverage guy (hard to know who takes more abuse but probably the gunner?) but who knows if other players can last that long. Both Ced and Rex Burkhead have their contracts set to expire next year, and Hill a year after that. One would assume Hill's re-signing is a no brainer unless he asks for stupid money but maybe you can pressure him a bit by replacing either Ced or Rex with new blood (probably Ced as Rex has mos def contributed to this offense and is younger).

4b Quarterback -- AJ McCarron has been a great backup but because of that he'll be paid more by some other needy team. Find another QB who can be a project or wow unexpectedly if Dalton ever misses time again.

5 DE #2 -- We like to pick multiples of a position in a draft and I believe DE is that strong of a need. Maybe it means we keep 5 DEs for a year. That's fine, it is a very important position.

6 Backup OT -- As someone said above, with Whit and Winston soon to be gone, even if you have your starters in Ced O. and Jake F., you need some depth. No need to go super early as I think those guys will work out but a backup will be needed.

7 Defensive Back/Special Teams -- Probably a CB but maybe one who is bulky enough to play safety. Or rather, if they are bulky we are drafting a special teams coverage guy, if they are lanky/fast then he's a returner. Either way this is all about special teams, though yes, we will have an opening at CB soon. I think we'll probably re-sign Dre K (he really is underrated by PFT and people around here) but Adam Jones isn't gonna play at this level forever. And Chris Lewis-Harris will have his contract expiring next year.

I think the theme here is building for a future. When the team is run well and working we don't have immediate pressing needs that will make or break us. So you're drafting for 3-5 years down the road, which is the best possible situation. And the other theme is Special Teams. Even when I didn't mention it explicitly, you're probably looking for guys with Special Teams upside at with more than a few of these picks.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Looking ahead to 2017 draft - WrongVerb - 05-02-2016, 06:02 PM
RE: Looking ahead to 2017 draft - Luvnit2 - 05-23-2016, 04:21 PM
RE: Looking ahead to 2017 draft - Luvnit2 - 08-21-2016, 01:12 PM
RE: Looking ahead to 2017 draft - J24 - 05-10-2016, 12:28 AM
RE: Looking ahead to 2017 draft - J24 - 08-03-2016, 12:48 AM
RE: Looking ahead to 2017 draft - 3wt - 05-12-2016, 04:47 PM
RE: Looking ahead to 2017 draft - 3wt - 05-18-2016, 02:55 PM
RE: Looking ahead to 2017 draft - phil413 - 05-17-2016, 02:07 AM
RE: Looking ahead to 2017 draft - Beaker - 05-31-2016, 10:13 AM