Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confidence Now vs. This Time Last Year
(08-05-2016, 02:14 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I'm very confident in the defense.  Last year Burfict wasn't available for the first six games, this year only the first three.  Picking up Dansby enhances the coverage options at linebacker a great deal.  I feel that the secondary is strong simply because the younger guys have had one more year to learn and can fill in better.  

On offense, I'm less confident, but maybe I can talk myself into being equally confident as last year.  The RB position is at the same level. The QB position is slightly improved because, McCarron has more experience and the confidence of the team, and of course Andy has made a big leap last year.  The linemen are better IMO with the addition of Westerman and the replacing of Andre with Cedric.   Eifert and Kroft are hurt, but if both of them can come back at the start of the season, then this can be considered an upgrade because Kroft should be much better now than he was as a rookie last year.  Combine that with the solid play of Hewitt and Uzomah improving (at least the Bengals.com site spins it that way) and the TE position is better this year.  My only concerns is the WR position.  AJ is as good or better than last year, and I feel Boyd and/or LaFell will be an upgrade over Sanu (who I don't think is much of a loss at all).  However, it remains to be seen if Marvin Jones can be replaced by either Boyd or LaFell, because IMO he brought more speed than the other two, who have a different style of playing.  But I wouldn't be surprised if the team doesn't miss a beat.

With all that said, the major unknown is going to be injuries.  While last year was very lucky in terms of injuries (until the major one to Andy at the end of the year), I can only hope that they don't have any major injuries during the course of the year.  I still feel better with all the additions on both offense and defense (LaFell, Boyd, Billings, Dansby Ogbuehi), but don't know how this will translate record wise because the schedule is brutal at times.

Good job bringing Westerman into the conversation. This guy could be a great pick for us.

Also, i understand why people are hesitant to think we have replaced MLJ. I don't know that either.

Cody Core has that speed with more size but he is only a rookie. Alford has that speed but not the hands or size.

The first 6 games are definately tough and for one or two of them we might not have Eifert and the first three we
know we don't have Burfict. I still think we should go atleast 3-3 early, we will see though. Chemistry will be an
issue early, that we know. Good thing we play the Jets first who don't have the greatest Offense and the Steelers
next who have a sad looking Secondary.

Uzomah's play is definately a positive as of late. At 6'6" 271 lbs with his speed, dude...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Confidence Now vs. This Time Last Year - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-05-2016, 02:54 PM