Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nugent will cost us at least 1 game this year
This is what happens a lot around here. We have a player who is middle of the pack, but far from the worst in the league, ana certain group starts claiming that he has to be cut immediately. They claim that although the player is not close to the worst in the league he can easily be replaced. This is just not how the NFL works.

I am not saying that Nugent is great. I also wish we had a consistent top 10 kicker. But it is absurd to make claims like "It is unacceptable to have Nugent on the roster." or "He will be here forever no bad how he plays." or "No other kicker would miss a 45 yard FG." So I am not so much defending Nugent as I am pointing out that the extremist around here have no idea what they are talking about. Hell, one guy even complained that when Nugent does make a kick it is not always right down the middle.

The average NFL team attempted 31 FGs last year. And when you look at the FG percentages in the middle of the pack just one miss can move a guy down 10 places in the standings. The differences between the guys in the low 20's and the guys just outside the top 10 is negligible.

So while we all wish for an All Pro kicker we also have to remember that Nugent is not the only guy that misses FGs. There were 153 missed FG last year and Nugent only had 5 of them. And last year Nugent was above the league average at both 50+ and 40-50.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nugent will cost us at least 1 game this year - fredtoast - 08-16-2016, 08:58 AM