Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you have given up to get Luck?
(06-23-2015, 02:48 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Knowing what we know now, would you have traded:

370 2nd 53 Devon Still
370 2nd 53 Margus Hunt
150 3rd 88 Will Clarke
800 1st 21 Tyler Eifert
800 1st 21 Ced Ogbuehi
Andy Dalton (2nd Round 35, valued at 550 when he was picked -- probably worth more after his first year though)

Honestly, part of me was hoping we would have been the worst team in the league that year. I'm usually not the "I'd rather get a higher pick than lose in the WC round!" kind of guys, but that was probably the one time in 10+ years that I felt that way. If the team would have been a dumpster fire as expected in 2011, we'd either have A. Andrew Luck + the rest of our 2011/12 roster, or B. Dalton + about a billion first and second rounders from whichever team traded us their entire drafts for the 1st overall. Not to mention, a team in the top 10 likely would have been our trade partner, so you get an absurd amount of value PLUS you still pick in the top 5/10 that same year to get an elite prospect.

As far as the original question goes, I usually have a really hard time being okay with trading so many high round picks for any rookie, but Andrew Luck is Andrew Luck. It's tough because on one hand, in hindsight, I'd definitely do the trade knowing what we ended up with in our draft picks. On the other hand, I don't think I'd have been able to pull the trigger at the time without the hindsight even though he's a once a decade or more type of prospect. That's a LOT to get rid of for one guy that might not even pan out exactly as expected.

(06-27-2015, 03:26 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: So fred can remind everyone how they don't know as much as coaches do. 
Unless they disagree with fred, then he knows more. 

It's honestly as if some people don't "get" how message boards are supposed to work.

It would be like going onto a car enthusiast board telling everybody how they're stupid for enjoying their modification hobby because the original manufacturer clearly knows how to build a car the "right" way.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you have given up to get Luck? - djs7685 - 06-29-2015, 08:36 AM