Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game?
The answer is, more than likely, no. If you were to evaluate a yes or no question outside of sports, with a similar amount of data, it would prove this. It is unlikely they do any better than they've done previously. Why? Because little to nothing has changed. A similar approach, with a long proven track record, should, more often than not, yield similar results.

We heard how they'd surely win when they had a full offseason and Andy AJ had another year under their belt. Didn't happen.

We heard that surely in year 3, with another year of seasoning for a duo that already had a fund set aside for them, and with a plethora of added weapons (Eifert, Bernard, the emergence of Marvin Jones), that we'd certainly be poised to take the next step and be a contender. Even getting a game at home, against a team we already beat , against a West Coast team in an AFCN stadium, in January, a kickoff at 10am their time...it still didn't happen. Not only did it not happen, we were embarrassed and outscored 20-0 in the second half, and suffered the biggest margin of defeat for the entire round (we were the worst team).

Then we heard that with Jay Gruden gone and genius that is Hue Jackson stepping in that we'd surely take that next step in year 4. We even added another weapon to the offense. This was to be the year. Shocker >>>> DID. NOT. HAPPEN.

And these are just the "reboot" years. It didn't happen in 2009 either, which was another home game.

It didn't happen under Carson. It didn't happen under Andy. It didn't happen under Brat. It didn't happen under Gruden. It hasn't happened with Hue Jackson either. It didn't happen under Frazier, Breshnahan, Zimmer, or Gunther.

In fact, it didn't happen in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 or 2014. (Just ratting off those years is exhausting.)

And if you want to take it bigger than the reboot years and the Marvin years, let's look at the Mike years. It hasn't happened in 25 years. That's a QUARTER of a CENTURY!!! 25 years, and this Mickey Mouse owner, with Mom and Pop's Nickle and Dime approach hasn't produced one stinking playoff win. Do you know how poorly run of a team you have to be to accomplish this in this league. It's statistically more likely to win 3 Superbowls over 25 years than it is not even luck your way into one playoff win.

So for me to come up with answer I just ask myself one question: Why should this year be any different than previous years? (The last 4, the last 12, and the last 25?)

I can't come up with one single answer to that question. Nothing has changed. Same owner, same general approach, same head coach, entire coaching staff returning, much of the coaching staff here going back a decade or more. You've got the same QB, same core group of skill players, you've got the same schemes you've been running for years... I could go on and on.

Look, I get fans convince themselves of things getting better for no other reason than that's just how it goes. I'll admit I'm in the minority of fans. But if I'm being totally honest and fair, looking at this team like any other, I can't see any logical reason to believe that the results should change. Because the approach certainly hasn't.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game? - Wes Mantooth - 07-08-2015, 05:31 PM