Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game?
(07-09-2015, 09:46 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: 1. The playoff wins themselves aren't some sort of holy games that are enshrined in the NFL Hall of Fame. Their NFL games. Just like the 16 we play over the course of the season.

2. You'd have to be superstitious in order to honestly insinuate that winning a playoff game in relevant compared to winning in the regular season.

3. I don't think any Bengals fan is going to watch one playoff win, and then say "Oh look, we've come so far versus the past four years. This is much better than the annual one and done."

4. Personally, I would like a playoff win, simply because they are stepping stones to the Super Bowl. That's it. If you win a playoff game, and fail to win the championship, you're just like the other 31 teams that didn't win the Super Bowl.

5. Don't settle for mediocrity when it's clear that we all want so much more.

Huh? I'm not sure what happened to our native language, but I'll attempt to translate as best as I can.

1. Do all 16 regular season games immediately eliminate you from the tournament leading to the final championship game? I'm sorry, I must have missed where they changed the rules. SOME regular season games are just as big as playoff games, but playoff games are absolutely bigger than your average regular season matchup. Sure, you have to win in the regular season to get to the playoffs, but once you're in, those 1 game elimination games become more important than anything else. Not many single regular season games dictate what a single playoff game does. It's the same thing as once you make the Super Bowl, that becomes the biggest game of the year and the playoff games were just a stepping stone. Playing well in the regular season < playing well in the WC/DIV/CONF rounds < playing well in the SB. You need to play well in all of them, but 1 immediately becomes MUCH more important than the other as you go through the process. I don't know how or why anyone would argue otherwise.

2. I'm not even sure if I know what you're trying to say here. Do you know what the word relevant means? I'm going to guess that you're trying to say "You'd have to be superstitious to believe that winning a playoff game is more important than winning in the regular season." If that's what you meant, check my answer to #1.

3. I think EVERY Bengals fan except for you and a very small handful of other like-minded individuals will say that way, actually. Do we all want a championship? Absolutely! Is a playoff win a step in the right direction and a "baby step" to a potential title? It definitely is, and you're just using some absurd logic if you disagree with that.

4. So you just completely contradict your third point with the first sentence of the fourth, but then go on to say that we're in the same position as the other 30 (not 31) teams that didn't win the Super Bowl. Interesting theory, but you're wrong again. Being a perennial playoff contender and winning in the postseason changes more than you're willing to admit. Just for starters, your city becomes more desirable to some of the better veteran free agents that are trying to win a title. If the Patriots and Raiders offer an All-Pro vet the same contract, they may choose the Patriots to try and win a championship. Every FA is different, some are looking for warm weather, some want to be around their family, some just seek the absolute most cash. It's just 1 example of how being a playoff contender can absolutely be much different than being a bottom of the barrel team.

5. There aren't many people that fit in the whole "accepting mediocrity" line that people throw around. There are a couple of guys that will be happy and try to turn everything positive even if we go 0-16, but I don't think there's enough of them, especially on the new board to warrant this statement being thrown around right now. It's sort of silly.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game? - djs7685 - 07-09-2015, 10:07 AM