Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game?
(07-10-2015, 08:36 AM)djs7685 Wrote: And 0 points on offense in the second half of every game.
And a lot of rushing yards given up.
And not many rushing yards on offense.
And a lot of other stuff that doesn't look very good for the team and coaching staff.

At least PDub is going into detail showing play-by-play to further prove his points. I'm not saying that I agree with the exact premise of Andy causing the defense to stink it up in some of the playoff games, you have to at least be willing to read his posts and realize a decent point is being made.

People that excuse Andy for everything but the weather ( Smirk love ya Shake) always run to blame the defense anytime that somebody mentions that Andy may need to play better in the playoffs. If you look at every single play of the San Diego game, Gio Bernard and Andy Dalton are your two biggest culprits here for that loss. The defense did NOT play as poorly as some want to say they did. They kept this team in the game over and over by limiting points off turnovers until they just couldn't hang anymore themselves. Could they have played better? Sure. Should they have stepped up and put the team on their back to carry the miserable offense? I'd have loved to see it, but I just can't bring myself to expect that from them.

I'll give the offense and defense equal blame in a couple of the playoff games, but the defense absolutely played well enough to win Houston #2 and against San Diego. Anyone that's willing to look at the detailed play-by-play objectively just really can't disagree with that. You don't have to force a ton of turnovers and sack the QB constantly to have a decent or better game. They did what they needed to, and the offense didn't step up. I'm not blaming Andy solely here, but I will absolutely blame the offense more than the defense for 2 of the 4 most recent playoff games. Marvin Lewis, Jay Gruden, Andy Dalton, Gio Bernard, BJGE, Marvin Jones, A.J. Green, Kyle Cook, Jermaine Gresham, Andrew Hawkins, Kevin Zeitler, Andre Smith, and anybody else on that side of the ball. The list goes on with whoever played significant snaps in 2012 - 2013.

I give you the defensive performance in the 2012 Texan playoff loss was good enough to win and close to on par of how the defense performed in the regular season.

In 2013, I disagree as the defense was killed in T.O.P. for 2 reasons, the offensive game plan changed to throw the ball 34 times which was a very bad game plan by Gruden. Second, our run defense was horrible (far worse than the 2013 regular season run defense) and it started early and often as Rivers early in the game would run 2 running plays for 7 or 8 yards and then be in short 3rd down situations.

Our defense's inability to stop the run and force Rivers to throw hurt our chances to win that game. This has nothing to do with the AD second half performance, yes he was bad also, AJ Green was too dropping a TD pass with 6 minutes to go and down 10.

I believe if we could have forced the Chargers and Rivers into more 3rd and long situations, the pass rush with our crowd noise would have been a factor. Our pass rush was a non factor the entire game as Rivers was able to dunk and dink due to the porous run defense.

So, in my opinion our defense has had one year out of 4 where they equaled their regular season defensive performance. That is my issue, no unit steps up in the playoffs and takes over a game consistently.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game? - Luvnit2 - 07-10-2015, 11:57 AM