Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game?
(07-11-2015, 09:37 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Shake,

Lets stop theorizing and lets cover what actually happened in the SD game....

Defensively

1st half, D gives up 7 points.

2nd half, D gives up 7 points UNTIL.... back to back to back turnovers midway through the 3rd quarter by Andy Dalton. Two of which are on extremely short fields - the other on the 50. The D still only gives up two field goals from that. The offense.... rudderless and dead in the water.
The chargers long rushing TD came in garbage time when the game was over and had no baring on the outcome whatsoever.

And you want to dish out any sort of blame on the D for that game? You want to say that what the offense did, more specifically Andy Dalton, did not influence the defense? Come on, dude.

I already broke down the two Texans games in detail. Want me to do it again? It's virtually the same story, man: D gives up 7 or 10 points in the first half, AD goes on a pants crapping streak.... Bengals lose.

PDub80,

You're missing the point. If the defense fell apart after a couple turnovers by the QB, they are mentally weak and that's on them. There are literally thousands of examples of defenses playing well despite multiple turnovers by the QB. I'm not sure how any NFL fan wouldn't realize this.

Heck, the week before the Chargers game, Dalton threw 4 int's vs the Ravens. How did the defense fare that week? They harassed Flacco with 2 sacks and multiple hurries. They picked off Flacco 3 times. They held the Ravens to 222 total yards (47 rushing). They held the Ravens to 4/15 on 3rd downs.

By your logic, they should've just fallen apart. After all, the QB had a bad game, and any time the QB has a bad game, we can't expect the defense to play well.  Rolleyes 

But not only did our D play well, they were outstanding. 

As for your play-by-play, the D allowed 6 points off of turnovers (including Gio's fumble). Kudos to them for that. But they allowed 21 points that weren't off of turnovers. They allowed 199 rush yards. Rivers carved them up on the first drive of the 2nd half (before Dalton's turnovers). The Bengals were down 10 with 2:27 left when Ronnie Brown hit that long TD. Whether that was "garbage time" is debatable. I doubt the Packers or Seahawks would consider that to be garbage time. And lets be honest, if Dalton threw an INT in the same situation, you guys would most definitely be counting it. 

Now that I've responded to your point, respond to mine. 

- What about the thousands of examples of defenses playing well despite a poor performance by the QB? 
- Why do you give our defense a pass when so many defenses have played well (including ours) in similar situations. 
- What about last year, when the QB threw 0 int, yet our defense gave up a season high in pass yardage and 140 yards to a 3rd string RB?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game? - Shake n Blake - 07-11-2015, 01:45 PM