Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game?
I slapped this together by transposing data from wikipedia (so I may have made more than 0 human errors in transfer) but I wanted to look at the net points for the offense and defense in each game to see how many points out offense really scores per game and how many the defense gives up.  I also included the total yards given up for each defensive failure and highlighted what seemed to be to be the "short fields" set up by a turnover (mostly likely...not 100% sure).  I gave the offense a -7 for the pick six Dalton threw in 2011 and gave the defense a +7 for the pick six Hall had in 2012.

So, if my math is correct (feel free to double-check) our offense is good for 7.25 points per game and the defense gives up -22.5 per game.  I realize this is a specific set of circumstances, but 7.25 points per game means if the Bengals in the playoffs from 2011 were a 16-game team they would probably have the worst NFL offense in generations (this is speculation, but it's really bad).  So, it seems the defense plays at a below average level but the offense is the pits in the playoffs.  Honestly, the data here leads me to conclude the issue is the offense by a mile.  Especially in 2012 where our defense had a net -12 to our offenses net 6...our defense outscored the offense.  That's not good.  At all. I think the 85 Bears' defense could carry this offense to a win, but other than that we may as well throw in the towel.
Questions?  Comments?  Corrections?

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can Andy and the Bengals finally win a playoff game? - Nately120 - 07-11-2015, 09:07 PM