Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are We Moving Away From Two-TE Sets?
(07-11-2015, 09:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We took out top-rated TE in the draft, and Hill did most of his damage from a lone back formation, but I've been seeing sights that talk like we'll have a fullback in the game on most downs.

On ESPN, it even has our main formation for our depth chart as having a fullback.   I've seen other sites similar to that, also.

Even CincyJungle talks like we won't have two tight ends on the field at the same time:

Sounds to me like they're saying Kroft won't have much value, which I'm not expecting him to light-it-up, but I think he could have a solid year.

Not to mention that a two-tight end set is the best way to attack the 3-4 defenses of the division.

(The article mentions how Rutgers switched to a run-heavy offense last season, which most likely explains Kroft's dropping as far as he did.)

Am I seeing this wrong?

A few thoughts on this...

- Marvin said a few weeks ago that most of Hill's yards came from a two back set: Hill & Hewitt. He said that what was most impressive is how well they worked even with 3 wide. The Bengals see Hewitt as the best fullback in football.

- Kroft's last year at Rutgers was hampered by their system. I am not worked up over him. I think he will evolve into a good, reliable player. In The minis he showed a need to develop for sure.

- CJ Uzomah is the one who intrigues me. Reports were that he did great in the minis. He has to evolve as well, but I see him as a Jimmy Graham type where he is split out wide. He's 6'5, 265, runs a 4.6 and can catch. That is mismatch city for a 3-4 LB.

Hopefully, with Hewitt in the mix at FB, the Bengals start being a little more innovative with their TEs and how they work them down field.

Uzomah or the CB Shaw are the two draft picks who I would look at as who to get a jersey for. I see them having a big impact by end of year.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are We Moving Away From Two-TE Sets? - PDub80 - 07-11-2015, 10:25 PM