Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are We Moving Away From Two-TE Sets?
(07-17-2015, 04:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think you're reading that wrong.

I said that we probably took Kroft because he's ready to step-in and play right away without needing much development, which developing players has been a problem for us.

I know the Bengals had him a their #1 TE, but this was a weak class from top to bottom. What I know is that Kroft was basically a receiving TE ala Eifert at Rutgers until Ralph Friedgen showed up. Last year was basically his first year as an inline TE and he did okay, but nothing spectacular. He's still developing to be a blocker and we now have Hayes trying to do that after he pretty much failed with every other TE we've given him (Eifert is still an unknown).

This is from his CBS write up:

Quote:
STRENGTHS:
Natural receiver (HS position) who catches the ball cleanly. Good hands. Top concentration in traffic. Knack for finding the soft spot in coverage. Deceptively quick. Versatility - played all around the formation. Good release. More athletic and gifted physically than his tape reveals. Occasional pop as a blocker. Not dominant but gives good effort working inline. Good size and potential.

WEAKNESSES: Steep production decline from sophomore to junior season will be vetted by scouts, despite inconsistent quarterback play. Was not used much in the passing game last season. Thinks like a receiver and must develop his base. Gets narrow as a blocker. Struggles sustaining blocks at the point. Combine and workout results are critical to proving scouts he has the quickness and capacity to develop strength.

This is why I don't have high hopes for Kroft in his rookie year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are We Moving Away From Two-TE Sets? - Bengal Dude - 07-17-2015, 05:11 PM