Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The regression of Jessie Bates

Only 1 PD and 1 INT in the 7 games he’s played.

A bit of a step back would be one thing, but he’s been flat out bad in a lot of these games. It will be very interesting to see how the team handles his contract negotiations if this continues. I’m a big fan of the guy, and I honestly have no idea what’s going on with him, but I hope he turns it on in the 2nd half of the season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 07:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

A bit of a step back would be one thing, but he’s been flat out bad in a lot of these games. It will be very interesting to see how the team handles his contract negotiations if this continues. I’m a big fan of the guy, and I honestly have no idea what’s going on with him, but I hope he turns it on in the 2nd half of the season.

That sucks. Hope he finds his groove. He did have the interception yesterday with a nice return so that's a step in the right direction. But yeah, if he wants big money, he's gonna have to accelerate his game.

Reply/Quote

I never thought of him as an "Elite level Safety" like alot of people on here do; but I do like the guy for many reasons.
I really hope he turns it up a notch in home stretch to make the team really consider his next offer. 
Reply/Quote
FFS, even the talking heads on Sirius call Bates/Bell the top safety tandem in the league. I've never seen a place where a lose seems to kill brain cells. PFF can kiss it.
Reply/Quote
He will turn it around pretty damn sure. Didn't expect this especially with better play in front of him.
Reply/Quote
It's a contract year and he will be fine when its all said and done imo.

If not, MB will look like a genius for waiting.

yet think Bates will turn the table back around.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 07:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: FFS, even the talking heads on Sirius call Bates/Bell the top safety tandem in the league. I've never seen a place where a lose seems to kill brain cells. PFF can kiss it.

It’s not just PFF. He only has 1 pass defended through 7 games. Compare that to last year where he had 15. There’s obviously some significant regression there.

I don’t appreciate the pissy, homer routine. Not every thread is going to be positive (and I’ve started plenty of those). I’m genuinely curious what’s going on with him. You should also probably learn how to spell if you’re going to attack other posters brain cells…

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 07:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not just PFF. He only has 1 pass defended through 7 games. Compare that to last year where he had 15. There’s obviously some significant regression there.

I don’t appreciate the pissy, homer routine. Not every thread is going to be positive (and I’ve started plenty of those). I’m genuinely curious what’s going on with him. You should also probably learn how to spell if you’re going to attack other posters brain cells…

How many passes have been thrown at him? And i know how to spell, it's called a typo. Tongue
*poster's
Reply/Quote
There’s a reason we’ve only seen a handful of deep pass completed on this defense all year. You don’t see Jessie Bates on the screen because he is doing his part not allowing anything over the top. I do think he needs to make more splash plays, but sometimes they come at the price of giving up a few more passes.

Either way, he didn’t play too well yesterday and agree he needs to up his game if he wants that elite contract.
Reply/Quote
Is Jesse Bates the best Safety on this team?

I'm not sure
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Could is lack of PD’s be related to the fact our DL is getting more pressure? Less balls getting downfield? Just a thought.
Reply/Quote
I wonder how poorly he'd play if it wasn't for a contract.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 07:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is Jesse Bates the best Safety on this team?

I'm not sure

This season? Absolutely not. Vonn Bell has been excellent.

Reply/Quote

Tiger

Just dive for the score next time Jessie!
He's playing solid football but don't count the 2x All Pro out. At least I think he's been robbed the last two.
Reply/Quote
Only thing I’m worried about are the missed tackles. Coverage grades are one of those things that are tough with safeties because the graders sometimes get tricked into who’s job something is by Cb’s looking around with their hands up. His passes defended are down because very few teams attack us down the middle of the field so he doesn’t find himself as the primary defender on much.

All in all he’s not the do it all safety this year I think in part because he hasn’t had to be. With more pressure teams have less time to take deep shots where he can shine. I’m not worried about it, hopefully it’ll help us get the deal done a bit easier. He’s still getting paid like a top 10 safety either way.
Reply/Quote
Maybe he's still hurt. Back/neck injuries are tricky.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
He'll be fine; the dude is a stud.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 08:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: Only thing I’m worried about are the missed tackles. Coverage grades are one of those things that are tough with safeties because the graders sometimes get tricked into who’s job something is by Cb’s looking around with their hands up.  His passes defended are down because very few teams attack us down the middle of the field so he doesn’t find himself as the primary defender on much.

All in all he’s not the do it all safety this year I think in part because he hasn’t had to be. With more pressure teams have less time to take deep shots where he can shine. I’m not worried about it, hopefully it’ll help us get the deal done a bit easier. He’s still getting paid like a top 10 safety either way.

I haven't noticed him chasing too many WRs around after the catch and i've seen him hitting the shit out of a bunch of guys this year. 

Here we are with another 'context is more important than bottom line numbers'. Up until the last couple weeks, Bell and Bates were both top 10 graded safeties. I'm not really too worried about him right now.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 07:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not just PFF. He only has 1 pass defended through 7 games. Compare that to last year where he had 15. There’s obviously some significant regression there.

I think that has something to do with the front 4 actually being able to get pressure on the opposing QB’s this season
Reply/Quote
Yeah I was worried the "best safety in the league" talk was premature, and at this rate I'm glad we didn't overpay. Another good call by a FO that has been knocking everything out of the park lately.

I think Bates settles in as a "plus" safety, but not the top guy many thought he was. Hopefully he lowers his asking price accordingly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote