Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin McNamara - (Punter) Texas Tech

Sure hope this kid works out and we’ve seen the last of Brad Robbins.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Bet he wins.... just saw on twitter that he connected on a 87 yarder
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Good pickup. Hope he wins the job.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
So, did we sign him as an UDFA or is this just a random twitter post?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:28 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: So, did we sign him as an UDFA or is this just a random twitter post?

Signed. LOL

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:28 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: So, did we sign him as an UDFA or is this just a random twitter post?

assumed to have signed...nothing is official until the team announces.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Played 5 years, still a year younger than the Falcon's 2-3 year backup top-10 pick QB. Lol

Jokes aside, hopefully this means we won't ever have to see Robbins in a Bengals uniform anymore starting Week 1.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:20 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Bet he wins.... just saw on twitter that he connected on a 87 yarder

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Played 5 years, still a year younger than the Falcon's 2-3 year backup top-10 pick QB. Lol

Jokes aside, hopefully this means we won't ever have to see Robbins in a Bengals uniform anymore starting Week 1.

Preach! That mustache guy was a complete disaster. 
Reply/Quote
Might be the best Punter that was in this Draft. Granted McNamara got help from the wind on his 87 yarder but this guy could
be the answer that Robbins sure doesn't look like. McNamara has the bigger leg and that isn't saying much from what Robbins
shown as a rookie even if Huber had a poor rookie year himself and is our best Punter of all time.
Reply/Quote
Why do fans quit on any rookie?

I have this punter does great, but I have no skin in the game so if Robbins beats him out, I will be happy for Robbins.

Our board always seems to need a couple of whipping boys. I root for every Bengal player to have success.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why do fans quit on any rookie?

I have this punter does great, but I have no skin in the game so if Robbins beats him out, I will be happy for Robbins.

Our board always seems to need a couple of whipping boys. I root for every Bengal player to have success.

Well when your horrible punting losses us a game VS our biggest rival ppl are gonna remember it

I do agree but i remember Pat Mcfee saying hang time is pretty much
Genetic. If you don’t have hang time you sure as shit better be able to Angle that shit to the sideline and Robbin’s struggled

I’d put money this kid beats him out
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Might be the best Punter that was in this Draft. Granted McNamara got help from the wind on his 87 yarder but this guy could
be the answer that Robbins sure doesn't look like. McNamara has the bigger leg and that isn't saying much from what Robbins
shown as a rookie even if Huber had a poor rookie year himself and is our best Punter of all time.

I'm going with the Ray Guy award winner and unanimous All-American for that honor.

Maybe being the second best isn't all that shabby though.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm going with the Ray Guy award winner and unanimous All-American for that honor.

We know those awards are popularity contests and teams run offenses do differently so many variables
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm going with the Ray Guy award winner and unanimous All-American for that honor.

Doesn't matter to me, Robbins was supposed to be great at Michigan and he sucked for us.

Hope it is the other way around with McNamara and I didn't have Tory Taylor as any better when watching both and the Bears took 
Taylor with their last pick in the 4th round because they NEEDED a Punter. McNamara is a damn good Punter from what the college 
film says. I don't cry over picks drafted or as UDFA's, it is a crapshoot.
Reply/Quote
"Ended his five-year career as Texas Tech’s punter with a 45.91 average, the highest in Texas Tech and Big 12 Conference history. His average ranked 10th in NCAA FBS history among punters with at least 150 career punts"

Okay, what am I missing here? I went to the 2023 stats for punting (below), and a 45.9 average would put him 27th in the league. Admittedly, Brad Robbins was 30th with a 44.3 average, but McNamara would still be near the bottom of the league if he hit his average. The Bengals can't find someone league average? The Iowa punter had a 48.2 average last year, which would put him 12th.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 09:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Sure hope this kid works out and we’ve seen the last of Brad Robbins.

Dude looks like a serial killer. Hope he can murder some hangtime and distance.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:54 PM)Nepa Wrote: "Ended his five-year career as Texas Tech’s punter with a 45.91 average, the highest in Texas Tech and Big 12 Conference history. His average ranked 10th in NCAA FBS history among punters with at least 150 career punts"

Okay, what am I missing here? I went to the 2023 stats for punting (below), and a 45.9 average would put him 27th in the league. Admittedly, Brad Robbins was 30th with a 44.3 average, but McNamara would still be near the bottom of the league if he hit his average. The Bengals can't find someone league average? The Iowa punter had a 48.2 average last year, which would put him 12th.

We would need to watch the circumstances of said Punts...

Like when Chrisman Punted in the AFC Championship vs the Chiefs and damn near lost the game for us because he used no 
hang time at all and put it right in the Returner's hands before our Gunners could even set up. You just cannot do this.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:40 PM)Housh Wrote: We know those awards are popularity contests and teams run offenses do differently so many variables

He is also the NCAA all-time record holder for career punting avg (46.3) and had 32 punts inside the 20 and at least 7 punts of 60+ yards last year alone.

(04-27-2024, 10:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't matter to me, Robbins was supposed to be great at Michigan and he sucked for us.

Was he? Dude wasn't even on the Big 10 team or anything in 5 years there. Just a Big 10 "honorable mention".

He was pretty widely regarded as a guy without great leg strength and couldn't flip the field. The Bengals just seemingly had this weird notion that they wouldn't need a punter on their side of the field all year. He only had 42.3 yards per punt (67th that year) in his final year and all anyone talked about was hangtime, not actually being able to punt the ball far or quickly. Even net he was only 36th in NCAA in 2022.

I'm not upset with the McNamara signing. We needed a punter that wasn't named Robbins. I just thought it was strange how just because the guy signed with the Bengals he magically became the best punter in the draft over the guy who was selected as the nation's best college punter last year.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 10:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why do fans quit on any rookie?

Did you watch the games? Robbins was awful. Stats back it up.

This is a great signing to bring competition to the position.
Reply/Quote