Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 4.39 Average
Ask Jim Owczarski
Bengals beat writer, Jim Owczarski (The Enquirer & Cincinnati.com) has agreed to do a thread, in which members can post questions for him to answer.

Jim is a very busy guy, so he may not be able to answer each and every question posed to him. So, make sure your questions are good ones.

Also, absolutely no trolling or disrespectful comments will be tolerated. They will be deleted. Jim is nice enough to do this for the board, so let's make this thread a good, respectful and informative one!
Reply/Quote
Do the Bengals go with 2 or 3 QBs this year?

Sent from my samsung SPH-L710T Using Ez Forum for Android
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 05:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Do the Bengals go with 2 or 3 QBs this year?

Sent from my samsung SPH-L710T Using Ez Forum for Android

How do the rookies look?  Anything about any of the rookies.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Has Fisher, so far, been used elsewhere besides at OT and if not, do you get the sense we could be looking to do so?
Reply/Quote
I have a couple questions, so if you like, you can keep the answers brief to save time.

1. Will Paul Dawson and AJ Hawk be starting? If so, at which positions?

2. Is Tom Obarski really a threat to Nugent? He only hit 69.8% of his kicks in college. A percentage like that would get an NFL kicker fired.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
How is Darquez Dennard doing this season? Is it possible that he and Dre Kirkpatrick start for us this year?
Reply/Quote
Big Grin 
Jim, i know you have only seen the bengals in OTAs. How would you rate the bengals roster compared to the packers? Obviously QB goes to green bay.
Reply/Quote
My question has to do with the defense.  I'm really feeling confident that with bringing Michael Johnson back, and Geno Atkins seeming to feel like his old self, that the DL will return to the fearsome group that they were, prior to Geno's injury.  As well with the secondary, from what I have been reading Leon Hall seems to be "feeling it" again, Dre Kirkpatrick ready to break out, and Iloka emerging as a budding star in the league, opposing QBs will be paying for any mistakes they should make.

So, my question is with the LB group.  I love the addition of PJ Dawson in the draft, and am comfortable with the acquisition of AJ Hawk as a quality veteran back up.  Do you feel like that is enough to solidify the position group for the upcoming season?  Personally, I'm a bit concerned, as Burfict will still be rehabbing deep into the season, Maualuga plays his heart out, but tends to get dinged up.  Vincent Rey is a good player, high football IQ, but from what I've seen, he just does not have the "hamhocks" to stuff the middle for any extended time.  A couple years back, I had really high hopes that Emmanuel Lamur was going to develop into a dynamic pass coverage ace that we have been looking for.  Again, when faced with extended playing time, he was abused by opposing offensive coordinators.

Every season, as camp winds down, and cuts come to reality, it seems that plenty of household names around the league suddenly find themselves out of work.  I could see the Bengals being able to pick up a strong veteran presence to solidify the LB corps, with the addition of one of those camp casualties.  Do you see that as a possibility, or am I just dreaming?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
How is the Wilder transition going outside of front page fluff(bengals.com)? How is kroft doing as well and is he looking like a pro or a project?
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
How is McCarron looking? Any chance he develops into starter quality be it here or somewhere else?
Reply/Quote
How is Vontaze Burfict's rehab going? Has anyone in the media had a chance to talk with him? Any ideas on who gets the next contract extension?
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 05:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Bengals beat writer, Jim Owczarski (The Enquirer & Cincinnati.com) has agreed to do a thread, in which members can post questions for him to answer.

Jim is a very busy guy, so he will not be able to answer each and every question posed to him. So, make sure your questions are good ones.

Also, absolutely no trolling or disrespectful comments will be tolerated. They will be deleted. Jim is nice enough to do this for the board, so let's make this thread a good, respectful and informative one!

Thanks! I'll definitely do what I can - which will be easier to do during this last stretch of the offseason. Looking forward to it! 
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Good start!
I'll hit what's here in one shot, as some of these dovetail into others

As of today, I'm pretty sure they'll go with two, mainly due to past history and because Pryor hasn't really done much in OTAs (he's gotten so few snaps, which isn't a good sign) that it's hard to believe they'd take up a roster spot on him. Now, if McCarron totally flames out in the preseason, that might change things - and let's be honest - we don't know what kind of pro he'll be.

Speaking of McCarron, he has looked good. He was my "one positive" of the OTA. Considering where he was a year ago - being unable to participate at all - it's already a win. He has been picked a few times - Reggie Nelson and Dennard have gotten him - but for the most part he's spun it pretty good and been pretty accurate. The fact that he's gotten nearly every backup rep also says a lot. It's honestly impossible to project him beyond being the backup in 2015.

How do the rookies look? Anything about any of the rookies.
Ogbuehi is out, rehabbing but working hard. Fisher has been impressive - the team said they'd move him around and they have. Coaches and Whit have loved it. Kroft and Uzomah have shown the physical traits we heard about, but you also see the rawness - for instance an individual drill had to be re-done because Kroft stumbled out of the three point stance. This is new for both of them, really. Eifert is important, because they have a ways to go. We've seen the speed with Alford - that is definitely real - but he's been having a hard time catching the ball the right way, meaning it's not always a clean catch, even if he does hold on to it...and no one is hitting him, so those are probably drops on contact.
Dawson and Hardison are nearly impossible to evaluate because there is no contact - it's all technique and learning the schemes, to be honest.

But as far as Fisher goes, he's another "OTA positive" for me. He really has picked things up quickly, both inside and outside, and they even had him running routes as a tackle eligible receiver and caught a ball over the middle and another in the flat. Even TJ Houshmandzadeh had to note it.

Barring injury, I don't see how Dre Kirkpatrick isn't the "starter" opposite Adam Jones in Week 1 - but I could also see Dennard "starting" in nickel, because let's be real, nickels are basically starters in this league. Hall isn't an "odd man out" necessarily, but someone is going to see their snaps reduced as the two young first rounders establish themselves. Both Dennard and Kirkpatrick have looked really sharp. Unlike linemen and linebackers, we can make some judgments on DBs and WRs, and they have looked really good.

Honestly, I have no frame of reference for Obarski. Usually they kick inside PBS, or off on the other field when we're watching team drills.

Like the LBs, the same goes for Wilder. They hand the ball off, run patterns out of the backfield, but there is no contact, so it's really hard to determine anything with even the running backs...

Re: starters at linebackers, I don't think they know just yet. Because of the injuries last year this session has been about rotating combinations and getting everyone familiar with one another - and at different spots. So every healthy linebacker has played all three positions. With Burfict & Porter out and Rey Maualuga working on the side, that left Hawk/Dawson/Lamur/Rey/Flowers working together. Honestly, they wouldn't want either to "start" - Dawson just for being so young, Hawk for being older. If I had to pick today, it would be Lamur/Rey/Maualuga. Hawk could easily play all three spots, Dawson more at the weakside spot to take advantage of his instincts and playmaking. But watch for Flowers...

Without a healthy Burfict, a Pro Bowl player, this unit obviously isn't as strong as it could be. But as for finding that cap casualty, that veteran with enough left in the tank to maybe slide right in -- that's a tough one to predict. You never say never, but the way I look at those type moves, I mean - why is the guy cut to begin with? There's usually a reason. And if it's a true cap hit, and not about talent, then odds are another team will throw more money at him. It's not about the Bengals being "cheap" - it's more that they feel they have the guys that can take a step forward.

Great observation about the d-line. Football is the ultimate team game - if one area falters, the whole thing looks awful. So if they generate more of a pass rush up front, then those LBs aren't being asked to cover as long. If that d-line can fill gaps, or make a back stutter, your LB can stay disciplined and hit the hole and make a play. Obviously great, great players can make up for the mistakes of others, but I think this Bengals defense is meant to work as one, strong unit. You're right - they need Atkins to be Atkins, and Johnson to be the guy that Tampa gave all that money to.

As for Burfict - no idea in that he hasn't talked to us. But, the team has been pretty straightforward, I think, with the plan. It's a long rehab process after a complicated surgery. I honestly think the determination will be made in the middle of the preseason regarding PUP, but I do think he'll play. When? I don't think we can even begin to guess until that roster decision is made.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 06:29 PM)maanster Wrote: Jim, i know you have only seen the bengals in OTAs. How would you rate the bengals roster compared to the packers? Obviously QB goes to green bay.

Thought I'd do this one separate. 
Honestly, they approach things from a front office perspective very similarly in that they like homegrown talent, and want to mine the UDFA pool for a hidden gem - and aren't afraid to add that guy out of camp. The biggest difference, to me, is the Packers have less patience with development. You better show and prove above and beyond the new guys, or they'll cut you. They don't suffer injuries. They'll cut you. Same goes with established veterans. There's a reason Donald Driver retired, why Greg Jennings and James Jones and Tramon Williams and Davon House walked. They'll be loyal, but only to a point, and then you're done.

Offensively, because of Rodgers, the Packers look for more polished and dynamic pass catchers, IMO. Now, the learning curve of the offense may be steeper and Adams struggled with that at times last year, but you couldn't deny his talent. Same with Jeff Janis. I don't think they'd let the back end of the pass catching corps be left to a Brandon Tate or Denarius Moore. Finley and Richard Rodgers were third rounders at tight end. There may have been questions about them, but not when it came to catching the ball. 

The Packers have finally figured out drafting and developing o-linemen, but I think it took awhile, and it seems like the Bengals have had that down of late. 

Defense is interesting. They both like to play man on the outside, but aren't too caught up in a standard body type. They both also like having playmaking safeties that aren't just heavy hitters. 

The schemes up front are so different that it's really hard to compare because in the 3-4, the Packers sometimes put five on the line, or six, or had a lineman. They ask different things of the players, so they look for different players. I don't think the Bengals necessarily need 15 sacks from a linebacker like the Packers do. But the Bengals need 10.5 from a d-end, which the Packers don't. 

It seems like consistency is the key on special teams. The groups for both teams seem to be have been around forever. 

And yes, Aaron Rodgers is ridiculous. It was a pleasure to see him play up close. 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 01:45 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Good start!
I'll hit what's here in one shot, as some of these dovetail into others

As of today, I'm pretty sure they'll go with two, mainly due to past history and because Pryor hasn't really done much in OTAs (he's gotten so few snaps, which isn't a good sign) that it's hard to believe they'd take up a roster spot on him. Now, if McCarron totally flames out in the preseason, that might change things - and let's be honest - we don't know what kind of pro he'll be.

Speaking of McCarron, he has looked good. He was my "one positive" of the OTA. Considering where he was a year ago - being unable to participate at all - it's already a win. He has been picked a few times - Reggie Nelson and Dennard have gotten him - but for the most part he's spun it pretty good and been pretty accurate. The fact that he's gotten nearly every backup rep also says a lot. It's honestly impossible to project him beyond being the backup in 2015.

How do the rookies look?  Anything about any of the rookies.
Ogbuehi is out, rehabbing but working hard. Fisher has been impressive - the team said they'd move him around and they have. Coaches and Whit have loved it. Kroft and Uzomah have shown the physical traits we heard about, but you also see the rawness - for instance an individual drill had to be re-done because Kroft stumbled out of the three point stance. This is new for both of them, really. Eifert is important, because they have a ways to go. We've seen the speed with Alford - that is definitely real - but he's been having a hard time catching the ball the right way, meaning it's not always a clean catch, even if he does hold on to it...and no one is hitting him, so those are probably drops on contact.
Dawson and Hardison are nearly impossible to evaluate because there is no contact - it's all technique and learning the schemes, to be honest.

But as far as Fisher goes, he's another "OTA positive" for me. He really has picked things up quickly, both inside and outside, and they even had him running routes as a tackle eligible receiver and caught a ball over the middle and another in the flat. Even TJ Houshmandzadeh had to note it.

Barring injury, I don't see how Dre Kirkpatrick isn't the "starter" opposite Adam Jones in Week 1 - but I could also see Dennard "starting" in nickel, because let's be real, nickels are basically starters in this league. Hall isn't an "odd man out" necessarily, but someone is going to see their snaps reduced as the two young first rounders establish themselves. Both Dennard and Kirkpatrick have looked really sharp. Unlike linemen and linebackers, we can make some judgments on DBs and WRs, and they have looked really good.

Honestly, I have no frame of reference for Obarski. Usually they kick inside PBS, or off on the other field when we're watching team drills.

Like the LBs, the same goes for Wilder. They hand the ball off, run patterns out of the backfield, but there is no contact, so it's really hard to determine anything with even the running backs...

Re: starters at linebackers, I don't think they know just yet. Because of the injuries last year this session has been about rotating combinations and getting everyone familiar with one another - and at different spots. So every healthy linebacker has played all three positions. With Burfict & Porter out and Rey Maualuga working on the side, that left Hawk/Dawson/Lamur/Rey/Flowers working together. Honestly, they wouldn't want either to "start" - Dawson just for being so young, Hawk for being older. If I had to pick today, it would be Lamur/Rey/Maualuga. Hawk could easily play all three spots, Dawson more at the weakside spot to take advantage of his instincts and playmaking. But watch for Flowers...

Without a healthy Burfict, a Pro Bowl player, this unit obviously isn't as strong as it could be. But as for finding that cap casualty, that veteran with enough left in the tank to maybe slide right in -- that's a tough one to predict. You never say never, but the way I look at those type moves, I mean - why is the guy cut to begin with? There's usually a reason. And if it's a true cap hit, and not about talent, then odds are another team will throw more money at him. It's not about the Bengals being "cheap" - it's more that they feel they have the guys that can take a step forward.

Great observation about the d-line. Football is the ultimate team game - if one area falters, the whole thing looks awful. So if they generate more of a pass rush up front, then those LBs aren't being asked to cover as long. If that d-line can fill gaps, or make a back stutter, your LB can stay disciplined and hit the hole and make a play. Obviously great, great players can make up for the mistakes of others, but I think this Bengals defense is meant to work as one, strong unit. You're right - they need Atkins to be Atkins, and Johnson to be the guy that Tampa gave all that money to.

As for Burfict - no idea in that he hasn't talked to us. But, the team has been pretty straightforward, I think, with the plan. It's a long rehab process after a complicated surgery. I honestly think the determination will be made in the middle of the preseason regarding PUP, but I do think he'll play. When? I don't think we can even begin to guess until that roster decision is made.

That's a lot of info. Thanks for taking the time to post it for all of us football-starved fans. ThumbsUp

I know you said it was hard to really determine anything with the running backs in this setting, but do you get any kind of sense the Bengals may be ready to move away from Peerman for someone younger with more possible "upside"? Or do they value his ST abilities too much to part with him?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Two questions, mainly.

Which player seems to be most improved thus far? Besides the obvious ones that were injured and coming back from injury.

And #2. Where do you see them lining up Shaw and Hardison?
Reply/Quote
This was awesome, big thanks Jim for this, your thoughts really add value to this new board.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 02:09 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Thought I'd do this one separate. 
Honestly, they approach things from a front office perspective very similarly in that they like homegrown talent, and want to mine the UDFA pool for a hidden gem - and aren't afraid to add that guy out of camp. The biggest difference, to me, is the Packers have less patience with development. You better show and prove above and beyond the new guys, or they'll cut you. They don't suffer injuries. They'll cut you. Same goes with established veterans. There's a reason Donald Driver retired, why Greg Jennings and James Jones and Tramon Williams and Davon House walked. They'll be loyal, but only to a point, and then you're done.

Offensively, because of Rodgers, the Packers look for more polished and dynamic pass catchers, IMO. Now, the learning curve of the offense may be steeper and Adams struggled with that at times last year, but you couldn't deny his talent. Same with Jeff Janis. I don't think they'd let the back end of the pass catching corps be left to a Brandon Tate or Denarius Moore. Finley and Richard Rodgers were third rounders at tight end. There may have been questions about them, but not when it came to catching the ball. 

The Packers have finally figured out drafting and developing o-linemen, but I think it took awhile, and it seems like the Bengals have had that down of late. 

Defense is interesting. They both like to play man on the outside, but aren't too caught up in a standard body type. They both also like having playmaking safeties that aren't just heavy hitters. 

The schemes up front are so different that it's really hard to compare because in the 3-4, the Packers sometimes put five on the line, or six, or had a lineman. They ask different things of the players, so they look for different players. I don't think the Bengals necessarily need 15 sacks from a linebacker like the Packers do. But the Bengals need 10.5 from a d-end, which the Packers don't. 

It seems like consistency is the key on special teams. The groups for both teams seem to be have been around forever. 

And yes, Aaron Rodgers is ridiculous. It was a pleasure to see him play up close. 
thanks for the reply....love the podcast...you and paul need to decide on a name for it!!
Reply/Quote
How has Tyler Eifert looked. Sure looks like they are banking on him remaining healthy this year. Something he hasn't done so far.
Reply/Quote
First and foremost, thank you for your feedback and insights.

My question deals with Andy Dalton. I have seen him throw balls at games that give me the "wow" factor. IMHO, he does not have a "weak" arm at all. His velocity coming out of the combine was the same as Kaepernick's. I just wonder if I am the only one that sees his arm strength as a positive and not a negative, especially when you combine that with his quick release.

How would you describe his arm strength?
Reply/Quote