Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Additional rate hike could be needed if inflation stays high
(04-06-2024, 11:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This POV wears me out. Corporations pay their taxes. They also donate a lot of money. They are a business. Their goal is to make money. They pay people to know the tax code and take advantage of every benefit allowed. Why do some people think this is bad? We all do it. Their job is to make money and provide jobs to people so they can make a living. Otherwise, they wouldn't be in it and then people would be bitching because there are no jobs.

This is not a jab at you so please don't take it that way. But I feel a lot of people just view companies as an endless source of cash. Reminds me of being a kid and my dad not having money to buy me something so I say, "Write a check!" It's a horrible way to live, always expecting someone else to pay. Pay for my college, pay for my groceries, pay for my kids, pay, pay, pay. As for my dad, he told me to go mow a lawn. 

IMO, every time we attack corporations, jobs are lost, prices increase, and more pressure is put on the government to take care of the unemployed. 

Dude. I was an insurance salesman at one time in my youth. I believed in what I was doing and my clients liked me because I told the truth. I didn't push products on people and try to get them to buy things they couldn't afford. I know the pressure some companies put on you to sell. Sometimes, it felt unethical and I refused to participate. I know how you felt. I only lasted a year, but I'm happy to say I walked away with a clear conscience. 

My wife hates car salesmen. So much so, that she won't let me pull into a car lot because she says as soon as you do, the salesmen come out like cockroaches trying to force a sale. I laughed the first time she said it. Then I pulled into a car lot and realized, that girl was right. She doesn't hesitate to remind me either whenever I mention going to a lot. HAHA.

Only the first half of that sentence is true.  The role of the corporation is to make as much money as possible for the owners and stockholders of said company. That is why so many push so hard for deregulation because being forced to do things the right way can cost them money.  If they could do it without expenditures for salaries they would.  GOOD corporations willingly take care of the employees but the reality is that unions and labor laws exist because far too many corporations abuse and exploit their workforce if given a chance

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 12:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You didn't directly, but I can see how Harley would believe you inferred it.  Especially when you followed it up with this.

Still not seeing it?  It certainly wouldn't shock me.

Also, are you now stating there is a difference between being a Trump defender and a Trump supporter?  

So I didn't say it.  

I'm sure someone will be along to say they were wrong and simply being partisan.  Any time now.

And my response was to educate that Trump HAD talked about it but I never said, or implied or inferred that Trump (or Obama or Biden) had had control over it.

Never said there wasn't a difference.  Maybe y'all thought I "inferred" it?  Maybe y'all just say it and think it will be true if you say it enough?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 12:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: So I didn't say it.  

I'm sure someone will be along to say they were wrong and simply being partisan.  Any time now.

And my response was to educate that Trump HAD talked about it but I never said, or implied or inferred that Trump (or Obama or Biden) had had control over it.

Never said there wasn't a difference.  Maybe y'all thought I "inferred" it?  Maybe y'all just say it and think it will be true if you say it enough?

I truly love the mental knots you tie yourself into.  You truly don't see how Harley could have inferred that meaning from you?  I'm not asking if you meant what he believed, I am asking if you can understand why he believed it?

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 12:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I truly love the mental knots you tie yourself into.  You truly don't see how Harley could have inferred that meaning from you?  I'm not asking if you meant what he believed, I am asking if you can understand why he believed it?

No, no I can't as I never mentioned Trump in any of my responses until HE said I was "blaming Trump".

It was a "Dino posted!!11!!!1!! Must be about Trump!!11!!11!!" knee-jerk response to defend him.  Simple.

And *I'M* the one tying myself into mental knots?  When YOU guys keep trying to find a way to say I said, implied INFERRED something?

Just go back to talking about interest rates instead.  For the good of the board.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 01:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: No, no I can't as I never mentioned Trump in any of my responses until HE said I was "blaming Trump".

It was a "Dino posted!!11!!!1!! Must be about Trump!!11!!11!!" knee-jerk response to defend him.  Simple.

And *I'M* the one tying myself into mental knots?  When YOU guys keep trying to find a way to say I said, implied INFERRED something?

Just go back to talking about interest rates instead.  For the good of the board.  Mellow

A simple solution would have been to state you were not implying Trump had anything to do with it.  Instead you responded by pointing out that Trump wanted them even lower than what you were already complaining about.  Even in this post you keep labeling him a Trump defender.  Seems to me like you're the one keeping the Trump topic alive and well in this thread.

I've already stated my opinion on this topic, but in accordance with your wishes I will state that I got a sweet 3.2% rate for my mortgage.  Behold ye common folk, my mighty interest rate.  Behold and despair!

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 09:09 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If we keep having blowout jobs reports, which we did today,

I was wondering if I’d see this comment. If you get past the headline, that “blowout jobs report” was almost entirely part time job gains while full time jobs dropped

That is data deception at its finest.

Quote: Gains tilted heavily to part-time workers in the household survey. Full-time workers fell by 6,000, while part-timers increased by 691,000. Multiple job holders rose by 217,000, to 5.2% of the total employment level.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/04/05/job-growth-totaled-303000-in-march-better-than-expected-and-unemployment-was-3point8percent.html

The devil is always in the details.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 02:36 PM)basballguy Wrote: I was wondering if I’d see this comment.  If you get past the headline, that “blowout jobs report” was almost entirely part time job gains while full time jobs dropped

That is data deception at its finest.  

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/04/05/job-growth-totaled-303000-in-march-better-than-expected-and-unemployment-was-3point8percent.html

The devil is always in the details.

"Nonfarm payrolls increased 303,000 for the month, well above the Dow Jones estimate for a rise of 200,000 and higher than the downwardly revised 270,000 gain in February, the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday."

They are providing numbers from two different sources in that article that makes it a little confusing.

Either way. When they estimate 200,000 in monthly job gains and get over 300,000 I think it's fair to call it a blowout. The conversation over the last couple years has gone from out of control inflation, to way too fast interest rate hikes, to a recession is a certainty, to it looks like a soft landing, to interest rate cuts are coming but we can't do it too early or it will be inflation rocket fuel, to maybe we need to keep raising rates because we keep seeing all these jobs and inflation hasn't cooled enough. I think it shows a strong resilient economy. Some would call it the best in the world.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2024, 03:47 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: "Nonfarm payrolls increased 303,000 for the month, well above the Dow Jones estimate for a rise of 200,000 and higher than the downwardly revised 270,000 gain in February, the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday."

They are providing numbers from two different sources in that article that makes it a little confusing.

Either way. When they estimate 200,000 in monthly job gains and get over 300,000 I think it's fair to call it a blowout. The conversation over the last couple years has gone from out of control inflation, to way too fast interest rate hikes, to a recession is a certainty, to it looks like a soft landing, to interest rate cuts are coming but we can't do it too early or it will be inflation rocket fuel, to maybe we need to keep raising rates because we keep seeing all these jobs and inflation hasn't cooled enough. I think it shows a strong resilient economy. Some would call it the best in the world.

OFC it's the best atm, Why do you think there is record numbers of Chinese at the Southern Border trying to get in?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote