Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Add Scout - Hire Trey Brown
(06-16-2021, 01:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Called it.... Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Is he a relative or is it a coincidence?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 09:10 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Why add those 4-6 scouts when you have money coming in from the NFL TV contracts and you're gonna make your money whether you're competitive or not.  

Personally, I believe for the last 30 years Mike has run this franchise like it's his personal business.  He wants to make money more than he wanted to win championships.  He's been known as the bad guy in Cincy for quite awhile, do you really think he cares what the citizens of the greater Cincy area think of him?  

I think we're starting to see changes because honestly i don't think Katie wants to be known as the cheap ass of Cincinnati.  I feel like she wants to win and be competitive.  

In relation to what you said last as far as taking a load off the coaching staff,  I believe i read recently Zac come out and basically say that our coaching staff is required to do a lot more than your typical coaching staff.   

Hopefully, more and more changes continue to come and who knows maybe we'll see a winning season for the first time since 2015 this season.  I'm going with probably not and 6-11 but I continue to have hope.  

Agree about the money coming in from TV contracts, so there's no point to hire scouts to even attempt to be competitive, even though he'd make more money, but I also think it's more about Mike being arrogant and bullheaded and thinking that he's smarter than any scout could be.  Mixed in with the fact that he's a tight ass and that's why we've always had a small scouting department.

With Zac, I do believe that the coaches should be involved because they know the type of player that they want and what abilities they want them to have, but they should tell the scouts that, the scouts should do the brunt work, and then come back and tell the coaches what they found.

Shitty part about this is, with the internet now, everything can be found out about most prospects online, but it still does help to have more scouts to be able to search and also do any in-person scouting/interviews to get a better view.

I believe that Katie and Troy have said they'll hire a GM, so hopefully more scouts brings about a bunch of changes, like maybe even an indoor practice facility and better medical facilities/staff.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 01:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is he a relative or is it a coincidence?

He's referencing his INb4 "brown" post, and people pointing at the name and joking about relation.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 02:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's referencing his INb4 "brown" post, and people pointing at the name and joking about relation.

So he's not related to Mike Brown and the name is a coincidence?  If the guy is related to Mike Brown I'd say the scoffs are warranted. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 02:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So he's not related to Mike Brown and the name is a coincidence?  If the guy is related to Mike Brown I'd say the scoffs are warranted. 

He's not related and yes to the second part.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 02:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's referencing his INb4 "brown" post, and people pointing at the name and joking about relation.

I'm laughing at how predictable it is that people would point to the name and not even read the article before criticizing Brown for hiring another family member. 

Quote:Trey Brown spent the first day at his Paul Brown Stadium desk in the Bengals personnel department sitting with the clicker flicking through tape. Which is a slight difference than when he broke into the business some three decades ago hiding in the offices of his dad's Kansas City Chiefs.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 02:53 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's not related and yes to the second part.

Do we know that Mike Brown knows he isn't a relative?
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 02:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm laughing at how predictable it is that people would point to the name and not even read the article before criticizing Brown for hiring another family member. 

That's exactly what i said! Rant  Big Grin

(06-16-2021, 02:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do we know that Mike Brown knows he isn't a relative?

We don't know. Anyone got a 23andme handy?

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 02:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm laughing at how predictable it is that people would point to the name and not even read the article before criticizing Brown for hiring another family member. 

i read the article then asked the question cause.......  someone had to LoL as there is a ton of crapping on the franchise for being family run around here.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 03:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i read the article then asked the question cause.......  someone had to LoL as there is a ton of crapping on the franchise for being family run around here.

The fact that we are relieved and surprised the guy isn't a relative speaks volumes, though. 
Reply/Quote
Good news, need to hire more scouts. Would just like for us to have around the same amount as other teams is all.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good news, need to hire more scouts. Would just like for us to have around the same amount as other teams is all.

well they added a scout i think when Marvin first took over and now they added another 20 years later.  So you may have to wait until 2040 :) 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 05:45 PM)TJ528 Wrote: well they added a scout i think when Marvin first took over and now they added another 20 years later.  So you may have to wait until 2040 :) 

Dang it all lol
Reply/Quote

1. As predictable as the Brown family hiring Brown family members?

2. No one "criticized". I saw a couple of jokes and a couple questions. Both of which are justified by the history of this team...which has more family members in the front office than any other franchise.

I'd understand your frustration if the "criticism" and questions weren't valid.
_________

Stoked to see this move. Trey Brown (another Trey, lol) has scouted for solid organizations like the Eagles and Patriots, and even interviewed for GM openings with the Raiders and Bills. Sounds like he might be an eventual Tobin replacement.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I'm glad that the team decided to hire another scout. Hopefully, this is just a continuation of the changes from old ways that we have seen happening the past couple years. Scouting by video is great, and can save a lot of time and money when it comes to ruling out players not worthy of going to watch in person. However, if the prospect is legit, nothing can replace that in person experience of getting to know who that player is as a person, a teammate, as well as an athlete.

One additional scout is a small thing, but still a step in the right direction for this organization.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Any truth to the rumor floating around that his name is actually Trey Armstrong, and he was forced to change his last name?

I like this hire... Baby steps are still moving forward.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 03:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's exactly what i said! Rant  Big Grin

We don't know. Anyone got a 23andme handy?

I got a lot of things from 23andme, but that was not one of them Cool
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2021, 10:24 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I got a lot of things from 23andme, but that was not one of them Cool

That just means you didn't splurge for the upgraded package.  ThumbsUp

*that emoji was used very specifically...

Reply/Quote