Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Disney loses challenges to development oversight
Evidently Disney isn't more powerful that the Government of Florida?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/desantis-declares-we-have-been-vindicated-as-disney-concedes-defeat-in-long-running-legal-battle/ar-BB1kTMtN?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=c367a4e938f44c71a1cfb8f17caa8789&ei=37

Quote:Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and Disney have settled their dispute over development control in the state.

DeSantis pushed legislation in response to Disney opposing his parental rights in education bill, replacing the district overseeing Disney projects.

“Everything we’ve done has been in the best interests of the state of Florida, and we have been vindicated on all those actions,” DeSantis said.

“Going forward, we’re going to continue to govern with the best interests of the state of Florida,” he said.

Disney attempted to rush through development approvals, but a court sided with DeSantis that the state could provide oversight.

The settlement allows future projects using 2020 plans and state oversight, with DeSantis saying the state’s interests were upheld and a productive partnership is possible.

“I’m glad that they were able to do that settlement, those eleventh-hour covenants and restrictions were never gonna be valid, we knew that. The challenge to the state oversight board to replace Reedy Creek, that’s not going anywhere, obviously that was dismissed in district court,” DeSantis said.

“No corporation should be its own government,” Bryan Griffin, the communications director for the governor, stated.

“We have an interest as a state in moving forward to make this region very strong, this oversight, tourism oversight board in that district is a big part of that, and I think that there’s gonna be ways where we can do things that are in the best interests of the state of Florida and I think Disney can be a part of that,” DeSantis said.

“A year ago, people were trying to act like … all these legal maneuverings were all going to succeed against the state of Florida, and the reality is here we are a year later and not one of them has succeeded, every action that we’ve taken has been upheld in full, and the state’s better off for that,” he said.

Disney conceded last-minute deals it made were invalid and the new oversight board now has authority, according to legal experts.

While specifics remain unclear, the settlement ends the high-profile feud and allows both sides to move forward after courts consistently ruled in the state’s favor against Disney’s challenges.

“This agreement opens a new chapter of constructive engagement with the new leadership of the district and serves the interests of all parties by enabling significant continued investment and the creation of thousands of direct and indirect jobs and economic opportunity in the state,” Walt Disney World Resort president Jeff Vahle said.

“The question now is whether Disney and the board can reach agreements that are effective and workable on many issues going forward, and the devil will be in the details that are not yet clear,” University of Richmond School of Law professor Carl W. Tobias said.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
While I don't like the reprisal nature of what DeSantis did, at all, I think Disney was very stupid here. You have a sweetheart deal from the Florida government, why would you ever jeopardize that?

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 12:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: While I don't like the reprisal nature of what DeSantis did, at all, I think Disney was very stupid here.  You have a sweetheart deal from the Florida government, why would you ever jeopardize that?

I fought the Law and the Law won.

Got to big for their britches? It was a punk move that could have been handled way better but that's what happens when 2 extremists go at it trying to assert their Authority over the other. Disney probably thought they could "ride out" DeSantis. 

In the end though, Disney has waaaay more to lose than DeSantis did. 

I guess the Dems are now going to have to "save Democracy in FL" or it will succumb to a Totalitarian State!!

I'm just waiting for the day someone challenges churches with their tax exempt status.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 05:45 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm just waiting for the day someone challenges churches with their tax exempt status.

That needs to happen ASAP.
The Amish abuse the crap out of that around here. Most property is bought through the church for Amish families. It's made it easier for them to outbid most of the "English" and drive countryside property through the roof.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 12:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: While I don't like the reprisal nature of what DeSantis did, at all, I think Disney was very stupid here.  You have a sweetheart deal from the Florida government, why would you ever jeopardize that?

And they did it all for the "Don't say Gay" hoax.  Hope it was worth it for them.
Reply/Quote