Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Zac Taylor Bob Bratkowski 2.0
Okay I'm not trying to be super negative or anything. Just curious if anyone has thought about how Taylor seems to be of the same philosophy that Bratkowski was as in that to have real success it has to be all about the passing game and that the running game is only a side note. I believe Bratkowski was quoted as saying about the running game that it's hard to win with 3yds and a cloud of dust.

Do you think we'll have a focus on the running game this year with what looks like at least on paper one of the best WR trio's in the league?

Also I think it will be another interesting thing to watch week 1. Do we come out with a emphasis on the running game with QB possibly seeing his first live action after knee surgery? What's the over under on pass attempts 40?

Also I know it's been asked already but it was asked as "how good does Taylor have to be to keep" but I think with already having the built in excuse of Burrow coming off injury the question might be how bad does Taylor need to be before we show him the door? For me this team needs to be atleast .500 and more importantly I need to see at least an adjustment to the offense philosophy. The past 2 seasons we just hand the ball to the Quarterback and say okay be a top 5 QB in the league and we'll win games. We need a more balanced attack.
Reply/Quote
I think we haven't ran the ball due to our defense being terrible at times combined with bad O-line play. You have the games like the Cleveland one where Burrow is throwing a million times because the defense blows and where behind. I feel like Bratowski had a balanced attacked when they had Rudi Johnson and a good line. Bratkowski lacked creativity at times we all remember the old shovel pass on 3rd downs. Taylor makes me nervous because he never called plays before and he was only a QB coach with the Rams and has no proven track record. Taylor hasn't shown much creativity and I’ve seen some questionable play calling like running read options on 4th and 1 with Andy Dalton and other bad plays. I feel like Burrow is so good he'll make the coaching look way better then it is.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 01:05 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I think we haven't ran the ball due to our defense being terrible at times combined with bad O-line play. You have the games like the Cleveland one where Burrow is throwing a million times because the defense blows and where behind.  I feel like Bratowski had a balanced attacked when they had Rudi Johnson and a good line. Bratkowski lacked creativity at times we all remember the old shovel pass on 3rd downs. Taylor makes me nervous because he never called plays before and he was only a  QB coach with the Rams and has no proven track record. Taylor hasn't shown much creativity. I feel like Burrow is so good he'll make the coaching look way better then it is.

We haven't ran the ball, because the OL hasn't been able to move anyone off the ball..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Id like to hope that Pollack has influence on ZT
And can convince him you can still run the ball
And still move the chains at will.

One thought here....what kind of offense does JB
Want to be in? JB was throwing the ball all around the field at LSU.
Then when he gets to Cincy it seemed like ZT was already to cater to perhaps
What JB wanted. Did ZT cave to JBs demands or suggestions?

I don't want JB throwing the ball 45 to 50 times and netting only 240 yds of passing
Offense..I don't want to see 5 6 8 yd completions.
I want to see less throws but bigger chunck plays.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 01:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We haven't ran the ball, because the OL hasn't been able to move anyone off the ball..

That’s what I was referring to when I said” bad O-line play” Hopefully Pollack and the new additions will help get us back on track.
Reply/Quote
Bob Bratkowski has forgotten more about offensive play than Zac Taylor ever learned.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 01:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We haven't ran the ball, because the OL hasn't been able to move anyone off the ball..

It does seem to me that Mixon really thrives behind a certain type of blocking scheme. There has been times when I don't like his running style/production and then there are times he looks amazing. Now I know that you could say that's just a game to game thing but it really seems like more than that. It might be a non issue with Pollack since he's coached the line here when Mixon was efficient. I just hope if the running game struggles we don't just say well the passing game is working lets just focus on that instead and we address the issues. 
Reply/Quote
^^^^
This!

In the late part of 2019, they figured out a blocking scheme to work for what we had up front and Mixon was much better.

The Rams SB season had them finishing 3rd in the NFL if that means anything. His prior stops generally were more balanced as well.

I’m hopeful.

And better deep and middle passing (thanks Chase) should enhance the running game as well.
Reply/Quote
Having an elite QB air it out seems to be conducive to success in today's NFL. I'm not convinced mixon can handle an average workload much less an increased one, to boot.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 03:03 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: ^^^^
This!

In the late part of 2019, they figured out a blocking scheme to work for what we had up front and Mixon was much better.

The Rams SB season had them finishing 3rd in the NFL if that means anything. His prior stops generally were more balanced as well.  

I’m hopeful.

And better deep and middle passing (thanks Chase) should enhance the running game as well.

Any and every offensive scheme is designed to be effective, score points and win games.  However, every single offensive strategy is based upon one thing;  Effective blocking by the offensive line.  Without adequate blocking, you don't have an offensive strategy.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Brat was very predictable. One thing I like about ZT is I have no idea what the play call is going to be. I hope he keeps that up and remains unpredictable. He needs some experience calling plays and playing with the lead and winning. Hopefully he picks that part up fast.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 03:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Any and every offensive scheme is designed to be effective, score points and win games.  However, every single offensive strategy is based upon one thing;  Effective blocking by the offensive line.  Without adequate blocking, you don't have an offensive strategy.

Yep

As far as ZT being Brat 2.0 ?? I dunno ? Brat had some decent O's with the Johnson's early on. Not sure ZT will reach that level ?
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 08:26 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Brat was very predictable. One thing I like about ZT is I have no idea what the play call is going to be. I hope he keeps that up and remains unpredictable. He needs some experience calling plays and playing with the lead and winning. Hopefully he picks that part up fast.

A better defense would help fix this. 

We got a 1st overall QB, 5th overall WR and two second round WR if ZT wants an air it out type offense I am good with that. ZT did say in a video that Mixon was top 5 or so in carries when he got hurt last year. It is always good to be unorthodox and keep people guessing so as long as both are productive then both should get used. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 03:03 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: ^^^^
This!

I’m hopeful.

Having a few sec more in the pocket could help open the deep pass up. Chase will help this not only for his ability to stretch the field but also to take defenders off Tee. Teams could focus more on Tee since AJ was not killing it last year like a top 5 draft pick should. Our middle passing was not bad last year Burrow is not a check down guy he likes to stay focused downfield and push the ball downfield.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 11:34 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Having a few sec more in the pocket could help open the deep pass up. Chase will help this not only for his ability to stretch the field but also to take defenders off Tee. Teams could focus more on Tee since AJ was not killing it last year like a top 5 draft pick should. Our middle passing was not bad last year Burrow is not a check down guy he likes to stay focused downfield and push the ball downfield.

Many people think that to be able to complete deep passes, that the QB needs a long period of time (relatively speaking) to wait for the "route to develop".  However, that is not necessarily always the case, as most times the big play threat is going to automatically be drawing double coverage.  Often times what leads to deep route success, is forcing the defense to go one on one with your deep threat, by completing a bunch of short and intermediate stuff that beats the defense into submission, thus forcing them to focus on the middle of the field.

Another way to get one on one coverage on your deep threats is to have success pounding the ball in the running game.  In my opinion, having a strong rushing attack kills the will of opposing defenses 10/10.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 12:32 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Okay I'm not trying to be super negative or anything. Just curious if anyone has thought about how Taylor seems to be of the same philosophy that Bratkowski was as in that to have real success it has to be all about the passing game and that the running game is only a side note. I believe Bratkowski was quoted as saying about the running game that it's hard to win with 3yds and a cloud of dust.

Do you think we'll have a focus on the running game this year with what looks like at least on paper one of the best WR trio's in the league?

Also I think it will be another interesting thing to watch week 1. Do we come out with a emphasis on the running game with QB possibly seeing his first live action after knee surgery? What's the over under on pass attempts 40?

Also I know it's been asked already but it was asked as "how good does Taylor have to be to keep" but I think with already having the built in excuse of Burrow coming off injury the question might be how bad does Taylor need to be before we show him the door? For me this team needs to be atleast .500 and more importantly I need to see at least an adjustment to the offense philosophy. The past 2 seasons we just hand the ball to the Quarterback and say okay be a top 5 QB in the league and we'll win games. We need a more balanced attack.

There will be heavy emphasis on run game to protect Burrow. Pass attempts under 40? That is 100%. I think the O/U on pass attempts will be more in the range of 25-30.
Reply/Quote
Bobby Bratwurst actually had good seasons calling plays here. Zac? Not so much.

Bratkoswski found himself fossilized after ten years here, Zac was petrified from the moment he was hired.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 12:32 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Okay I'm not trying to be super negative or anything. Just curious if anyone has thought about how Taylor seems to be of the same philosophy that Bratkowski was as in that to have real success it has to be all about the passing game and that the running game is only a side note. I believe Bratkowski was quoted as saying about the running game that it's hard to win with 3yds and a cloud of dust.

I see ZT Offense as much more advanced than Bratkowski's. There may be more pass attempts than run plays but those very short passes are basically an extension of the running game. They are very safe passes designed to get 3-6 yards or more. The advantage of having Joe Burrow is more his mind and his precision passing game therefore I want the ball in his hands more times than not. It just worries me a little that JB tries to win every play and holds onto the ball too long. Hopefully, he has studied Tom Brady who is not afraid to throw the ball away and attack with the next play.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 08:26 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Brat was very predictable. One thing I like about ZT is I have no idea what the play call is going to be. I hope he keeps that up and remains unpredictable. He needs some experience calling plays and playing with the lead and winning. Hopefully he picks that part up fast.

Brat has admitted that every team they played knew what the Bengals were doing.  They just couldn't match up defensively to stop them.  
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 03:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Having an elite QB air it out seems to be conducive to success in today's NFL. I'm not convinced mixon can handle an average workload much less an increased one, to boot.

A lot of truths in this^^^ imo the jury is still out for me on Mixon at least the way he is being hyped, and not just around here. Imo he’s a physical specimen with all the potential in the world but I need to see it. And to me it’s more than just him being healthy. That’s where it starts tho
Reply/Quote