Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Love for UC?
(10-11-2021, 07:39 PM)bjf123 Wrote: I agree, but that doesn’t change the fact that the committee will likely still take a 1 loss ‘Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, etc., over an undefeated UC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strength of Schedule plays a lot into it....
Reply/Quote
I know teams are graded year by year so last year shouldn't matter. But I think UC helped itself in last years bowl game. They are the last team that gave Georgia a close game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2021, 03:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Coastal Carolina is also undefeated this year; just as they were last year.

Last year Coastal Carolina lost to Liberty in their bowl game and finished ranked 14th. UC lost to Georgia on a last second FG and finished 6th in the final rankings

Big difference in the eyes of voters
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 01:46 PM)Big Boss Wrote: If UC finishes out the season undefeated and gets pushed out of playoff contention by Alabama and OSU, then the playoffs needs to be extended.  It's as simple as that. 

This.

A one-loss SEC team might be better than am undefeated UC, but there is no need to have a playoff if it is impossible for teams like UC to get a shot when they go undefeated.  

They can't help it that they don't play in the SEC.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 01:46 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Which is dumb.  

If UC finishes out the season undefeated and gets pushed out of playoff contention by Alabama and OSU, then the playoffs needs to be extended.  It's as simple as that.  It's becoming so ***** dull seeing the same teams go the playoffs every single year.

If Alabama wants to be in the playoffs, don't drop a game to an unranked team they should handedly beat.  Simple enough.  Holding a hard "no losses allowed" stance at least gives the committee a chance to shake things up each year.

Playoffs should be extended, but it's about money more than anything else.  What would make the most sense is teams playing their conferences and the conference winners going to the playoffs.  But that removes all of the out of conference games, some of which have significant history.  Some small schools also play those big schools in regular season because they get paid to do so.  And it pads the win record for the bigger team.  

Again, the whole thing is driven by money.  It's never been about deciding which team is really the best in the country.  The whole ranking system is and always has been completely subjective.  But to make it "right" they entire thing needs to be blown up.  And like so many other sports institutions, it's like turning the Titanic in a swimming pool.  And like any other commercial product, there's no incentive to change if the money keeps pouring in.  And no one is going to stop watching college football.  
Reply/Quote
UC will move up to #2 with Iowa getting thumped by Purdue.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2021, 08:21 PM)cinci4life Wrote: UC will move up to #2 with Iowa getting thumped by Purdue.

Iowa getting beat is huge for UC. IF they move up to #2 in the AP it will be hard for the BCS not to have them in their top 4 on NOV 2nd. 

Something ($$$$) tells me OU will probably leap frog them..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Close game against a 1 win Navy team doesn't help.

..nor does OSU taking IU to the woodshed. ND

Reply/Quote
Another fairly unimpressive win. I know Tulane played Oklahoma tough, but I expected a lot more out of UC. Especially after last week.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 04:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Another fairly unimpressive win. I know Tulane played Oklahoma tough, but I expected a lot more out of UC. Especially after last week.

Going to be really interesting to see where the playoff committee puts them on Tuesday night.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 06:07 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Going to be really interesting to see where the playoff committee puts them on Tuesday night.

Would have to think that two meh wins in a row gives the committee some cover for excluding them.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Really need to be stomping these 1 win teams.

I think Ridder is alright, but I don't know if I see him as a guy who can really put an offense on his back. He's had 4 games of 300+ passing yards out of a career 44 games.

He came into the game 54th in Completion %, 41st in AVG, in an 8-way tie for 22nd in TDs, 24th in QB Rating. Just alright. I am excited for Evan Prater next year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 06:11 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Would have to think that two meh wins in a row gives the committee some cover for excluding them.  

Georgia and Oklahoma are both currently winning big. Assuming Ohio State takes care of business tonight, i think the discussion will be over #4 between them and UC.

1. Georgia
2. Oklahoma
3. Alabama
4. Ohio State
5. UC

As NC and you said UC not being impressive against bad teams is going to hurt them but that said in their favor is a likely Georgia/Alabama SEC championship game in which an Alabama loss knocks them out.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 06:07 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Going to be really interesting to see where the playoff committee puts them on Tuesday night.

I say they come in at 6. Above them in no particular order:

UGA
Bama
OU
OSU
Mich ST

Hell they might even fall behind Oregon 

They have hope though as MSU and OSU have to play each other and Bama and UGA will most likely meet in the SEC Championship

Reply/Quote
UC playoff hopes likely took a big hit as SMU lost to Houston After SMU tied it with a FG with 30 seconds left only to have Houston run the kickoff back for a TD. SMU likely out f the top 25 now.
Reply/Quote
Well, disappointed for the UC faithful for getting #6 but not all that surprised, really. MSU deserves that #3 spot.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
#6 In Bowl Rankings, Pretty sure that's where I called it. VERY surprised OU is at #8

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 08:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: #6 In Bowl Rankings, Pretty sure that's where I called it. VERY surprised OU is at #8

Yeah not surprised at all by that. But Bama at #2 and OU at #8? That just solidifies the SEC bias. If they get to the SEC championship game and lose a close one to Georgia and somehow still get in with 2 losses, i will throw up.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 08:39 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Yeah not surprised at all by that. But Bama at #2 and OU at #8? That just solidifies the SEC bias. If they get to the SEC championship game and lose a close one to Georgia and somehow still get in with 2 losses, i will throw up.

I don't think Bama gets in with 2 losses but it pretty much insures UGA is in the final 4. UGA loses to Bama "Well they did lose to #2" Let's drop them to 3.

Reply/Quote
I think losses should count against teams more. Three teams with losses are ahead of Cincinnati. If you want to shoot up teams at the end of the year for finishing strong with that one loss, so be it. But right now, losses seem more forgivable than being undefeated.
Reply/Quote