Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF ranks Bengals Defense units
(06-09-2021, 12:42 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Average line? 24th is bottom half of the league not near average, especially when you look at the teams in front of and behind the Bengals. Falcons one spot ahead who lost Alex Mack and 1 spot ahead of the Raiders who lost multiple starters.
12th ranked WR group averages the offense up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
How excited would everyone have been if the Bengals canned Lou this offseason and hired Wade Phillips to fix this defense?
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 12:46 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 12th ranked WR group averages the offense up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I thought you called the line average not the entire offense.

But even if they had the #1 WR group it doesn't matter unless the line can hold up and right now in the minds of many experts that is not a sure thing.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 12:47 AM)GodFather Wrote: How excited would everyone have been if the Bengals canned Lou this offseason and hired Wade Phillips to fix this defense?

I'd of been excited if they used a set of re-purposed sex dice to call defensive plays. Or a spin-and-speak. Or an 11 year old on Xbox choosing the 'Ask Madden' play call.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 06:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Guess they are kind of going off of last year, but if they are they need to remember in Hendrickson and Ogunjobi they had
more sacks than our entire Defense last season. Reader being back, adding Ossai, Cam Sample, Shelvin, Hubert and we could
be good again at least middle of the pack.

LB we are extremely young, understand this ranking until our guys grow as players.

Speaking of Reader (again) and his importance to the team this season:  I look at his injury last year and I am not sure it wasn't COVID-related.  I just don't know how much of a self-starter the guy is and he might have been a little less than enthusiastic coming here.  I know he said all the right things, but I still wonder.

Fast forward to 2021:  Reader sees two new starters on the line, and as many as four new pieces on the line on a rotational basis.  I think including Reader in things like the uniform reveal can only make they guy more desiring of performing at a high level this year.  When he sees the enthusiasm of guys like Hubbard and Bates, it can't help but motivate him.  I hope the guy has been working his ass off and comes in breathing fire this year.  

He will need to play up to his 2019 level for this team to take the next step.  
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 05:28 PM)Earendil Wrote: I haven't read the article, so maybe they explain, but it seems weird to rank a line that includes DJ Reader, Larry Ogunjobi, Sam Hubbard, and Trey Hendrickson as the 25th best line.

Must be the little details that make all the difference.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 05:28 PM)Earendil Wrote: I haven't read the article, so maybe they explain, but it seems weird to rank a line that includes DJ Reader, Larry Ogunjobi, Sam Hubbard, and Trey Hendrickson as the 25th best line.

Having Resources and Knowing how to use them aren't the same thing. Applies to both sides the ball.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 12:46 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 12th ranked WR group averages the offense up a bit.

Actually our WRs alone would rank much higher.  The only reason our "receivers" ranked low was questions at TE.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 05:15 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If PFF is accurate with their prediction, we are screwed unless we do more prior to the start of the year.

PFF doesn't typically try to project a big improvement in the players when doing these preseason rankings.
However, the Bengals are taking a gamble on the likes of Pratt, Wilson, and ADG to blossom.
Ogunjobi, Hubbard, and Reader are coming off bad years (Reader due to injury, the others due to lack of production).
I think the DL ranking is maybe a little lower than they'll probably end up, but the LB might be spot on unless one of the LBs takes a big enough leap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 09:15 PM)jason Wrote: It's gonna be really interesting to see those guys under Lou. We've seen a guy leave, and be more productive, but it's all anecdotal til we see the newcomers' performance.

You are talking about Dunlap I presume...

Yes, we will see, I do like the players and they seem bought in, unlike Dunlap last year when he was with us.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 06:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: PFF taking the ‘prove it’ stance here. Cant blame them, this defense has been terribad for quite some time.

Prove it works both ways. now PFF needs the Bengals rankings to match their predictions in 2021. prove it PFF.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-32-nfl-secondaries-entering-2021-season
Secondary at 15th!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
How could our line be ranked (25th when Fred toast was trying to tell me that reader ogunjobi and Daniels is a top 5 unit in the league lmao. I’m confused.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 04:33 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: How could our line be ranked (25th when Fred toast was trying to tell me that reader ogunjobi and Daniels is a top 5 unit in the league lmao.  I’m confused.

Because the ranking is using PFFs "secret sauce" subjective formula. 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 12:47 AM)GodFather Wrote: How excited would everyone have been if the Bengals canned Lou this offseason and hired Wade Phillips to fix this defense?

Way more excited than I am now and I am excited, but Lou clearly was who I wanted canned most after last season.

You just cannot give up that many rushing yards to the Ravens, that is downright sad. Wade was who I wanted no question
to man the DC position, experienced with a great resume'.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2021, 06:50 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know that we need to prove it because no one is just going to give us props based off of potential, but I think guys like Shelvin and Reader could make our line at least serviceable and then hopefully the new look rejuvenates our backers and they start playing better.  Hoping our line can play well would also free up the backers and keep blockers off of them.

Hoping for a lot but I hope Burrow and Chase at least get the team excited to start playing with emotion and Mixon being our bell cow on offense just makes the entire team play better and with more energy!

You mean for the 3 games a year he plays and averages 3.5YPC? Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 05:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Way more excited than I am now and I am excited, but Lou clearly was who I wanted canned most after last season.

You just cannot give up that many rushing yards to the Ravens, that is downright sad. Wade was who I wanted no question
to man the DC position, experienced with a great resume'.

Wade has such a great record reshaping defenses. Its exactly what we needed. It just makes no sense why they kept Lou.... Smirk
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 06:41 PM)GodFather Wrote: Wade has such a great record reshaping defenses. Its exactly what we needed. It just makes no sense why they kept Lou.... Smirk

And Wade wants to coach again, couldn't have made a better move. Beyond stupid to keep Lou.

I don't care if he turns it around and we have a decent D, bringing in Wade was just a no brainer for this team.

Would of also insured us of having a decent HC to fall back on in case Zac's teams continue to lose.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2021, 06:40 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: You mean for the 3 games a year he plays and averages 3.5YPC? Big Grin

Seems like you're being a little harsh on Mixon.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The secondary is getting a little respect, ranking 15th.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/jessie-bates-leads-way-as-bengals-secondary-ranked-in-top-half-of-nfl?fbclid=IwAR0kZ-4tiJpRF0UjWbQV3karvXISbufXQT3fVFf8U245FnY3wWFQblppVsU

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote