Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS MAY GAMES THREAD
Can't believe they pulled that one out!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Turns out I cut the grass and didn't watch it. Glad they won. Amazed they came back and tied series 2-2 after losing first 2 games.

So again, Reds haven't lost a series in weeks.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Sims, Antone, Humbree, Doolittle are the New Nasty Boys carrying this team on their back lately.

However they need more from the starters of the bullpen will get worn out.

Fantasy Teams will be looking at all 4 when it comes to adding quality relief pitchers this week. They are Dominating. Their Fantasy points over the last 7 days speaks for itself. All 4 are putting up great Fantasy Points last week. Sims and Antone have great year so far Fantasy Points for relievers.

If Garrett comes back as a good Left Hand Reliever, the Reds are loaded in bullpen. Reds have a very good bullpen.

When Lorenzen comes back, he should have to pitch some rehab games and then earn a spot on Reds. If he doesn't pitch well, there is no room for him. I see him fighting for the long reliever mop up man job, the 6th starter in case of a double header make up game. If he pitches well, he could even beat out one of the struggling starters for a starters job.

Reds are doing great right now with Sims, Antone, Humbree, Doolittle.....Without them, Reds would be losing every game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
7 game home stand against Giants and Brewers. The Giants have thus far been one of the best teams in majors and the Brewers are at least decent.

It would be nice to win 4 of these games.
Reply/Quote
Reds lose 1st game of 4 game series with Giants in Cincy. Gray loses. Can Castillo win Tuesday ? Why is that asking the impossible ? If we can't expect Gray or Castillo to win, then this will be a bad season no matter what anybody else does.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2021, 12:04 AM)kevin Wrote: Reds lose 1st game of 4 game series with Giants in Cincy.  Gray loses.  Can Castillo win Tuesday ?  Why is that asking the impossible ?  If we can't expect Gray or Castillo to win, then this will be a bad season no matter what anybody else does.

YUP

Gray and Castillo have to get it together ASAP or this is gonna quickly turn into another long season.
Reply/Quote
Hunter Greene is dominating AA early on. He's 3-0 with a 1.69 ERA. 16 innings, 8 hits, 3 walks, 25 K's. Limiting batters to a .143 average. I'm sure he's hitting triple digits with his fastball. He just needs development of off speed pitches.
Reply/Quote
Reds need a bounce back game from Miley who was awful after his No Hitter. Reds need a win to have a chance of not losing this Giants series in Cincy. Reds also need a win to end Giants series at .500 on the season. Reds are 2 games under 500

Now Gray and Castillo were not great and Reds lost both games they pitched against Giants. However Castillo was better than he has been. Fantasy owners who have them may not want to leave them on the bench their next starts, they are worth starting this weekend. Gray and Castillo are struggling, but they may do OK on Saturday and Sunday starts. Fantasy owners should start them this weekend, because they didn't go minus points their last starts, just didn't win. Gray and Castillo might both get Wins this weekend, which is why Reds are paying them.

For now Miley, Mahle and Hoffman, and Reds must avoid being swept by Giants, tying Giants series even better.

No Hitter Miley may Win tonight. His last start in Mile High Colorado has always kept breaking pitches from breaking. Fast balls are still fast balls, but high altitudes have always been hard on pitchers who live by the breaking ball. Back in Cincy, Mileys left handed junk pitches should regain their breaking spin. Maybe not a No Hitter, but maybe a Win.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds trying to avoid a 4 game sweep by Giants at home in Cincinnati. 4 game sweeps in your own ballpark is just lousy baseball.

On the mound for Giants today is ex Red Johnny Cueto, who was pitching good before his injury this season. This will be his 3rd game back. He was rocky his 1st game back, better his 2nd game, so what he throws to Reds today is in question. If Cueto is on his game, he may hand his ex team a SWEEP.

Mahle vs Cueto. ....Will Reds take a 4 game sweep in their own ball park.

I doubt if Cueto has pitched much in Cincinnati since gone from Reds. This will be a rare Cueto come back to Cincy.

REDS LOSING 10 to 1 after 3.....THIS IS A GIANTS SWEEP.....OK.....Just don't waste relief pitchers, save them for Brewers Series....SOME PITCHER HAS TO TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM, EVEN IF HE GIVES UP 20 RUNS. ....REDS LOST THIS ONE EARLY.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Slip sliding away
Reply/Quote
Reds now 4 under .500 with many injuries to key players. Reds are 0-4 on this homestand. In come the Brewers and Reds have Hoffman, Gray, Castillo for the weekend. Reds need some wins to salvage this homestand because these are paying customers first and foremost and this is a business, not just a sport. Tickets are sold, Fans spend money. You do not get swept an entire home stand, or you soon won't have many fans.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 09:41 AM)kevin Wrote: Reds now 4 under .500 with many injuries to key players.  Reds are 0-4 on this homestand.  In come the Brewers and Reds have Hoffman, Gray, Castillo for the weekend. Reds need some wins to salvage this homestand because these are paying customers first and foremost and this is a business, not just a sport. Tickets are sold, Fans spend money.  You do not get swept an entire home stand, or you soon won't have many fans.

Yup

They need in a bad way to sweep Brewers, take two at a bare minimum ! If they're not careful they're gonna be out of it by mid June. And I hate that.
Reply/Quote
Well off to a good start. 3 run homer from Naquin in the 1st!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2021, 08:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Slip sliding away

It's hard to get swept in a 4 game series at home, but somehow they managed to do it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I had TV on, but also on phone with a friend, so TV sound off....But while hors of talking with this woman , it appears Reds had a Big Night. Did Winker jack 3 homers, it seemed like he did, I don't know. I know Naquin hit a 3 run homer early and if Bell benches him again for these other stiffs, Bell needs shot. I don't care what computer charts or graphics or slide rulers Moneyball uses, one old time rule should rise above all of it, and that is you do not bench somebody on a Hot Streak. Naquin early on was on a Hot Streak and Bell benched him to get Senzel in and later Akiyama, and you don't do that. You never bench a player on a Hot Streak. Naquin was leading MLB in Home Runs when Bell benched him, and Bell and Reds were Stupid. GLAD TO SEE NAQUIN GETTING HOT, for he should have never been benched when he was hot in April.

So Reds poured it on Brewers. Hoffman has a hard time throwing strikes, but he did give Reds some innings after all. He is painful to watch, I hate walks. Still, he slid by thanks to all the Reds runs.

Now for Gray and Castillo to step up.

I'm hoping Giants are just a good team that was too Hot, and Reds do better against the Brewers. Giants were the first series Reds lost in over 3 weeks or more. GO REDS, beat the Brewers.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 12:33 AM)kevin Wrote: I had TV on, but also on phone with a friend, so TV sound off....But while hors of talking with this woman , it appears Reds had a Big Night.  Did Winker jack 3 homers, it seemed like he did, I don't know.  I know Naquin hit a 3 run homer early and if Bell benches him again for these other stiffs, Bell needs shot.  I don't care what computer charts or graphics or slide rulers Moneyball uses, one old time rule should rise above all of it, and that is you do not bench somebody on a Hot Streak.  Naquin early on was on a Hot Streak and Bell benched him to get Senzel in and later Akiyama, and you don't do that. You never bench a player on a Hot Streak. Naquin was leading MLB in Home Runs when Bell benched him, and Bell and Reds were Stupid.  GLAD TO SEE NAQUIN GETTING HOT, for he should have never been benched when he was hot in April.

So Reds poured it on Brewers.  Hoffman has a hard time throwing strikes, but he did give Reds some innings after all.  He is painful to watch, I hate walks. Still, he slid by thanks to all the Reds runs.

Now for Gray and Castillo to step up.

I'm hoping Giants are just a good team that was too Hot, and Reds do better against the Brewers. Giants were the first series Reds lost in over 3 weeks or more.  GO REDS, beat the Brewers.

Yes Winker hit 3 homers. Senzel was just put on the 10 day IL so the odds of Naquin staying in the lineup are much higher.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:38 AM)cinci4life Wrote: Yes Winker hit 3 homers. Senzel was just put on the 10 day IL so the odds of Naquin staying in the lineup are much higher.

Senzel is shaping up to be a lost cause, another what could have been.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 01:38 AM)cinci4life Wrote: Yes Winker hit 3 homers. Senzel was just put on the 10 day IL so the odds of Naquin staying in the lineup are much higher.

And he has Scott Heineman in CF today who was called up yesterday after Senzel was put on IL. Naquin not in starting lineup.
Reply/Quote
Anyone that's read any of my threads about the shift will totally understand my love of this Don Mattingly clip and Rich Eisen's beautiful portrayal of watching MLB.

And how in the Hell is Don Mattingly not in the Hall Of Fame? Talk about things that are wrong with Baseball. One of the greatest hitters to ever play this game and he was awesome at 1st base. You don't earn the nickname "Donnie Baseball" for being just a good player.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 02:53 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Anyone that's read any of my threads about the shift will totally understand my love of this Don Mattingly clip and Rich Eisen's beautiful portrayal of watching MLB.

And how in the Hell is Don Mattingly not in the Hall Of Fame? Talk about things that are wrong with Baseball. One of the greatest hitters to ever play this game and he was awesome at 1st base. You don't earn the nickname "Donnie Baseball" for being just a good player.

Mattingly was a great player but probably had too short of a career.  Lifetime WAR is 42.4.  Had 2153 hits and 1099 RBI's.  Lifetime average was over .300 and had 9 gold gloves.  Surprisingly, only played in 6 All Star games, which shows his great talent didn't sustain enough years? 
Reply/Quote