Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds sign Candelario
Reds signed Jeimer Candelario to a 3yr 45mil with a club option 4th yr which could take it to 60mil.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/reds-agree-to-deal-with-jeimer-candelario.html
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Scratching my head WTF

That's just what we need. Another infielder to add to the 7 we already have. Hell forget pitching, we don't need no stinking pitching.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This SCREAMS trade for Ace pitcher incoming.

I don't like the idea of us trading Marte or CES, but if a trade for Dylan Cease or maybe Glasnow + Arozarena comes through the timeline in the next 2 days that involves one of our current corner infielders, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Reply/Quote
....but why?

Moustakas signing 2.0

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
No way should Marte be available. Period.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:17 AM)Goalpost Wrote: No way should Marte be available.  Period.

What about Marte makes him untouchable to you?

Don't get me wrong, I really like Marte. I think he could be our 3B of the future with a solid bad, solid defense and good speed on basepaths.

But I don't think he's going to be a career .316 hitter. He had an absolutely incredible September stat line of .387/.425/.547/.972, with a BABIP of 0.384, but his career minor league stat line is .282/.367/.467/.833. So he was playing a bit over his head in his brief call up to the majors.

The league average BABIP is about .300, so he was what you would consider "very lucky" in 2023.

If they can sell high on him and get a genuine Ace pitcher, I wouldn't blame them for it, even if it would make me sad.
Reply/Quote
There is some speculation that Candelario was signed specifically as a trade piece..To sweeten the pot so to speak..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 02:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: There is some speculation that Candelario was signed specifically as a trade piece..To sweeten the pot so to speak..  
I dunno. Signed for three years at almost 15 million per? That's starter money. I just don't see it. I expect Candelario to be the "vet" presence in the clubhouse with all these young bucks still learning how to be pros. One of Marte or CES is getting traded almost certainly. Candelario plays both 3B and 1B and he's a switch hitter, giving the Reds some flexibility with who to trade.

I like this signing so far. Ask me again once the trades are done and our rosters are set for ST!
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 02:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: There is some speculation that Candelario was signed specifically as a trade piece..To sweeten the pot so to speak..  

Where did you get that info?
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 04:09 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I dunno. Signed for three years at almost 15 million per? That's starter money. I just don't see it. I expect Candelario to be the "vet" presence in the clubhouse with all these young bucks still learning how to be pros. One of Marte or CES is getting traded almost certainly. Candelario plays both 3B and 1B and he's a switch hitter, giving the Reds some flexibility with who to trade.

I like this signing so far. Ask me again once the trades are done and our rosters are set for ST!

He can hit! Trust me. At GABP he's going to be able to hit it out, a lot...
Reply/Quote
At this point . . . this stiff is a complete and total waste of cash. They can't be this poor at 3rd base in AAA.

I would DFA him on game #79 at the latest.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2024, 03:40 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: At this point . . . this stiff is a complete and total waste of cash. They can't be this poor at 3rd base in AAA.

I would DFA him on game #79 at the latest.

The guy is batting .189 you can't just keep suffering for long at that rate.
Reply/Quote
Speaking of a complete waste of a roster spot, another player that needs to be DFA'd and possibly released by their team is Corbin Carroll.

That bum is hitting .193/.292/.246 in 29 games. It makes me sick. Rookie of the Year, Smookie of the Year. Drum him out of the league NOW.

And don't even get me started on Francisco Lindor. Sure, he had an .806 OPS last season and was one of the better hitting shortstops in the entire league last year, but now he's hitting .197/.280/.359. Talk about washed up, amirite? DFA immediately.

And thank GOD we didn't end up trading for Tyler Glasnow + Randy Arozorena with the Rays this past off season because, despite being a right handed outfielder that we desperately needed and having a career OPS vs LH pitching of .899, he's currently hitting .143/.220/.241 in the 30 games he's played! Surely, this is who he is now, so we dodged a bullet on that one.

And don't give me that "small sample size" BS. These guys have had like 90 at bats and 1 month (out of 6) by now. That's like...15% of a season or something. There's no time left to improve on these numbers!

It's not like baseball is a game of numbers and averages where players go through slumps and highs that average out to their career stat lines. You sound stupid when you start talking all mathy like that. This is sports, not science class!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 09:11 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The guy is batting .189 you can't just keep suffering for long at that rate.

Candy needs to return to his normal line or be benched
Reply/Quote
Missing Marte (and McClain) hurts big time! Jiemer is going to play because we have no one else until Marte comes back from suspension. And then, if they make the playoffs, will be without Marte AGAIN for the entirety of the playoffs. I'd like to believe he works his way out of this funk, but until then, the lower he is in the batting order the better!

This funk is a team wide thing too, aside from a few guys. Are guys not seeing the ball well? Are guys pressing? Is batting practice just a glorified get-together around the "water-cooler" before clock-in? Whatever it is, I really hope they get it fixed ASAP!
Reply/Quote
He actually seems to be heating up at the plate. Not a big fan of his goofball error at first today, but perhaps things are finally clicking for him.
Reply/Quote