Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
True Stories
I’ve been into biography dramas lately. What are some movie you liked which were true, or based on true events? Some I enjoyed were as follows:

Ford Vs Ferrari.
The Social Network 
Father Stu
The Big Short
The Wolf of Wall St.

I’ve seen many more but these are some I thought were worth mentioning. What are some of your favorites?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 08:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I’ve been into biography dramas lately. What are some movie you liked which were true, or based on true events? Some I enjoyed were as follows:

Ford Vs Ferrari.
The Social Network 
Father Stu
The Big Short 
The Wolf of Wall St.

I’ve seen many more but these are some I thought were worth mentioning. What are some of your favorites?

One of these is not like the other... (meaning it's told from multiple POVs, so who's biography is it? I see google also says it's a bio drama so what do i know)

Here's a few that come to mine which I've watched recently:

Molly's Game
The Founder
Air
War Dogs
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Tag is a fun movie based on a true story but th movie just uses the story and not the real events.

It's about a group of guys that have been playing the same game of Tag since high school.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Recently watched Cocaine bear... Which is loosely based on a true story

others that come to mind
Lord of War
a beautiful mind
Captain Phillips
Bloodsport
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 08:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I’ve been into biography dramas lately. What are some movie you liked which were true, or based on true events? Some I enjoyed were as follows:

Ford Vs Ferrari.
The Social Network
Father Stu
The Big Short
The Wolf of Wall St.

Nothing against you or your choice, Mike, but **** Ford, what a waste of a concept for a film. There are SO. MANY. DIFFERENT. RACING. TOPICS. that one can make into a film and they pick a lame Sports/Touring Car rivalry that barely made a dent in the grand scheme of things racing?

Of modern things based on true racing events, Rush is infinitely better and about 70% accurate too.

And while the Social Network is a phenomenal film, that is (to borrow from the shareholding in the film), 5-10% true, as it was based on a book that was written with only one person's POV (Dustin Moskovitz) in mind and Dustin wasn't as involved as Mark or Eduardo in real life.

But! As noted by Zuckerberg himself many times, they got his wardrobe in the film almost 1:1 LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2023, 11:30 PM)basballguy Wrote: One of these is not like the other...  (meaning it's told from multiple POVs, so who's biography is it?  I see google also says it's a bio drama so what do i know)

Here's a few that come to mine which I've watched recently:

Molly's Game
The Founder
Air
War Dogs

I seen AIR advertised on IMBD website yesterday. Gonna guess it's about Nike?

(05-18-2023, 08:28 AM)Synric Wrote: Tag is a fun movie based on a true story but th movie just uses the story and not the real events.

It's about a group of guys that have been playing the same game of Tag since high school.

A friend of mine brought up TAG the other day and recommended it.

(05-18-2023, 09:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Recently watched Cocaine bear...  Which is loosely based on a true story

others that come to mind
Lord of War
a beautiful mind
Captain Phillips
Bloodsport

In one of my searches for biography dramas Cocaine Bear popped up. I was like, No Way! This can't be a true story? HAHA. Now I have to watch it.

(05-18-2023, 09:20 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Of modern things based on true racing events, Rush is infinitely better and about 70% accurate too.

I'm not a huge race fan like I used to be. However, I just looked up Rush and it looks good. It's going on the list.

Last night after posting this thread I watched Schindlers List and TBH, I don't know what to think about it. It had very high ratings. With the story itself, man, all I kept thinking about was how a group of people could have so much hate and to treat human beings that way. Although I know the events are true, it is beyond my ability to comprehend the horror the Jews experienced. 

As for the acting, It was pretty good and at first had difficulty getting into the B&W but grew on me quickly. For anyone that's seen it, what was the meaning of the little girl in the red coat?

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 10:55 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I seen AIR advertised on IMBD website yesterday. Gonna guess it's about Nike?

A friend of mine brought up TAG the other day and recommended it.

In one of my searches for biography dramas Cocaine Bear popped up. I was like, No Way! This can't be a true story? HAHA. Now I have to watch it.

I'm not a huge race fan like I used to be. However, I just looked up Rush and it looks good. It's going on the list.

Last night after posting this thread I watched Schindlers List and TBH, I don't know what to think about it. It had very high ratings. With the story itself, man, all I kept thinking about was how a group of people could have so much hate and to treat human beings that way. Although I know the events are true, it is beyond my ability to comprehend the horror the Jews experienced. 

As for the acting, It was pretty good and at first had difficulty getting into the B&W but grew on me quickly. For anyone that's seen it, what was the meaning of the little girl in the red coat?

What I've always seen/read, is that she represents the innocence and hope for the Jews, in Schindler's eyes: she isn't just another monochrome object in the background, blending in with the rest of the sad, bleak world that he lives in.

Phenomenal film.

WWII brings out the best in Spielberg: Schindler and Saving Ryan's Privates are his two best films by far.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 11:05 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: WWII brings out the best in Spielberg: Schindler and Saving Ryan's Privates are his two best films by far.

His Jewish roots probably drive his passion.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 10:55 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: In one of my searches for biography dramas Cocaine Bear popped up. I was like, No Way! This can't be a true story? HAHA. Now I have to watch it.

This can't possibly be true.  I thought it was a documentary or something so i put it on last week.  After about 15 minutes i just thought it was some sort of Sharknado type movie with the same production quality and turned it off....lol
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 01:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: This can't possibly be true.  I thought it was a documentary or something so i put it on last week.  After about 15 minutes i just thought it was some sort of Sharknado type movie with the same production quality and turned it off....lol

The only thing that's true is the initial dealer trying to transport it and it fell with the helicopter: IRL, the bear ate it and died like 7 minutes later and did nothing, no rampage, nothing.

The rest of the film is fiction, 100%.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 09:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Recently watched Cocaine bear...  Which is loosely based on a true story

others that come to mind
Lord of War
a beautiful mind
Captain Phillips
Bloodsport

Just finished a beautiful mind. Excellent movie. I couldn’t help feeling like in some scenes, Russell Crowe closely resembled Fred Gwynn. 

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 05:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The only thing that's true is the initial dealer trying to transport it and it fell with the helicopter: IRL, the bear ate it and died like 7 minutes later and did nothing, no rampage, nothing.

The rest of the film is fiction, 100%.

The actual taxidermy bear is down the road from me here in Lexington.  They have it on display in a novelty/t-shirt shop.  It's kind of unimpressive minus the story.
Reply/Quote

Ford Vs Ferrari.
The Social Network 
Father Stu
The Big Short
The Wolf of Wall St.

chernobyl was interesting
Reply/Quote
If we’re looking for old ones that are good:

Tyson (original HBO Films movie from like 1995)
We Were Soldiers (war films might be able to be its own category her
American Gangster
Catch Me If You Can

Some others I like that fit:
The Irishman
The Matrix
Walk the Line
The Theory of Everything
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 09:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Recently watched Cocaine bear... Which is loosely based on a true story

others that come to mind
Lord of War
a beautiful mind
Captain Phillips
Bloodsport

I’ve always been a Nic Cage fan…really liked Lord of War with Jared Leto.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2023, 10:37 AM)kalibengal Wrote: chernobyl was interesting

I’ve seen that one and yes it was.

(05-20-2023, 01:50 PM)basballguy Wrote: If we’re looking for old ones that are good:

Tyson (original HBO Films movie from like 1995)
We Were Soldiers (war films might be able to be its own category her
American Gangster
Catch Me If You Can

Some others I like that fit:
The Irishman
The Matrix
Walk the Line
The Theory of Everything

The Matrix? Is that true future shit that hasn’t happened yet?

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2023, 07:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I’ve seen that one and yes it was.

The Matrix? Is that true future shit that hasn’t happened yet?

Lol the matrix is 100% a true story
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2023, 10:34 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Just finished a beautiful mind. Excellent movie. I couldn’t help feeling like in some scenes, Russell Crowe closely resembled Fred Gwynn. 

I can absolutely see that resemblance, or rather hear it.  Something about the intonation of his voice in delivering his lines.  For example, when it was later in the movie and he remarks to his former rival "terrified, petrified, of you" (or something similar), I can hear that being directed to Vincent Gambini instead.
Reply/Quote
We recently watched Inventing Anna on Netflix. I read the article when it originally came out, so I already knew the story for the most part.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2023, 12:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: We recently watched Inventing Anna on Netflix. I read the article when it originally came out, so I already knew the story for the most part.

That was an oddly good watch. I didn’t know it was a real story.
Reply/Quote