Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Important Year for Jonah Williams
So, I'm sure a lot of people are aware of this but some may not be; the decision to pick up Jonah Williams 5th year option is coming up after this season. (You have to decide after year 3).  As the title of the thread states, this is a very important season for Jonah Williams.

Fwiw, with the new CBA, the rules for the 5th year option have completely changed.  Frankly, it's confusing as hell.  Now the amount is tied to play time and performance (Pro Bowls), so we don't know exactly how much he will cost.  As it stands right now he'd be looking at a "basic" tier.  I don't think he can reach the play time amounts even if he plays 100% of the snaps in 2021, but if he makes a Pro Bowl his number will go up a bit.  Like I said, confusing.

Anways, that's not really all that important right now.  Regardless of where he lands we can be assume he's going to be looking at an 11 million amount and up.  That's the number (at minimum) the Bengals will need to commit to after this season.  The other thing is the new rules make it so once the option is picked up, the 4th and 5th years become fully guranteed.  So, not only would you be locking him into a huge raise but you're guaranteeing those final 2 years in advance.  That's going to be a risky proposition for the team with a player with his injury history.

He's really going to have show he's worthy of this in 2021.  Not only is he going to have to stay healthy, which he obviously hasn't been able to do, but he's going to have to play at a semi-high level (top half of the league LT).  If he misses time, or if he's just average or below, then the team may very well balk at picking up his option.

I like Jonah and was pretty impressed with his play last year.  I'd love to see him show some improvement with some experience under his belt.  If he can do that, which shouldn't be that unlikely, then I think he'll be a no-brainer to pick up.  He's just got to stay on the field.  But if for some reason he can't do these things then we may be nearing the end of his time here.

I'm too lazy to do all of the research required but I think you'll find that a very small amount of 1st round picks who don't get their options picked up end up staying with the teams that drafted them.  I gotta imagine it's well less than 50% (probably more like 20%).  So we really need to root for this guy this season.  Because if he goes into year 4 without that 5th year then it's likely he's all but gone.

I thought this thread would be interesting.  I think a lot of still think of Jonah as a young guy and that we still have some time for him to live up to his draft position.  And that's partly true.  He is still young, and he's certainly capable of proving he was worthy of being a high pick.  But it's also true that the time is starting to run out a bit.  I think this year is more important than some realize.  It's put up or shut up time.  This kid needs to have a quality year or he may not be here in a couple of years.
Reply/Quote
well thats good news... (the fact that the 5th year option is now priced based on performance and not draft slot...)

Its a big year for him and the club as they gambled on him being able to hold down that spot without much insurance behind him
Reply/Quote
Obviously I WANT JW to play extremely well.... but he has been oft injured and, when healthy, has been just OK. Not seeing big value in him at $11 and think he's better suited as a Guard. Not sure what his potential is to develop into an elite LT.

I will say that giving him a competent veteran player on the inside to play next to him may help him tremendously. If you've ever played team sports and had to work in tandem with someone who sucks, it's impossible to just do your job really well. Reserving complete judgment on JW until midway through this season, but right now I would give him a C- and NOT pay him $11.
Reply/Quote
If he misses even at least 2 games with an injury, they shouldn’t re-sign this guy
Reply/Quote
He's going to be outsdanding and one of the key pieces to the franchise.
Reply/Quote
I think you have to pick up the 5th year no matter once. Top draft Olinemen, hurt or not, you just dont let that go into FA on the first contract. I also think you have to give him development under the new Oline coach, and see what he does (which you will need more than 1 year off to do.) Now resign to a new contact, lets wait and see, but the 5th year, its a no brainer pick it up.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't Jonah William's knee injury because someone fell into his leg and hyperextended his knee?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but I feel it’s typically year 3 that those early 1st rd tackles start to dominate like they were projected to. Not saying this will happen with Jonah, but feel that Fisher in KC and the guy that Phili drafted a while back took time to get acclimated.

Hoping we see some of that this year. Health is the main issue, he’s been decent when in there despite what some fans think.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 02:40 PM)plantmanky Wrote: I think you have to pick up the 5th year no matter once.  Top draft Olinemen, hurt or not, you just dont let that go into FA on the first contract.  I also think you have to give him development under the new Oline coach, and see what he does (which you will need more than 1 year off to do.)  Now resign to a new contact, lets wait and see, but the 5th year, its a no brainer pick it up.

Were you upset we didn't pick up Price's option?  What about Ogbuehi's?  (Fwiw, I'm not saying these are equal comparisons but I think it puts a hole in you "no matter what" argument.)

I don't think that because a player plays a particular position that they should be guaranteed an option year.  It should be a case by case basis.  Either they're worth the investment or they're not.  And if Williams misses more time I think it would be insane to fully guarantee his last two years of his deal, and to set his market at 11 mil + for 2023.

To each their own, but I think this dude has a lot to prove this year to warrant that type of commitment two years in advance. 
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 10:21 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So, I'm sure a lot of people are aware of this but some may not be; the decision to pick up Jonah Williams 5th year option is coming up after this season. (You have to decide after year 3).  As the title of the thread states, this is a very important season for Jonah Williams.

Fwiw, with the new CBA, the rules for the 5th year option have completely changed.  Frankly, it's confusing as hell.  Now the amount is tied to play time and performance (Pro Bowls), so we don't know exactly how much he will cost.  As it stands right now he'd be looking at a "basic" tier.  I don't think he can reach the play time amounts even if he plays 100% of the snaps in 2021, but if he makes a Pro Bowl his number will go up a bit.  Like I said, confusing.

Anways, that's not really all that important right now.  Regardless of where he lands we can be assume he's going to be looking at an 11 million amount and up.  That's the number (at minimum) the Bengals will need to commit to after this season.  The other thing is the new rules make it so once the option is picked up, the 4th and 5th years become fully guranteed.  So, not only would you be locking him into a huge raise but you're guaranteeing those final 2 years in advance.  That's going to be a risky proposition for the team with a player with his injury history.

He's really going to have show he's worthy of this in 2021.  Not only is he going to have to stay healthy, which he obviously hasn't been able to do, but he's going to have to play at a semi-high level (top half of the league LT).  If he misses time, or if he's just average or below, then the team may very well balk at picking up his option.

I like Jonah and was pretty impressed with his play last year.  I'd love to see him show some improvement with some experience under his belt.  If he can do that, which shouldn't be that unlikely, then I think he'll be a no-brainer to pick up.  He's just got to stay on the field.  But if for some reason he can't do these things then we may be nearing the end of his time here.

I'm too lazy to do all of the research required but I think you'll find that a very small amount of 1st round picks who don't get their options picked up end up staying with the teams that drafted them.  I gotta imagine it's well less than 50% (probably more like 20%).  So we really need to root for this guy this season.  Because if he goes into year 4 without that 5th year then it's likely he's all but gone.

I thought this thread would be interesting.  I think a lot of still think of Jonah as a young guy and that we still have some time for him to live up to his draft position.  And that's partly true.  He is still young, and he's certainly capable of proving he was worthy of being a high pick.  But it's also true that the time is starting to run out a bit.  I think this year is more important than some realize.  It's put up or shut up time.  This kid needs to have a quality year or he may not be here in a couple of years.
My opinion,I believe he is just not strong enough,does not have the muscle mass it takes to play at a very high level,he gets man-handled a ton and will get hurt again. some of these D-lineman are just huge and very strong and they push him around a ton.He is always being pushed off his position and has to continue to run around joe keeping the D from killing him. I would put someone else in the spot.LT is a premier Position.
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of folks forget that last year was essentially his rookie season, and it had all the crap that came with COVID. I think he is going to be our LT for a very long time.
Reply/Quote
The injury last year was the definition of fluke and also remember they shut him down when he could have at bare minimum been back for the final game. I want to see him with an actual competent LG next to him instead of MJ.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 10:21 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So, I'm sure a lot of people are aware of this but some may not be; the decision to pick up Jonah Williams 5th year option is coming up after this season. (You have to decide after year 3).  As the title of the thread states, this is a very important season for Jonah Williams.

You are very correct. It's a very, very important year for him and for whoever selects OL in the draft.

I hope he plays extremely well and stays healthy.

Reply/Quote
I have no worries about Williams and I think he will make a big jump from year 2 to year 3.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 04:32 PM)J24 Wrote: I have no worries about Williams and I think he will make a big jump from year 2 to year 3.

I'll make sure to prioritize this.  As long as he stays on the field he'll make a jump from year 2 to year 3 just with Pollack's coaching.  

When you've only played 10 games out of 32 you gotta prove it.  As of now he's proven he's a chandelier.  

I hope for the best but I kind of fear what someone else posted previously in that he doesn't have the muscle mass to play LT.  

He's not strong enough and a lot of those DE make Jonah look like a college kid.  
Reply/Quote
I'd love to be wrong about this kid and see him make the jump to a solid LT, but the injury concern is real with him. He is young so maybe he gets it together and comes out healthy and stronger and makes it through, but if he misses substantial time for a 3rd straight year I'm not sure how you justify the 5th year option.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 04:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think a lot of folks forget that last year was essentially his rookie season, and it had all the crap that came with COVID.  I think he is going to be our LT for a very long time.

[Image: 5e29rn.jpg]

(06-21-2021, 04:17 PM)Joelist Wrote: The injury last year was the definition of fluke and also remember they shut him down when he could have at bare minimum been back for the final game. I want to see him with an actual competent LG next to him instead of MJ.

He had two separate injuries last year. It wasn't a "the injury" he missed 2.5 games with an injury (the bye week was in the middle of that) and then came back, played another 2.5 games before the knee injury.

3 separate injuries in 2 years, each making him miss at least 2 weeks. That's not a fluke.

Call me skeptical about the "could have been back for the final game" bit. Same team that said Joe Mixon was week-to-week for a month before going on the IR and never playing again. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2021, 02:41 PM)Synric Wrote: Wasn't Jonah William's knee injury because someone fell into his leg and hyperextended his knee?

What does that have to do with anything relative?  Injuries are injuries.  Joe Burrow also got injured by a guy falling into his leg..

I mean if we're all ready to burn Mike Jordan at the stake for letting Burrow get injured, than we should also hold Jonah Williams accountable for allowing himself to get injured.  Why didn't he see the guy falling, and just pull his leg out of the way??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Like Jonah a lot and believe he will succeed. Yet agree that he has to prove he can stay healthy as well to be worth the investment.

Was the biggest Eifert fan too but bengals should have parted ways earlier per his frailness.

Don't think Jonah will be this way and looking forward to seeing his growth this season.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
He certainly has a lot to prove. Hopefully he can put it all together this year.

He isn't the physical freak that Sewell is. I'd definitely feel more confident in our tackles with him on board. But Jonah could prove us wrong and really show up this year. He wouldn't be the first tackle his size to make it in the league. Mentally I think he's got what it takes. The question is physically can he get it done--and stay healthy.
Reply/Quote