Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where is the Bates Extension?
(08-04-2021, 09:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, Jessie isn't the best Safety in the NFL right now but I think he will be, that's why. I understand your thought but it is better to 
pay the man like we did Hubbard before he makes the strides you expect. Bates is tearing it up in TC right now and will become a 
better tackler as we all know is his main weakness. I say pay the man who wants to be a Bengal while he still does and it ensures 
we have a top Safety for years to come then we can focus on other things and not have to worry about Safety for a bit.

Except Hubbard got paid like the t-22nd veteran DE. There's a $17m/yr difference between what he got and the highest paid DE. If he puts up an 8-9 sack season (or better) then he could have cost $7-8m/yr more next year. Hubbard also only got $10m in guarantees, which was his $10m signing bonus. No other guaranteed money in the whole contract.

You pay guys early when it could save you big money. There's no such savings for Bates right now. If they pay Bates now, he probably becomes the highest paid S in the NFL. If they pay Bates after this year (and he repeats 2020) he still gets paid as the highest paid S in the NFL. No big difference.

They're not the same situations at all, Nate.

Much closer to the Bates situation is... imagine if they had waited a year to pay Mixon. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except Hubbard got paid like the t-22nd veteran DE. There's a $17m/yr difference between what he got and the highest paid DE. If he puts up an 8-9 sack season (or better) then he could have cost $7-8m/yr more next year. Hubbard also only got $10m in guarantees, which was his $10m signing bonus. No other guaranteed money in the whole contract.

You pay guys early when it could save you big money. There's no such savings for Bates right now. If they pay Bates now, he probably becomes the highest paid S in the NFL. If they pay Bates after this year (and he repeats 2020) he still gets paid as the highest paid S in the NFL. No big difference.

They're not the same situations at all, Nate.

Much closer to the Bates situation is... imagine if they had waited a year to pay Mixon. 

Alright, well done. Makes me feel better if they don't give Bates the extension soon. Thanks TLL.

Be sure to stick around to caution others that will be on the edge of the cliff if we don't extend Jessie before the season.

Dudes WILL go nuts if he isn't, common occurrence around this place. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote