Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (https://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RANK OUR IOL (2024) (/thread-38623.html)

Pages: 1 2

RANK OUR IOL (2024) - bfine32 - 07-11-2024

We now move to the guys who keep rushers out of Joe's face and open up lanes for the interior run game. Where have you got The Ted Gang? I'll only list starting 3

ARZ: WILL HERNANDEZ/ HAJADI FROHODT/ ISAIAH ADAMS
ATL: CHRIS LINDSTROM/ DREW DAHLMAN/MATTHEW BERGERON
BAL: ANDREW VORHEES/ TYLER LINDERBAUM/ BEN CLEVELAND
BUF: OCYRUS TORRENCE/ CONNER MCGOVERN/ DAVID EDWARDS
CAR: ROBERT HUNT/ AUSTIN COBERTT/ DAMIEN LEWIS
CHI: NATE DAVIS/ COLEMAN SHELTON/ TEVIN JENKINS
CLV: WYATT TELLER/ ETHAN POCIC/ JEOL BITONIO
DAL: ZACH MARTIN/ BROCK HOFFMAN/ TYLER SMITH
DEN: QUINN MIENERZ/ SAM MUSTIPHER/ BEN POWERS
DET: KEVIN ZIETLER/ FRANK RAGNOW/ GRAHAM GLASCOW
GBP: SEAN RYHAN/ JOSH METERS/ ELGTON JENKINS
HOU: SHAQ MASON/ JUICE SCRUGGS/ KENYON GREEN
IND: QUENTON NELSON/ RYAN KELLY/ WILL FRIES
JAX: BRANDON SCHREFF/ MITCH MORSE/ EZRA CLEVELAND
KCC: JOE THUNEY/ CREED HUMPHREY/ TREY SMITH
LAC: JAMAREE SALYERS/ BRADLEY BOZEMAN/ ZION JOHNSON
LAR: KEVIN DOTSON/ STEVE AVILA/ JONAH JACKSON
LVR: JACKSON POWERSJOHNSON/ ANDRE JAMES/ DYLAN PARHAM
MIA: ISIAIH WYNN/ AARON BREWER/ ROBERT JONES
MIN: ED INGRAM/ GARRETT BRADBURY/ DALTON RISNER
NEP: SIDNEY SOW/ JAKE ANDREWS/ COLE STRANGE
NOS: CESAR RUIZ/ ERIK MCCOY/ NICK SALDVERI
NYG: JOHN RUNYAN/ JOHN MICHAELSMITCHZ/ JERMAINE ELUMUNOR
NYJ: JOHN SIMPSON/ JOE TIPPMANN/ ALIJAH VERATUCKER
PHI: TYLER STEEN/ CAM JERGUNS/ LANDON DICKERSON
PIT: JAMES DANIELS/ ZACH FRAISER/ ISSAC SEUMALO
SEA: LAKEN TOMLINSON/ NICK HARRIS/ ANTHONY BRADFORD
SFF: JON FELICIANO/ JAKE BRENDEL/ AARON BANKS
TBB: CODY MAUCH/ GRAHM BARTON/ BEN BREDESON
TEN: PETER SKRONSKI/ LLOYD CUSHENBERRY/ DANIEL BRUNSKILL
WAS: SAM COSMI/ TYLER BLADASZ/ NICK ALLIGRETTI

TOP FA’s: CONNOR WILLIAMS/ GABE JACKSON/ GREG VAN ROTEN/ TRAI TURNER

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Frank Booth - 07-11-2024

20th-26th

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Joelist - 07-11-2024

They've been middle of the pack but I want to see what they do in an offense that does not telegraph the play and just sit endlessly in shotgun. The limited sample size last season for this indicated they will thrive in a scheme with some balance.

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Whatever - 07-11-2024

Had to go 20-26. Cappa and Karras are decent starters but Volson is utter trash.

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Housh - 07-11-2024

I think Mims is gonna find himself starting at guard this year

I just don’t see us sitting a guy whose so much better than Volson

If anything I’d rather try Trent Brown or Mims at guard

Volson right now is a top end backup

He’s not a starter unless he took a step this offseason

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - BFritz21 - 07-11-2024

Voted 20-26 but, if we kick Mims inside for Volson, it could be a lot better.

I do think that lining up under center and being less predictable could pay off big in terms of helping our IOL, but any expectations that high have no base in reality right now.

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Sled21 - 07-12-2024

Please stop with the "Kick Mims inside to guard" crap. He's 6'8" tall for crying out loud. He's too tall to play that position effectively, and we desperately need him to concentrate on being a starting tackle, not dicking around trying to learn to play guard. I realize some of you love to hate on Volson and will never change, but when Browning went in last year and played from under center, there was a several-game stretch where our inside 3 were rated #1 in the league.

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Soonerpeace - 07-12-2024

(07-12-2024, 08:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Please stop with the "Kick Mims inside to guard" crap. He's 6'8" tall for crying out loud. He's too tall to play that position effectively, and we desperately need him to concentrate on being a starting tackle, not dicking around trying to learn to play guard. I realize some of you love to hate on Volson and will never change, but when Browning went in last year and played from under center, there was a several-game stretch where our inside 3 were rated #1 in the league.

For sure he’s way too tall

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - SunsetBengal - 07-12-2024

(07-12-2024, 11:45 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: For sure he’s way too tall

Yep, he'd likely finish the season with 27 passes defensed, with the back of his head...

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Wyche'sWarrior - 07-12-2024

I'm going to go 18 or 19 with room to improve..... hopefully.

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Joelist - 07-12-2024

(07-12-2024, 08:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Please stop with the "Kick Mims inside to guard" crap. He's 6'8" tall for crying out loud. He's too tall to play that position effectively, and we desperately need him to concentrate on being a starting tackle, not dicking around trying to learn to play guard. I realize some of you love to hate on Volson and will never change, but when Browning went in last year and played from under center, there was a several-game stretch where our inside 3 were rated #1 in the league.

Exactly. In a real way the IOL had two very different halves of the season. Early on they struggled while Burrow's calf made him immobile and they had to run almost 100% out of shotgun. Once the calf healed and after that with Browning the run-pass balance and the shotgun-under center balance both improved and the IOL prospered (indeed the entire line did). 

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-12-2024

Voted middle of the pack 13-19 with a chance to be even better with improvement from Volson and a healthy Burrow playing
under Center much more this season. While I do think Mims could play LG if Volson doesn't improve I agree that Mims is really
tall and would be hard to see over or throw the ball over. The thing with Mims is he can get really low with his great balance
which would help the argument for him playing at LG and he is extremely athletic for a man his size.

I also completely understand Sled's argument on keeping Mims concentrating on RT instead of another position. I think with
Trent Brown's history he will be playing starting snaps as a rookie at RT anyways.

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - bfine32 - 07-12-2024

Please stop with the "Mims can't play OG" crap. Johnathan Ogden (6'9") played LG his rookie season and did quite well. Also I believe it really didn't hamper his future progress as a LT.

I realize some of you love to love on Volson and will never change, no matter what film and statistics show. 

I'm all about getting the 5 best olinemen on the field

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - jason - 07-12-2024

(07-12-2024, 01:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Voted middle of the pack 13-19 with a chance to be even better with improvement from Volson and a healthy Burrow playing
under Center much more this season. While I do think Mims could play LG if Volson doesn't improve I agree that Mims is really
tall and would be hard to see over or throw the ball over. The thing with Mims is he can get really low with his great balance
which would help the argument for him playing at LG and he is extremely athletic for a man his size.

I also completely understand Sled's argument on keeping Mims concentrating on RT instead of another position. I think with
Trent Brown's history he will be playing starting snaps as a rookie at RT anyways.

We've not had much luck with inserting tackles in to play guard. Having said that, I do want the best possible OL out there, and Volson isn't cutting it for me... So I dunno. I do agree with you that Mims will almost certainly be taking snaps at RT at some point this season if not right outta the gate.

(07-12-2024, 11:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, he'd likely finish the season with 27 passes defensed, with the back of his head...

Volson is 6'6".

Which is easier to throw over. A 6'6" guy in your lap or a 6'8" holding the pocket?

Back on task: My top 5:

CLV
KCC
DET
IND
PHI

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Whatever - 07-13-2024

These rankings truly blow me away. For the past few seasons, I've heard folks harp on the poor RAS scores for the OL, as well as ditching zone and running more gap-power concepts. Well, almost any NFL caliber OL can run gap-power unless they're very undersized. Not everyone can run outside zone. The fact that people are screaming for more under center gap-power is a symptom of an untalented IOL group that struggles mightily to make second level blocks. This isn't a middle of the pack IOL. It's a below average one that people are trying to camouflage with concept changes.

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - bengalfan74 - 07-13-2024

(07-12-2024, 12:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm going to go 18 or 19 with room to improve..... hopefully.

That's me

I'm hoping with the new additions we can jump up above the middle, but........

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-13-2024

(07-12-2024, 07:38 PM)jason Wrote: We've not had much luck with inserting tackles in to play guard. Having said that, I do want the best possible OL out there, and Volson isn't cutting it for me... So I dunno. I do agree with you that Mims will almost certainly be taking snaps at RT at some point this season if not right outta the gate.

Well that was with players where there was a question if they could play on either side. Mims OL coach at Georgia said he can play every 
position except Center. He can play with both hands on either side of the line and has the athleticism to play anywhere. I also want the 5 
best OL out there, but I think that will be Volson as I think he improves this Offseason and finally makes the jump to being consistent.

Trent Brown will probably sit out the preseason to be 100% for the opener and he will be the starting RT though. Trent Brown is a top 
swing Tackle when healthy. He just has a problem staying healthy and most likely will get hurt this season sooner or later and Mims will 
get his chance at RT.

(07-12-2024, 09:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Volson is 6'6".

Which is easier to throw over. A 6'6" guy in your lap or a 6'8" holding the pocket?

Yeah, it isn't like Volson is a midget or something lol

RE: RANK OUR IOL (2024) - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-13-2024

(07-13-2024, 11:27 AM)Whatever Wrote: These rankings truly blow me away.  For the past few seasons, I've heard folks harp on the poor RAS scores for the OL, as well as ditching zone and running more gap-power concepts.  Well, almost any NFL caliber OL can run gap-power unless they're very undersized.  Not everyone can run outside zone.  The fact that people are screaming for more under center gap-power is a symptom of an untalented IOL group that struggles mightily to make second level blocks.  This isn't a middle of the pack IOL.  It's a below average one that people are trying to camouflage with concept changes.

Disagree as does PFF mid to late last season. This IOL had a stretch being one of the best in the NFL so it is not out of the question that 
with more under Center play from the QB that they could be mid pack lol

Haven't seen anyone saying they are even top 10 here. We are really overrating our IOL by saying they might be middle of the pack lol