Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (https://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? (/thread-38813.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - ochocincos - 08-14-2024

(08-13-2024, 11:47 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: John Mackey Award (2008)
Consensus All-American (2008)
2× First-team All-Big 12 (2006, 2008)
Second-team All-Big 12 (2007)

247 collegiate catches for 2659 yards and 30 tds.  As a senior  90, 987 and 10.

3rd round pick by the bengals.  Played 6 games, as a bengal, catching 3 balls for 30 yards.

Hung around the NFL for 6 years totaling 5 teams.  Career stats 18 catches for 177 yards and 2 tds.

I give you Chase Coffman.

I do think Coffman would have done much better in a different era/team.
Bengals clearly wanted their TEs to be blockers first and foremost, and Coffman couldn't do that.
He stood straight up and down like a wedding d**k.
That Hard Knocks moment will live forever lol

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - CottonHill - 08-14-2024

Reggie Myles

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - 3wt - 08-14-2024

(08-13-2024, 04:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pete Koch  

I remember this guy.  2nd round pick I believe.   Thought he was going to be a beast.   Looked like Tarzan; played like Jane.

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - StoneTheCrow - 08-14-2024

David Dunn
Ben Utecht
Antonio Chatman
Keiwan Ratliff

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - KillerGoose - 08-14-2024

Maurice Purify, the original Auden Tate. I remember folks talking about potentially moving him to TE since he was a big bodied WR.

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - 3wt - 08-14-2024

Kirby Criswell
Freddie Childress

And I was wrong about Pete Koch. He was a first rounder!

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - coachmcneil71 - 08-14-2024

I wouldn't call him obscure per say, a 7th rounder, but a dude that doesn't get mentioned often and was pivotal to the Bengals success in the early 80s, Louis Breeden.

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - rupethereitis - 08-14-2024

Here's one for you. Reggie Rembert. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Rembert

His 19.5 yards per reception at WVU had everyone excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wOFefPOpn8

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - Hammerstripes - 08-14-2024

A few of my favorites:

Armegis Spearman
John Walsh

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - Awful Llama - 08-14-2024

Danny Farmer. Spent a few seasons here and only had one career TD reception, but it was in a win versus the Steelers.

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - jason - 08-14-2024

(08-14-2024, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I do think Coffman would have done much better in a different era/team.
Bengals clearly wanted their TEs to be blockers first and foremost, and Coffman couldn't do that.
He stood straight up and down like a wedding d**k.
That Hard Knocks moment will live forever lol

Marvin's giggle when he called him Crash Dummy was priceless...

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-14-2024

lol half these guys aren't obscure

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - rfaulk34 - 08-14-2024

Here's one very few, if any will remember. 

Flyin' Brian Pillman. 

Interesting facts:
Graduated Norwood High School (city i work in) and was a good friend of my boss growing up. 
Went to Miami (OH) and was a good player but struggled academically.
He was roommates with John Harbaugh while at Miami.
Undrafted and signed with the Bengals as a FA in '84. Didn't make the final cut.

Just so happens i got season tickets in '84 and vividly remember watching him running down the field in preseason on ST like a madman. He was one of those fan favorites due to his effort and being from around here. 

EDIT: Or he was cut and then re-signed at some point. I'm gonna need to text my boss and see if he remembers...

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - rfaulk34 - 08-14-2024

(08-14-2024, 01:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lol half these guys aren't obscure

Yeah. I was kind of looking more for names that don't really come to mind often (or at all as in my OP), but have some kind of story to them. 

A few more off the top of my head.

Mentioning Purify, made me think of Mario Urrutia, the super-tall (6'6, IIRC) WR who was also talked about being moved to TE.

Part-time punters Brad Costello and Travis Dorsch.

Also, one-monther, Kevin Jordan, at WR.

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - Whatever - 08-14-2024

(08-14-2024, 01:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's one very few, if any will remember. 

Flyin' Brian Pillman. 

Interesting facts:
Graduated Norwood High School (city i work in) and was a good friend of my boss growing up. 
Undrafted and signed with the Bengals as a FA in '84. Didn't make the final cut.

Just so happens i got season tickets in '84 and vividly remember watching him running down the field in preseason on ST like a madman. He was one of those fan favorites due to his effort and being from around here. 

EDIT: Or he was cut and then re-signed at some point. I'm gonna need to text my boss and see if he remembers...

Pillman actually won the Ed Block Courage Award during his line season with the Bengals.  

Another fun fact is he was roommates with Ravens HC John Harbaugh in college.

Obviously, way better known for his pro wrestling accomplishments, though.

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - ochocincos - 08-14-2024

(08-14-2024, 01:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's one very few, if any will remember. 

Flyin' Brian Pillman. 

Interesting facts:

RIP to someone who could very well have been a legend in WWE

I am embarrassed to not know that Pillman was a Cincinnati native and Miami alum.
I do know that Macho Man once played for the Reds and was an Ohio guy though.

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - bfine32 - 08-14-2024

(08-14-2024, 11:22 AM)3wt Wrote: I remember this guy.  2nd round pick I believe.   Thought he was going to be a beast.   Looked like Tarzan; played like Jane.

1st RD pick out of Maryland. In the 2nd round that year, we took his college QB. Blond-haired kid named Norman.

Koch is best known for playing Swede in Heartbreak Ridge

Flyin' Brian Pillman. 

Interesting facts:

(08-14-2024, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: RIP to someone who could very well have been a legend in WWE

I am embarrassed to not know that Pillman was a Cincinnati native and Miami alum.

[Image: tumblr_oamk4fepLc1vaosveo2_r1_400.gif]

Sullivan died last week as well, though he was a Patriots fan Wink

RE: Obscure Bengals, who ya got? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-14-2024

(08-14-2024, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: RIP to someone who could very well have been a legend in WWE

I didn't know that. Wild.  Shocked