Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Dax Hill is a certified bum - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (https://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Dax Hill is a certified bum (/thread-38973.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Dax Hill is a certified bum - Nepa - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 08:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Seriously? Good lord. Let's at least get to the halfway mark before we get crazy. I'm pissed too. I get it. But we start this way every year. Game tape will show how bad we suck. Then the Chiefs will really hand us one massive ass whipping. Maybe then, we get it together. Who knows, but damn, week one? Don't be that guy.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I expect the Bengals to make a game of it with the Chiefs. This past Sunday was an embarrassment. But I'd be surprised if the Bengals starters don't bring their A (or at least B+) game on Sunday's almost-primetime game. They certainly should be focused at practice this week. And KC might watch the Bengals-Patriots game film and think this will be a pushover -- like the Bengals probably thought about the Patriots. Not saying the Bengals will win. But I think the game will be competitive and a much improved Bengals team.

RE: Dax Hill is a certified bum - coachmcneil71 - 09-09-2024

(09-08-2024, 05:30 PM)matmaven Wrote: Have never hated 2 Bengals picks more than Dax Hill and Jackson Carmen.  Well, also hated the Cedric O/Eric Fisher draft.

Hill is terrible in man to man and misses many, many tackles.  Seems to always be lost in coverage.

Not disputing you really but I would like to add an all-time great to this list and add John Ross.

RE: Dax Hill is a certified bum - Ell Prez - 09-10-2024

(09-09-2024, 11:09 PM)Nepa Wrote: Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I expect the Bengals to make a game of it with the Chiefs. This past Sunday was an embarrassment. But I'd be surprised if the Bengals starters don't bring their A (or at least B+) game on Sunday's almost-primetime game. They certainly should be focused at practice this week. And KC might watch the Bengals-Patriots game film and think this will be a pushover -- like the Bengals probably thought about the Patriots. Not saying the Bengals will win. But I think the game will be competitive and a much improved Bengals team.

Should we praise them for B+ effort? We want W’s. This board takes about this being a Super Bowl team. And now we’re talking about, well they should be competitive at least.

KC will stomp us 34-13. We could be 1-4 going in to Baltimore. If we’re 2-2, so we feel good? Our only 2 wins come against Washington and Carolina. Only thing that would make up for this embarrassment of a loss is 3-1 going in to Baltimore game. I’d take that, but it’s not happening

RE: Dax Hill is a certified bum - ochocincos - 09-10-2024

PFF rated Hill a 77.0 in coverage in Sunday's game, FWIW. Only a 72.9 passer rating allowed.
He was tagged with 2 missed tackles though, which is what most people noticed.
Overall PFF grade of 71.9 when factoring in the missed tackles and run defense.

Why is it some are so quick to bash one dude new to a position but will give other guys a pass who have been playing a position for years and still not doing well at it?

I'll reiterate something I have in years past...Leon Hall got absolutely lit up early in his rookie season at outside CB, and he turned into a really damn good CB.
Many players go through growing pains their first year at a position in the league.

Let's give Hill at least a few games before calling him a bum and calling for him to the bench or worse.
Besides, what's the alternative? DJ Turner or Josh Newton, who couldn't beat Hill in the preseason anyway?

Bengals could always bring back Eli Apple if Hill struggles and they don't have confidence in Turner/Newton being much better.

RE: Dax Hill is a certified bum - Synric - 09-10-2024

Bengals were run blitziing alot on early downs which compensates for lacking a true NT. Of course if you lose outside contain the runs will be longer but it also creates more negative play opportunities in run defense. Bengals were not tacking advantage of those opportunities with alot of broken tackles in the backfield and missed contain tackles.

RE: Dax Hill is a certified bum - Nicomo Cosca - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 09:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: PFF rated Hill a 77.0 in coverage in Sunday's game, FWIW. Only a 72.9 passer rating allowed.
He was tagged with 2 missed tackles though, which is what most people noticed.
Overall PFF grade of 71.9 when factoring in the missed tackles and run defense.

Why is it some are so quick to bash one dude new to a position but will give other guys a pass who have been playing a position for years and still not doing well at it?

I'll reiterate something I have in years past...Leon Hall got absolutely lit up early in his rookie season at outside CB, and he turned into a really damn good CB.
Many players go through growing pains their first year at a position in the league.

Let's give Hill at least a few games before calling him a bum and calling for him to the bench or worse.
Besides, what's the alternative? DJ Turner or Josh Newton, who couldn't beat Hill in the preseason anyway?

Bengals could always bring back Eli Apple if Hill struggles and they don't have confidence in Turner/Newton being much better.

Brisett barely threw in that game, so the coverage grade doesn’t really mean much, imo. As for slamming Dax after one game, position move or not he’s still in year 3. I just hope we aren’t venturing into John Ross “he’s basically still a rookie” territory with the excuses after 33 NFL games.

But was the thread reactionary? Yeah, it was. Will I be super happy to eat crow for making it if he ends up becoming a good CB? Absolutely.

RE: Dax Hill is a certified bum - ochocincos - 09-10-2024

(09-10-2024, 10:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Brisett barely threw in that game, so the coverage grade doesn’t really mean much, imo. As for slamming Dax after one game, position move or not he’s still in year 3. I just hope we aren’t venturing into John Ross “he’s basically still a rookie” territory with the excuses after 33 NFL games.

But was the thread reactionary? Yeah, it was. Will I be super happy to eat crow for making it if he ends up becoming a good CB? Absolutely.

I'm not saying Hill is going to be great either.
However, I do disagree that just because a player has been in the league 2 years prior and played 1222 snaps at safety, he does deserve some leeway when being moved to a completely different position. It's not reasonable to expect that someone will make a seamless transition their first real game in the new position.

I think of someone like Cordarrelle Patterson who moved from WR to RB after 8 years in the league.
He was very much NOT a good WR.
ATL decided to try him at RB, and he took a bit to get going at that new position.
However, he started putting up 80+ yards from scrimmage pretty regularly into that 2021 season once he started getting familiar with the position. It was Week 3/4 when he started getting comfortable.
And he ended up having a solid couple years at 30 and 31 years old at RB.

If Hill hasn't cleaned up his issues after September, I'm ok with trying someone else, but let's at least give him a couple more games please.

RE: Dax Hill is a certified bum - Wyche'sWarrior - 09-10-2024

(09-08-2024, 06:22 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It's a short list. You can add McPherson to the successful column.

Pratt....

(09-08-2024, 08:49 PM)Housh Wrote: I don’t think soft means you get in there and let a guy drag you for 5 yards.

Least he jumped in there and was willing to risk getting dragged.

Soft means he doesn’t even get in those interactions cause he’s afraid of getting drug.

I think what you mean is we just aren’t very good. We’ve got hardworking, tough mofos, they just aren’t that good.

Hilton is great but there’s a reason we’re likely moving on from him. Aside from the occasionally flashy TFL he’s not special. CTB decent at coverage but he’s actually trended downward on that since last year and only an average tackler and average ball skills. Nothing super special.

Logan Wilson, great in coverage but too bad he plays linebacker and not safety. Cause aside from nice coverage i don’t recognize him.

CTB was going for the strip. I even saw him motion to the sidelines that what he was doing after the play. Someone must've chewed him out for it.

(09-09-2024, 09:56 PM)samhain Wrote: Agree on all points, but when in this era have the boundary corners that were legit studs?  Lou has had an elite safety tandem and also one of the better slot corners in the league.  The boundary guys have ranged from pretty good to scrap heap.  Awuzie had a good year or two, but IMO declined last year.  CTB was an excellent pick, but certainly not elite.  Apple held things down for a long time despite his shortcomings.  

IMO, at it's best, Lou's defenses are built to bend but not break.  They give up lots of yards but hold scoring to a minimum.  They are constructed to keep great teams from putting up 30 in January.  IMO they did this with the expectation that the offense would be hanging 30 on the entire league week in and week out.  They're never going to be like the other teams in the division, because ideally the offense is supposed to take some pressure off of them.  

This....