Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
David Bell's status for 2025 - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (https://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: General Sports (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-90.html)
+--- Forum: Cincinnati Reds (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: David Bell's status for 2025 (/thread-38796.html)

David Bell's status for 2025 - BengalsFanInNOKY - 08-11-2024

What do you all think?

Thru August 10th overall record is 389-436. 

RE: David Bell's status for 2025 - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 08-11-2024

(08-11-2024, 03:03 PM)BengalsFanInNOKY Wrote: What do you all think?

Thru August 10th overall record is 389-436. 

I would have never hired him.

Krall will not fire him unless he's told to do it, they'll both go down together. This is the same GM where their best defensive outfielder for two seasons was relief pitcher Michael Lorenzen.

If you still think David Bell is bad NOW, I can honestly tell you that he was much, much worse before the DH, restrictions of the shift and the ghost runner in extra innings saved him from himself. I've referenced this here before, I'm also an Angels fan and I disagreed with Mike Scioscia maaaaaaybe three times in 19 seasons . . . I disagreed with Bell three times a game most of the time before the DH eliminated his need to butcher the double switch. Outside of Suarez, Votto and Winker, you were probably only getting two plate appearances because the rest of the team was either coming off of the bench or getting subbed out. Nobody was really getting four or five plate appearances for a week or two to get a feel for the game.

I like stats . . . to a point. If I was a manager and had the budget to have a stats guy next to me, I'd do it. But it seems that Bell LIVES by stats and righty-lefty matchups. Watching Reds games, it appears robotic and that he has zero gut instinct or feel for the game. He's VERY predictable and has a strange faith in failing relief pitchers and is late to recognize their obvious weaknesses. Yet, he will not show the same faith in his starting pitchers in the middle of an inning. Most of these guys don't know how to get out of trouble because Bell has no feel for the game and pulls them at the first tough situation after the fourth inning because "statistics". Outside of Greene, he has no "OK, son. Show me what you got" in a tough situation with his starters, but will do that with Cruz, Farmer and Wilson for some stupid reason.

And as a pitcher, the shift forces me to pitch into a hitter's strength. With the shift, if I actually make a left handed hitter hit 'my pitch', he'll get a slow rolling double down by the third baseline with David Bell forcing the third baseman to play SS because he has more faith in their hitter than he does in my pitching. Instead of a routine groundball to third base, I'm now in trouble strictly because of our style of play. Most of what I would have learned to get to that level would have to get thrown out. 

Basically, under David Bell, you're just an athlete that's asked to perform tasks instead of just being a baseball player.

RE: David Bell's status for 2025 - TheLeonardLeap - 08-11-2024

He'll get promoted to a FO role, and his son or nephew or someone like that will be hired to be the new manager.

[Image: david-byrne-same-as-it-ever-was.gif]

RE: David Bell's status for 2025 - bengalfan74 - 08-11-2024

I would love for Bell to be shown the door. Like vinyl I can't stand his management style.

But I doubt he goes anywhere.