Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Done negotiating Chase's extension? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (https://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (https://thebengalsboard.com/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Done negotiating Chase's extension? (/thread-38999.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Done negotiating Chase's extension? - ClarkHarris4Prez - 09-09-2024

Sooo I know we usually dont negotiate during the season but I would HOPE this is an excemption. I've heard no updates though. Does anyone know if they are still negotiating or have they truly said "We will wait til after the season." If that is the case Mike Brown is a bigger joke than I thought. All the other teams with Recievers in this situation somehow got their extensions settled. For us not to is Mike Brown being a stubborn POS and spitting in the fans faces. To let this go into the season is despicable. If you aren't going to trade him PAY HIM.

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - wildcatnku24 - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:04 PM)ClarkHarris4Prez Wrote: Sooo I know we usually dont negotiate during the season but I would HOPE this is an excemption. I've heard no updates though. Does anyone know if they are still negotiating or have they truly said "We will wait til after the season." If that is the case Mike Brown is a bigger joke than I thought. All the other teams with Recievers in this situation somehow got their extensions settled. For us not to is Mike Brown being a stubborn POS and spitting in the fans faces. To let this go into the season is despicable. If you aren't going to trade him PAY HIM.

I've also thought about this.  I would prefer we lock him up sooner than later, but mostly because his price likely goes up at the end of this year.  We don't know how any of the negotiations have gone.  Chase seems to be a good dude, but the business side of football can be nasty.  I find it hard to believe we didn't do everything in our power to lock him up prior to yesterday.  Burrow to Chase relationship and chemistry is just too special.  Whether it happens this season or not, I don't think there's a world where we don't get him inked eventually.  

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - Daddy-O - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:04 PM)ClarkHarris4Prez Wrote: Sooo I know we usually dont negotiate during the season but I would HOPE this is an excemption. I've heard no updates though. Does anyone know if they are still negotiating or have they truly said "We will wait til after the season." If that is the case Mike Brown is a bigger joke than I thought. All the other teams with Recievers in this situation somehow got their extensions settled. For us not to is Mike Brown being a stubborn POS and spitting in the fans faces. To let this go into the season is despicable. If you aren't going to trade him PAY HIM.

I just heard they are done negotiating for the year, will pick up next year.  We'll see if that's the case.

I also heard the offer they made is significant and Chase didn't sign it.  Not sure if that's true but Chase does have 2 more years on his contract so go out and bet on yourself.  Then come back next year and sign for a bigger amount.

For all we know Chase is not being reasonable.  If he wants well over market I wouldn't do the deal either if I'm the Bengals.  Prove that your the best if you want to be paid that way.

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - THE PISTONS - 09-09-2024

The risk is that more WR's sign bigger contracts.

Honestly though, Chase wants to be the highest paid WR so the numbers are out there. They would have did it if they were willing to.

I wonder if they turn to trying to sign Tee because he's cheaper?

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - THE PISTONS - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:11 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I've also thought about this.  I would prefer we lock him up sooner than later, but mostly because his price likely goes up at the end of this year.  We don't know how any of the negotiations have gone.  Chase seems to be a good dude, but the business side of football can be nasty.  I find it hard to believe we didn't do everything in our power to lock him up prior to yesterday.  Burrow to Chase relationship and chemistry is just too special.  Whether it happens this season or not, I don't think there's a world where we don't get him inked eventually.  

He's a good dude, but he wants to be the highest paid WR in football and all the guaranteed money most likely.

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - Sled21 - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:12 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: I just heard they are done negotiating for the year, will pick up next year.  We'll see if that's the case.

I also heard the offer they made is significant and Chase didn't sign it.  Not sure if that's true but Chase does have 2 more years on his contract so go out and bet on yourself.  Then come back next year and sign for a bigger amount.

For all we know Chase is not being reasonable.  If he wants well over market I wouldn't do the deal either if I'm the Bengals.  Prove that your the best if you want to be paid that way.
Don't you just love how people just assume it's the Bengal who are being unreasonable. From what I heard they offered the number Chase wanted and his agent didn't like the way it was structured. BTW, anyone buying the "food poisoning" excuse?

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - Mickeypoo - 09-09-2024

So the Bengals org running as normal.  Check.

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - Southpaw Frerotte - 09-09-2024

So basically all the time spent on negotiations up until this point have been a waste of time. Fast forward to next year, the FO and Chase will be going back and forth up until the 25th hour trying to finalize a deal...again.

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - Frank Booth - 09-09-2024

Chase just wants to be paid more than Jefferson. It's a rivalry between he and JJ that is now a distraction to the team

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - ClarkHarris4Prez - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:28 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: So basically all the time spent on negotiations up until this point have been a waste of time.  Fast forward to next year, the FO and Chase will be going back and forth up until the 25th hour trying to finalize a deal...again.

Yup, so now we've got another 363 days of this shit to look forward to. Great job Mike Brown. Hope letting this cancer linger in your locker room for another year is worth POSSIBLY saving a couple million. What an absolute joke this franchise is. Until Mikey is 6 feet under this team will never completely change from their stubborn, ancient ways. We are an absolute joke to the rest of the league. And to the fanbase. I'm not spending another dime on Bengals merch or tickets until Chase is signed. And I wish more of you would do the same. Stop filling that stadium. Don't support an owner who isn't willing to do the most basic things to show us he really cares about winning a super bowl.

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - Southpaw Frerotte - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:47 PM)ClarkHarris4Prez Wrote: Yup, so now we've got another 363 days of this shit to look forward to. Great job Mike Brown. Hope letting this cancer linger in your locker room for another year is worth POSSIBLY saving a couple million. What an absolute joke this franchise is. Until Mikey is 6 feet under this team will never completely change from their stubborn, ancient ways. We are an absolute joke to the rest of the league. And to the fanbase. I'm not spending another dime on Bengals merch or tickets until Chase is signed. And I wish more of you would do the same. Stop filling that stadium. Don't support an owner who isn't willing to do the most basic things to show us he really cares about winning a super bowl.

...You must have not been around for the 90's and early 2000's.  

(09-09-2024, 02:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't you just love how people just assume it's the Bengal who are being unreasonable. From what I heard they offered the number Chase wanted and his agent didn't like the way it was structured. BTW, anyone buying the "food poisoning" excuse?

Not for a millisecond.

(09-09-2024, 02:49 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: ...You must have not been around for the 90's and early 2000's.  

lmao!!!   I had to check the date of the post.   That sounded eerily familiar.  Thought I traveled back in time for a second.   lol.

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - ClarkHarris4Prez - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:49 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: ...You must have not been around for the 90's and early 2000's.  

I was a kid during the 90's...Really started watching consistently in my teens in the early 2000's So I do know the history. Its just frustrating because we never had a Joe Burrow or Chase in the 90's. Mike Brown deserves every bit of hate he's ever gotten. I take it personal. His know it all attitude while delivering NOTHING and acting like Fans couldn't possibly understand how the business works disgusts me. 

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - NUGDUKWE - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:28 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Chase just wants to be paid more than Jefferson. It's a rivalry between he and JJ that is now a distraction to the team

Latest report is the were agreed on APY but couldn't agree on the guaranteed money. 

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - Whatever - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't you just love how people just assume it's the Bengal who are being unreasonable. From what I heard they offered the number Chase wanted and his agent didn't like the way it was structured. BTW, anyone buying the "food poisoning" excuse?

Because we've failed to sign/resign guys over and over through the years due to contract structure.

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - DesertBengal - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 02:28 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: So basically all the time spent on negotiations up until this point have been a waste of time.  Fast forward to next year, the FO and Chase will be going back and forth up until the 25th hour trying to finalize a deal...again.

Selfishly I wanted the deal to get done so we don't have to live through all this drama again next offseason...  and I don't trust Chase and the Bengals FO to get this deal done in March or April, before it starts becoming a annoying again.

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - Mgbrown66 - 09-09-2024

next year it will be a hold out, not hold in. But the same result.

And then wait until the year after that, when they franchise tag him!!

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - fisherscatfan - 09-09-2024

(09-09-2024, 03:10 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Latest report is the were agreed on APY but couldn't agree on the guaranteed money. 

Is the guaranteed amount required to be funded via an escrow account? I have read online both yes and no. If yes then the Bengals are at a disadvantage just based on the wealth of the owners in the league.

I understand the players position and the owners did this to themselves by signing players to contracts and subsequently cutting them and not having to honor the “contract”. If I am a player, I want to know that we are agreeing to terms and BOTH sides must honor. Player holdouts should be met with heavy fines penalties/suspensions if the contract must be honored by both sides. Contracts should be collateralized by the ownership shares. Teams aren’t going broke so if an owner doesn’t honor the contract, they are fined by the league that amount or must sell the team.

If the Bengals and Chase agreed to total pay and the Browns can’t comfortably swallow the escrow requirement(if required), then the Bengals are screwed for the near future.

RE: Done negotiating Chase's extension? - samhain - 09-09-2024

If they can't figure this out, it's going to get really ugly this offseason.

Ja'marr and his agent can ask for whatever they want, but there's a huge risk to digging in. If the team had a contract with an annual value higher than JJ's on the table, there's a lot of room for regret if Chase does not meet expectations. If, god forbid, he gets hurt in a way that impacts his long-term career, then ouch.

We all hope that they team's performance yesterday was all rust and turnovers. It wouldn't be the first time. If it's indicative of the kind of team they actually are (even with Chase), then I think they have to entertain the idea of getting something for him before he leaves.

This team could have major personnel issues on both offense and defense. It might be time to enter the second iteration of the Taylor Burrow era rather than sink insane money into a guy in Chase that you aren't winning with anyway. Get some young, hungry wideouts with something to prove again. You'll have the picks to do it if things really go that sideways. Get some young blood and spend that (potential) 40 mil per on revamping the defense in FA.