D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021
For all of you who were too busy fighting over Chase and Sewell, instead of hoping the Falcons didn't take Pitts:

[Image: aN0mHvi.gif]

LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm a huge fan of the McPherson pick, but I don't like when people pull the ol' "coach knows more than you" card. For one, we may as well shut the board down if we just agree with every move the Bengals make. Secondly, people only use this when it's convenient. When they like a move and want to justify it.

No it's not just convenient.  It's a fact in this case.

And feel free to go looking for any other post I've made, ever, where I've used this argument.......you'll be looking for a long time.

So nice constructive reply, but there's some fish over there....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: For all of you who were too busy fighting over Chase and Sewell, instead of hoping the Falcons didn't take Pitts:

LOL

It will be  good thing to have moved on from the draft and focused on the next part of the pre-season.  Maybe we'll even be down to one Chase vs. Sewell thread per day instead of five per day.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: For all of you who were too busy fighting over Chase and Sewell, instead of hoping the Falcons didn't take Pitts:

LOL

True, but I think "most" people on here are fairly knowledgeable and do their homework.

We just have different opinions.

(05-02-2021, 01:53 PM)Stewy Wrote: No it's not just convenient.  It's a fact in this case.

And feel free to go looking for any other post I've made, ever, where I've used this argument.......you'll be looking for a long time.

So nice constructive reply, but there's some fish over there....

You do you, Stewy Griffin.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You do you, Stewy Griffin.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:45 AM)Benton Wrote: By reports I mean stories, social media, etc. Basically, it's a shorter way of saying "according to second hand information."

Since neither one of them will return the thousands of calls, letters and emails I've sent asking if they want to hang out in my basement, reports are all I've got to go by.

I mean you could have watched them play together in 2019, and use common sense. That probably would have told you they had chemistry. You’re thinking too hard.
Reply/Quote
I went with C+. With a top 5 pick they did get a game changer there and that is to be expected. The team went with the WR over the LT and I have no problem with that at all.

After that the team looks like Carson who could become the starting LG, a position of need. I'd rather have had Teven Jenkins than Carson and the picks.

I don't see anything bad in the draft, but I also didn't get that they did any better than I could have.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:33 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I went with C+. With a top 5 pick they did get a game changer there and that is to be expected. The team went with the WR over the LT and I have no problem with that at all.

After that the team looks like Carson who could become the starting LG, a position of need. I'd rather have had Teven Jenkins than Carson and the picks.

I don't see anything bad in the draft, but I also didn't get that they did any better than I could have.

No offense, but how much do you really know about a guy you keep getting the name wrong on? It’s Jackson Carman.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No offense, but how much do you really know about a guy you keep getting the name wrong on? It’s Jackson Carman.

Obviously, he's not on my like list.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No offense, but how much do you really know about a guy you keep getting the name wrong on? It’s Jackson Carman.

Let's be honest. The dude has 2 last names, and a misspelling of the name Carmen. Even Zac Taylor was screwing it up.

Hopefully Carmen will go down with Bengals legends such as Dillion, Collingsworth, Boiling, Pickins and AC Green.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Let's be honest. The dude has 2 last names, and a misspelling of the name Carmen. Even Zac Taylor was screwing it up.

Hopefully Carmen will go down with Bengals legends such as Dillion, Collingsworth, Boiling, Pickins and AC Green.

None are more famous than AC Green.  Great forward.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Let's be honest. The dude has 2 last names, and a misspelling of the name Carmen. Even Zac Taylor was screwing it up.

I can understand spelling it with an E, but “Carson” is pretty far off...

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I can understand spelling it with an E, but “Carson” is pretty far off...

Probably autocorrect in his phone. Being a Bengals fan, I'm sure he's typed the word "Carson" quite a few times.
Reply/Quote
I voted A....Bengals got Burrow to Chase combo to add to Boyd and Higgins. Boyd and Higgins could be Double Teamed. NOT NOW. ....We also got best kicker in Draft....but Most Of All, Bengals used 8 Picks on THE TRENCHES were Bengals are Weakest Team in NFL. Bengals have been WEAK in The Trenches last 4 years and why they get pushed around and lose so much.

So THE KEY here is all the O Line, D Line, D Line / LB brought in by Draft. Plus Bengals Free Agency addressed Trenches and drafts under Taylor have brought in Jonah Williams and some Trenches. So I feel The Bengals can now put on The Big Boy Pants, Muscle Up, and not get their butts kicked up and down the field. 8 Picks In The Trenches is exactly what Bengals needed, and so I give it an A Grade.

Bengals could not Block or Tackle last 3 or 4 years, and basic football is if you don't block, don't tackle, you don't win. 8 Picks to bring in Blocking and Tackling. Protect our QB, Get after their QB. I give the Draft Plan an A....Oh Yes, GO BENGALS

I'll add Ohio State Coach Earl Bruce rated the Nations best recruiting class, but they had a bad season. Bruce went to ex coach Woody Hayes and asked what went wrong. Woody said, " you got all finesse players, not enough BIG BOYS to Block and Tackle ".
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 12:32 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: It's not ZT's draft but DT's.

Those reaches you cite were both coached and vouched for by former long-serving Bengals - Carman by Paul Alexander and Willie Anderson; McPherson by Shayne Graham - who'd left long before Zac arrived but would have known Tobin well.

Shelvin was another who was coached by a former long term Bengal coach in Kevin Coyle. The rest were almost all players who shined at the Senior Bowl (which Tobin attended alongside Taylor).

We are overly reliant on input from former Bengals because our scouting is the thinnest in the league by far. Not saying they are wrong here, but just pointing out my worry about the weight given to those opinions. If we had more scouts (or any)....

And again, it isn't saying Carman stinks or saying Simmons can't prefer a different kicker to Borregales. I am just pointing out that Borregales went undrafted and was the #1 kicker on a lot of boards. Hence, I think 5th rd was a reach for the kicker. Carman in rd 3 or 4 and I am perfectly happy. At 46? 

SI had us at C+. That is where I am at. I went C but could go up to C+.

We drafted a lot of bodies in the trenches. We were bottom 5 (or worse) in sacks, run defense, run stuff rate, sacks allowed, rushing yards, guard play, and a myriad of other OL/DL stats. I like the defensive guys a lot more that the offensive hogs. We are gonna need some high end talent to stop getting pushed around by Balt, Pitt, and now Cleveland. On both sides of the ball. I don't think we added that on O.

We had 10 picks. We got 1 surefire starter on offense/defense (Chase). One guy who will compete for a starting spot at a spot he has never played (Carman). Some good rotational pieces on D with some upside (Ossai, Sample, Shelvin). And a starting PK we took at least 1 round too soon.

We failed to significantly upgrade the OL in my view, which should have been priority #1, #2, and #3. Again, YMMV. 
Reply/Quote
I know that I posted a grade in the poll, but honestly, it's way too soon. Let's check back in 3 years.

Like right now, we should be evaluating the 2018 draft, and deciding weather it lived up to the knee-jerk, instant grades or not.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If the media is right about Carman: C
If the coaches are right about Carman: A+
If it's somewhere in between: B

I went with B.
Reply/Quote
The bengals killed it outside the carman pick but I must say
Sewell and Marshall is better than chase and carman in my opinion
Reply/Quote
I'd give them a PSR of 5.8 on survival skills.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 09:10 AM)GodFather Wrote: Playoff spot? I don't see this team moving out of last place in the division this year never mind making the playoffs. 

I think they whiffed this year as a whole with the offensive line in both free agency and draft. They needed a complete overhaul and nothing less. That didn't happen. Pollack is so much better than Turner and think he will do good things but he needs talent. His OL was dead last this past season with he Jets in QB pressures, and when he did great in Dallas, Pollack had a great OL to work with. 

I just don't want to see Burrow with matching scars on both knees after this season..

I think a "complete overhaul" is a bit extreme.

Two of the Bengals OL starters (three if you include XSF) had good pass blocking grades - Jonah Williams and Trey Hopkins.
The issues in pass protection primarily came from Jordan, Redmond, Spain, and Hart.

Jonah and Hopkins will be returning.
Price will be a temporary fill-in for Hopkins until he's ready, and I suspect newly drafted Hill will back him up.
XSF and Spain will battle it out for one of the OG spots.
I expect Carman to take the other OG spot.
Reiff replaces Hart, and is way better in pass protection.

I do wish they added a better OG in FA than Spain, but they were stupid with freeing up their cap in time and lost out on some talent.
I'm willing to give Jonah and Hopkins one more year to see if they need replaced.
I do think Carman and Reiff will be upgrades over Hart and Jordan.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote